: STS V OEM WHEELS--Problems??

Jeff K.
08-18-09, 06:57 PM
My V's wheels are sort of staining. First the right front, then the rear right, then the rear left. The dealer replaced the 2 worst with new wheels, but I noticed one of them is starting the stain. A slight, light discoloration--not noticeable from a distance, but close exam shows the spotting.

I wash weekly, and following my detailers advice use only diletuted "Simple Green" which he says they use as the base doesn't harm wheels. The dealer agreed Simple Green was fine. (Otherwise why would he have replaced them?)

I never wash them hot and use very soft towels.

I live in Vegas--so no salt from snow, etc. Always garaged.

Anyone else had this happen??

Thanks!

WillySTS
08-18-09, 07:17 PM
I've seen it on a few cars. I recently got a couple of wheels from a totaled V and those wheels were stained. When I first got my car I polished and protected them with Zaino Z through 8 and my wheels aren't stained. We painted a customers wheels for this staining you speak of(and they are now a slightly different color). That's my experience with them.

jwolf1010
08-18-09, 08:40 PM
I have noticed it also only on my right front.

inurok
08-18-09, 08:44 PM
Mine are too covered with brake dust to ever notice. I will check it out on my next car wash. The other set i received from the dealer seem to be blemish free.

CIWS
08-18-09, 10:16 PM
Sorry man, mine are chromed.

55cadillacking
08-19-09, 01:35 AM
Yeah, best way to lose the stains is to gain the chrome! What more reason do you need?

inurok
08-19-09, 01:48 AM
Yeah, best way to lose the stains is to gain the chrome! What more reason do you need?

Until that starts to peel off in a couple of years.....

CIWS
08-19-09, 08:22 AM
Not if they do a good job in the process. Besides if you're like me and got them through the dealership, that's their dog to deal with. :)

inurok
08-19-09, 08:28 AM
Not if they do a good job in the process. Besides if you're like me and got them through the dealership, that's their dog to deal with. :)

True I just know chrome will flake as it ages but yeah quality matters.

CIWS
08-19-09, 08:30 AM
True I just know chrome will flake as it ages.

This is true with humans as well. :D

55cadillacking
08-19-09, 11:09 AM
True I just know chrome will flake as it ages but yeah quality matters.
Jebus, what's with Eeyore over here?! And the paint will begin to fade, the leather will crack, the tires will show wear, the engine will being to break down, the windshield will get cracks.....talk about a DOWNER!!

inurok
08-19-09, 11:26 AM
Jebus, what's with Eeyore over here?! And the paint will begin to fade, the leather will crack, the tires will show wear, the engine will being to break down, the windshield will get cracks.....talk about a DOWNER!!

Dont get you panties in a bind miss....:hmm:

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-20-09, 11:48 AM
Jebus, what's with Eeyore over here?! talk about a DOWNER!! This is kind of funny, mind if I steal this comment?:yup:

Jeff K.
08-20-09, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try the Zaino suggestion. Sorry, no complaints about leather, etc. Just the black paint (I love the color), but with desert winds, and the crap in Vegas air, it is dusty the day after--or afternoon after the morning I wash. But, love the car. Will drive it to San Diego this weekend to blow it out a bit and see how many Beamers want to pass me while my wife says: "How fats are you going?"

Thanks again!

55cadillacking
08-20-09, 08:43 PM
Environmental factors such as wind, dust, and pollen up here ensure my car is dusty by the time I can get it home from the wash! Luckily, the silver does a good job of hiding it. I had a Sport Red Metallic G8 that would become dirty as I was drying it. Some paint just seems easier to keep clean, doesn't it?

As for the Eeyore comment, it was made in jest, so feel free to use it all you want!

leija_01
08-21-09, 03:32 AM
powdercoat em. problem solved.

Berger 93
08-21-09, 01:20 PM
Other than chips and my wheels are fine . . . I use absolutely NO chemicals of any kind . . .

The surface of a wheel should be cared for the exact same way you car for your paint . . . the "cleaners" strip any and all protection fron the wheel surface and causes them to stain/corrode/look ugly . . .

You don't use Simple Green on the paint of your car's body, so why would you use it on the paint of your car's wheel? . . .

WillySTS
08-24-09, 12:16 PM
Other than chips and my wheels are fine . . . I use absolutely NO chemicals of any kind . . .

The surface of a wheel should be cared for the exact same way you car for your paint . . . the "cleaners" strip any and all protection fron the wheel surface and causes them to stain/corrode/look ugly . . .

You don't use Simple Green on the paint of your car's body, so why would you use it on the paint of your car's wheel? . . .:tisk:
Tru Dat.:alchi:

johnb21
08-24-09, 01:11 PM
i have the same issue with both fronts, but rears are fine. i am the second owner, and didn't really noticed the day I purchased the car. the car hadn't been detailed at that point.
i too only use simple green on my wheels and it has nothing to do with SG, otherwise i would notice issues with my rears. i honesty think it is a manf issue, not wheel cleaner...
I only use SG because it is mild, versus some of the acid based wheel cleaners on the market. You could use it on your paint, but I would dilute first. Plus, my paint doesn't have corrosive brake dust on it..:)

Berger 93
08-26-09, 11:02 AM
I only use SG because it is mild . . . . . . beleive that if you want, but it is a CLEANER . . . a strong one at that even diluted it can and will ruin the finish on aluminum, including wheels . . .

You could use it on your paint, but I would dilute first. Not a chance in hell . . . the ONLY painted item I own that gets hit with Simple Green is my white enclosed car hauler . . . .

Plus, my paint doesn't have corrosive brake dust on it..:)

So your wheels get brake dust on them, but you SERIOUSLY beleive that brake dust magically does not get on your car's paint? . . . .

My V has over 20,000 miles, and other than a few chips look as good as new . . . I have NEVER used a "cleaner" on them . . . Keep the surface clean and SEALED with a good wax and there should not be an issue . . . cleaners strip off any type of protection, thus allowing the wheels to stain more . . .

johnb21
08-26-09, 02:03 PM
So I take it you clean your wheels with water?
I am not trying to be sarcastic here...

I agree Simple Green may/will remove the wax on my wheels. I try to wax my wheels from time to time, but unfortunately my kids won't let me make it priority.

bobs-sts-v
08-26-09, 02:55 PM
I agree with Berger. I use pretty much only water as well. I have 2 sets of wheels (summer chromes and winter OEMs), which each get cleaned and waxed when I change the tires each Spring and late Fall. I use the wheel wax from the tire dealer and it seems to be working quite well. Not a scratch, fade or stain on either set of my rims. And if you want to get rid of the brake dust, get some Hawk HPS pads on there - you will certainly appreciate the difference! If you wash weekly, you won't even find any betweeen washes.

Bob

Berger 93
08-26-09, 05:20 PM
So I take it you clean your wheels with water?

I wash my car and my wheels with a proper "soap" designed specifically for washing a car . .

Just as one uses dish soap to wash the dishes, shampoo to wash one's hair, laundry detergent to clean clothes . . .

55cadillacking
08-26-09, 08:03 PM
Since exchanging the OEM pads with the Hawks, keeping the V's wheels clean has been pretty easy. I use the high-pressure soap spray at the car wash and use a little detailing spray to finish them off. That's on my chrome stockers.

On my other car, the brake dust is even worse than the original OEM pads on the Caddy. I use a product from Titanium that says it does not harm the finish of wheels - am I an idiot for believing this? The car is only a month old, I've used it about 5 times - should I stop? The stuff really does a good job of loosening the caked on brake dust, but I don't want to frig them up in the long run. Are the labels lying? Surely not....

WillySTS
08-27-09, 01:05 PM
Car wash does an excellent job of cleaning the wheels, at least the Zaino car was does, and I still have OEM "Mega Dust" brake pads on my car. I Wipe them off between washes and it comes right off. But, then, they do have Zaino polish on them.

johnb21
08-28-09, 12:07 AM
I wash my car and my wheels with a proper "soap" designed specifically for washing a car . .

Just as one uses dish soap to wash the dishes, shampoo to wash one's hair, laundry detergent to clean clothes . . .

Well Berger93, you continue to use your "proper" wheel cleaner and I will continue to use simple green.

To bad you are so "proper" with your V, since I really enjoy using my "inproper" ecu program (wait4me) in my V.

johnb21
08-28-09, 10:53 AM
sorry it was late when I posted..."improper vs inproper."

Berger 93
08-28-09, 03:20 PM
^ Geez didn't someone get all pissy . . . TOO bad, you feel so jaded . . .

In post number 21 you asked if I used "water" to wash my wheels, so excuse the hell out of me for answering your question.

I'll enjoy my V and you can enjoy yours . . .

Jeff K.
08-28-09, 06:52 PM
I think people are getting a bit "het up"! I do understand the logic for not using SG as I do not use it on the paint/body. I simply used it because my detailers said there is no way it could harm the wheels--but good point. And, in response to "weekly washing"--I wash nearly weekly, but agree, much brake dust will disappear with high pressure washing. I simply wished to find out if any one else felt the wheels seem to "spot/stain" rather quickly. I have other cars, as do most of you, but haven't experienced the staining I had on my wheels on the V.

I am in agreement I should try the Zaino, or another high quality treatment to sort of seal the wheels. But, seems they stain way to quickly.

thanks

johnb21
09-02-09, 10:38 PM
I was just snapping on Berger93, since his posts to the comments in this thread were so prideful.:worship:

I still have the same issue as you Jeff K., and I don't know how it happened since I wasn't the original owner. I am still a little confused as why some wheels stain and others don't.

Has you dealer helpped out at all? I know it looks like chemical abuse, but I am not convinced.

Jeff K.
09-03-09, 12:57 PM
As I mentioned, he replaced 2 with new wheels. He also knows that I and my detailer (when i use him) are the only persons to ever wash the car since I bought it. The dealer knows the person who details it and he is respected in the community as doing good work. So, I assume the dealer knew the car was being well taken care of and replaced the wheels as good will. I still have one that has some stains.

Many of the posts are quite correct. 80% of the time I can just wash the dust off with high power rinse cycle at the car wash. (I never use there soap cycle--I bring my own water with soap in a couple of 5 gallon buckets and wash by hand after several minutes of rinse.)

I am going to try the Zaino--I never used it but hear very positive things.