: Threw a check engine code

tbss08
08-17-09, 06:55 PM
On the way to work this AM, got a check engine light. Called OnStar to have them run the diagnostics. They come back with "The code is about the engine break in, don't worry about it. The code will reset in 3-4 cold starts or about 50 miles."
I promptly raised the :bsflag: and set up an appointment to get the code read when the dealer opened.
The code was a P0101. The connector to the MAF was loose. I'll see if the code stays cleared.
Two things the tech did which hit a raw nerve, 1) Got into the car with no seat protector. This is my first trip to a Cadillac service department but every other car I've had at a Chevy dealership put on a seat protector to cover the seat.
2) Stopped on his way out with three different techs hanging their hands on the car. There are handprints on a nice clean freshly waxed car door on both sides.
I mentioned this to the service adviser and was brushed off. I thanked them, left and intend to remind them of this on their survey.

nynd
08-17-09, 08:03 PM
Ohhh I hate that! When they don't respect the car the way it should! My biggest fear is always seeing a mechanic with the infamous screwdriver in his back pocket sit and rip your seat and then say "it came in like that"... not on my car, but seen it elsewhere...

Hawkeye2
08-17-09, 08:10 PM
Oh, I could tell stories. Now, when I drop off my car at a dealership I make the service advisor walk around
and note any prior damages. I have had 2 occasions where my car needed body work after being at a
dealership. Both times they claimed it was like that when I dropped it off! Of course one time it fell off
the hoist, it was hard for them to deny that one!

nynd
08-17-09, 08:12 PM
OUCH - off the hoist? Damn! I do the same with my car when and only if I really need to take it to the dealer. Seems at times, you go in with one problem, come out with others.

tbss08
08-17-09, 08:14 PM
How about having the hoist next to yours lowered on your open car door? My 07 Z06 had that among other presents from the dealer. I am thinking of buying my own scanner in case this problem comes up again. I have a scanner for my 96 Impala SS but the new one would be able to do both the TrailBlazer SS and the V.

Titaniumseeker
08-17-09, 08:35 PM
How about the technician that has keys dangling from his belt and jumps into your car only to scratch the console trim?

Gary Wells
08-17-09, 09:12 PM
How about having the hoist next to yours lowered on your open car door? My 07 Z06 had that among other presents from the dealer. I am thinking of buying my own scanner in case this problem comes up again. I have a scanner for my 96 Impala SS but the new one would be able to do both the TrailBlazer SS and the V.

What options do we have for scanners? Least pricey? most pricey? what's the most practical?

neuronbob
08-17-09, 10:32 PM
I carry a Scanguage II in my car at all times. It has saved my butt on one occasion in this car already, and has also helped in my S2000 (diagnosed a loose gas cap). It's worth the $160 or whatever to have full situational awareness with a check engine light.

PS I didn't know that OnStar could give code diagnostics.

tbss08
08-17-09, 10:41 PM
On Star can give you diagnostics on your car. I've got an Autoxray for OBDII cars but it does not support the CAN mode. I want to upgrade and am looking at another AutoXray. It has SD card slots to add other components like suspension, brakes etc. The write up says it only supports through 2006 though. I've sent them an email and I'll see what they send back.

Florian
08-18-09, 10:23 AM
Scanner, schmanner....buy software...it may be more expensive, but you can do tons more. If you have some serious dough to spend, buy a Tech2.

F

CIWS
08-18-09, 03:11 PM
A handheld code reader/scanner that can read and clear the codes is relatively cheap.
Amazon.com: Actron CP9175 AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner with Freeze Frame Data for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9175-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B000FJS8O6)

I bought one when I had the 05 CTS-V, good to have in case you pop a CEL or someone you know. If you're going to Mod the car I recommend getting one. If you're going to do performance mods that add HP Florian advice is fair and should be considered. But I understand not everyone is comfortable with that type of setup and sometimes just want to know what's triggered the CEL.

tedcmiller
08-18-09, 03:19 PM
Not sure how a scanner can tell the dealer that it was his guy that ripped your seat with a screw driver in his pocket.

In any case, if you take Florain's advice you must also have a computer to run the software on and a cable to connect the computer to the car. I had a good scanner (Actron), but it did not support the CAN protocol. So, I bought another Actron scanner (about $170) with the necessary bells and whistles (CAN for example). As Florian says, if you have lots of money to burn get a Tech 2. It won't require a computer and has the necessary cable for attachment to the car.

aco
08-18-09, 03:37 PM
With regard to scanners, for those with an iPhone/iTouch, try out Rev, http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/, it is $39.99 in the App Store. To connect to the OBDII port, you can use Kiwi WiFi, $149, http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/buynow.html. It can read and reset codes, plus a whole lot of other things. I am hoping that eventually someone will write code that allows you to upload a tune.

aco
08-18-09, 03:40 PM
BTW, I already sent an email to SCT if they were/would think about writing iPhone/iTouch app for tunes. Have not heard back from them. I don't really expect to since they make their mony on selling the hardware.

CIWS
08-18-09, 03:47 PM
I had a good scanner (Actron), but it did not support the CAN protocol. So, I bought another Actron scanner (about $170) with the necessary bells and whistles (CAN for example).

If you look at the model of the link I posted it supports CAN and is approx 98.00 (some a little cheaper)

tedcmiller
08-18-09, 09:55 PM
CIWS: Yours is cheaper, but the Actron 9175 is a reader only (per the Actron web site). And, I bought my Actron 9185, which is a true scanner, locally (Sears - no mail order).

CIWS
08-18-09, 10:25 PM
CIWS: Yours is cheaper, but the Actron 9175 is a reader only (per the Actron web site). And, I bought my Actron 9185, which is a true scanner, locally (Sears - no mail order).

That is correct. The model I linked to reads the codes and clears the CEL, but is CAN compliant.

"The CP9175 is the Next Generation of Actron Scan Tools- designed by and built with Market Intelligence derived from you-the consumers. The new OBD II AutoScanner has more functions and benefits than other code readers currently available in the aftermarket. All Actron code readers and scan tools are CAN compliant."