: Need help guys

CaddyshackCadillac
08-17-09, 05:04 PM
Ok so when i bought my 1993 cadillac fleetwood i was driving back after driving for 40 minutes it started bucking and backfiring so since then i have replaced the egr,tps replaced exhaust with catalytic converter and have replaced all plugs and wires so it has been driving much better since but still bogged down like somethings holding it back so i was driving home yesterday and go over a bump on the highway all of a sudden the checkengine light and traction control light both come on and it stars backfiring and sputters and dies on the highway while doing 65 i switch to nuetral crank it she starts i pull over car was doing a hesitation thing until i stopped then i shut her off and restarted it no chk engine and no traction control light and she seems to be decent still sluggish and bogged down on acceleration like if someone was holding her back and since i cant be sure but i think im hearing a metal ping during certain gear ...any ideas would be greatly appreciated:cookoo:

jey
08-17-09, 05:49 PM
Trying change the distributor rotor and cap.

sven914
08-17-09, 06:01 PM
The PCV valve was originally designed as an anti-backfire valve, and if it is not functioning properly then it will cause a vacuum leak, which can cause allot of the symptoms you describe. To check if it is working right, unhook it (it should be in one of the valve covers) and shake it. If it rattles then it is good.

Backfire can also be caused by improperly seating valves, or a problem with the A.I.R. (Air Injection Reactor) pump, which heats the catalytic converter.

jayoldschool
08-17-09, 06:03 PM
After cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, clogged cat. Those are my guesses in order of probability.

CaddyshackCadillac
08-17-09, 06:28 PM
After cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, clogged cat. Those are my guesses in order of probability.

cap and rotor changed already pcv valve also changed where is the fuel filter on this car located? also what are symptoms of a bad torque converter

CaddyshackCadillac
08-18-09, 09:36 AM
anyony?????????????thx for your current responses

jayoldschool
08-18-09, 12:46 PM
Fuel filter will be on the frame rail in front of the rear tire. Cheap and easy to change. If that doesn't fix it, my next guess is fuel pump.

CaddyshackCadillac
08-18-09, 12:49 PM
thx to the resident mechanic ill go buy one and change it out and see what happens

jayoldschool
08-18-09, 12:57 PM
Make sure you release the pressure in the tank (remove gas cap), wear eye protection, and have a pan under the filter. Gas will come out.

sven914
08-18-09, 03:53 PM
also what are symptoms of a bad torque converter

A bad torque converter will result in slippage in the drive-line, burning of the ATF, foaming of the fluid, loss of fluid, noticeable vibration, and poor shifts.

A bad torque converter clutch is more common and would be more noticeable as getting stuck in the lock up position. When that happens, the transmission will feel like it is locked into gear. If the TCC is locked in 2nd, then the car will push when you try to stop, and the engine will probably stall. If you are accelerating, then you will feel the engine holding back, and it will not want to move past 2nd. A bad TCC that isn't working at all (not getting stuck) would mostly be noticeable with a drop in fuel economy, and not with the vehicle's overall performance.