Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Dreamin 
#1 ·
Serious question:

TV: 50" Panasonic Plasma HDTV... $5100 online... Cant go with cheaper DLP or LCD RP TV due to viewing angle issues. It's the plasma or stick to my current sucky 27" CRT. Would get Voom, lots of HD content.

V: Full meal deal...Heads, Cam, intake, exhaust, tuning... $5K +/-. MTI has a 475fwhp package. If I decide to spend the money on the car... i might wait until the Magnuson S/C is available.

Advice please...

#8 ·
Big Jim 2 said:
Alex,

What is the problem with MTI? I was thinking about sending my V when It comes in. Mallett also has a 470HP package but it is $10,000 more ($16,000) Vs MTI at $6,300.
Alex -

In fairness to MallettCars:

5.7L (346 cid) LS6, 471 HP @ 6000, 433 lb-ft @ 4600
* CUSTOM PORTED LS6 HEADS, FLOW & CC MATCHED
* CUSTOM CAMSHAFT, VALVE SPRINGS, AND PUSHRODS
* MALLETT/CORSA STAINLESS MUFFLER SYSTEM - headers?
(not included in MTI setup - simply and x-pipe grafted in from MTI)
* AGGRESSIVE VEHICLE STANCE: LOWERED/RAKED 3/4"
* PERFORMANCE ALL-WHEEL ALIGNMENT
* MALLETT REAR WHEEL-HOP STABILIZER SYSTEM
(indicates some suspension work that MTI doesn't perform)
* WORLD FAMOUS MALLETT BILLET SHIFTER
(again, not included in MTI deal)
* EXCLUSIVE MALLETT BODY GRAPHICS
* MALLETT GRAPHICS EMBROIDERED ON SEAT HEADRESTS
* MALLETT SERIAL NUMBER PLAQUE
* 0-60 under 4.4 sec.
(I'll bet Mallett will back this last statement up with a guarantee. The other items can arguably add to the value of the car for resale, but are somewhat unimportant to most of us, I think).

So, really, it doesn't make sense to compare the two in my book. If we're talking engine mods alone I suppose it does, but you will get certainly a lot more from Mallett.

I've been thinking of it like this:

I buy Corsa = $1,000? - probably a 1 hour install and easy to do - louder than Mallett? I think so from what I've read/heard.
I already bought shifter = $450 - installed myself - 2 hours
Headers? = $1,000 + install
Engine components = $5,000 or so plus installation + $1,500? - call it $6500
Suspension work? What does Mallett do? I don't know - but I have sent an email asking and will let all of you know what I find out. Bet we would spend $1,000 to duplicate it, if not more (new springs?).

So I'm at about $8,500 plus labor - call it $11,000 to do it myself - plus a dyno tune or two. For the additional price it installed and tested professionally with guaranteed results. They botch it - they fix it.

I wouldn't say the Mallett deal is a bargain by any means...but it makes sense. Now, I'm not saying anything negative about MTI as I have no experience with them to do so. I think their package is probably a great way to go as well - but it is ENGINE MODIFICATIONS ONLY while Mallett is addressing issues with the car as a whole. Two different approaches.

Mallett's Price =

$16,500.00 + shipping of my car from NV and 4-5 weeks without her...now that part I can't handle. Afford? Sure, but I'd probably just as well buy another V and ship it out, selling my current one on the return, or something along those lines (a year from now I'm thinking).

Just my .019999999 dollars.

#9 ·
Dreamin'

I don't know about your experience and desire with modified cars, so please excuse my assumptions that you may not have done this kind of thing before. There are clearly many downsides with the mods:

1. You will effectively be a test mule for how the chassis/drivetrain in the V handles the upgrades.
2. You will lose alot of warranty coverage related to the engine, much of the drivetrain, and so on.
3. The upgrade $ will never be recouped when you sell, and the market for a newer car that SHOULD have a full warranty but in fact really doesn't will mean less $ than an unmodified car that is under warranty.
4. You will deal with headaches, frustartion, and $ when problems need to be diagnosed and fixes made.

If you decide that you really aren't a modified car guy, then an HD flat panel TV sounds great. You may also want to check out LCD flat panels, as sizes are increasing and alot of the downsides of Plasma aren't there (noise, weight, reduction in brightness/lifespan), although inch-for-inch they are more expensive.

Good luck! Dan

#10 ·
Mallett also has a 470HP package but it is $10,000 more ($16,000) Vs MTI at $6,300.
Mallett is 400rwhp, MTI is more like 375rwhp (not saying the 25hp is worth the extra money, just pointing out a fact).
MTI dyno plot:

globed70 Thanks for the counter-point... concise, convincing points... I am nervous about the diff... it cant handle the stock power, what's it going to do with the extra? I have modified my cars in the past, and your point 4 hits home... but as the cliche goes: horsepower is like crack... highly addictive (on top of which you forget all the bad, only remember the good... with the horsepower i mean, of course :lildevil: !)

Need to give this all a lot more thought...

#11 ·
Big Jim 2 said:
Alex,

What is the problem with MTI? I was thinking about sending my V when It comes in. Mallett also has a 470HP package but it is $10,000 more ($16,000) Vs MTI at $6,300.
-Pricing is high
-They do not stand by the warranties on their work
-More power can be had for less money elsewhere

As stated above, the Mallet package comes with a lot of other stuff. I've never had any experience with them.

#12 ·
AFR heads are a super cheap way to add significant HP to the LS6. Look into those, I think they are $2500 with an $800-1k core for your stock heads. That's friggin cheap!

Personally unless you live in an area where you plan to drive the thing year round (my V season is almost over, soon it will be relinquished to carting hot women around in snow-less dating situations for the fall/winter) I'd wait till next spring when everything for the car is more well-tested and buy the TV.

Get a 61" DLP for $3200 and get the entire exhaust system also? Always a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.