: 2008 STS Check Engine Light

CaddyMan08
08-17-09, 08:22 AM
I have a 2008 STS and just had service done....the car just turned 24K and the check engine light came on for a few days and went off and prob will come on again in another few. Is there any way to reset this light prob would is for some service on the car. Looking forward to hearing back from everyone.

BaTu
08-17-09, 09:43 AM
If it goes off by itself, it may not be all that serious.... Make sure your gas cap get put back on tight if you pump your own ;)

But, I'd want to know too! So, having recently been to Costco, I notice they have an OBDII/CAN code reader/eraser for around $35.00.

Now this thing is no AutoEnginuity :D it's only going to read "generic" codes from the engine alone but, for the price, it has to be worth it!

mbnv992
08-17-09, 10:13 AM
I would have it checked anyway, just to be on the safe side.

BobbyV
08-27-09, 01:17 PM
The Check Engine light signals that an emission system fault has been detected - that's all. That it comes on and goes off indicates the problem is intermittent. On one trip the emissions diagnostic fails and turns on the light. The next trip the emissions diagnostic runs and passes and turns the light off. Does the light come on with rough roads, rainy days, after a car wash?

Your emission warranty will cover the repair so I'd make a service appointment with my dealer.

next2pool
08-27-09, 04:46 PM
You could go to Autozone and have them read it for free. The code will be stored even if the light is off, but many of them get purged after a certain number of ignition cycles. Could have been the gas cap or a series of misfires.

K STS
08-27-09, 04:55 PM
I just had one turn on for the first time since Ive owned it. Im willing to bet it was because I installed a 10" K&N conical open air element filter right on the end of the MAF.

HexWarrior5
08-28-09, 12:56 PM
:eyebrow:I had actually posted a thread about my own check engine light...I literally had that problem taken care of yesterday and got my car back from the dealer today. About 8 months ago I installed a K & N drop-in replacement filter, despite several of people's warnings, only to realize that the warnings came true. The oil-lubricated filter began to screw up the mass air flow sensor...so the dealer replaced it with the stock one :( and cleaned the system, now the light is gone and the car does feel to run smoother. Btw, 2005 STS V8 w/ corsa exhaust (awesome investment :)) Word of advice, if you're gonna do work on your air intake, don't use an oiled filter, in fact, im looking into the Volant CAI system with their new oil free filter.

K STS
08-28-09, 01:34 PM
Damnit.

K STS
08-28-09, 01:34 PM
So there is no way to keept he K&N with the factory MAF

BaTu
08-28-09, 03:33 PM
I don't know why anyone would use one in the first place,,,,,,

They let way too much dirt into your engine. I can't tell you how many "dusted" turbochargers they've destroyed in diesel trucks I've seen :(

Go "filterless" it's just a bit worse, but you'll get Great airflow ;)

Superjim
08-29-09, 06:27 AM
I don't know why anyone would use one in the first place,,,,,,

They let way too much dirt into your engine. I can't tell you how many "dusted" turbochargers they've destroyed in diesel trucks I've seen :(

Go "filterless" it's just a bit worse, but you'll get Great airflow ;)

^^^^^^ I agree with BaTu.
Ain't worth the hassle.

Texas Jim

K STS
08-29-09, 12:53 PM
How do you guys feel about replacing the K&N with a dry filter, like a volant?