: Headlight Adjustment

R1chard
08-17-09, 01:40 AM
After driving tonight I realized how my low beams could stand to be adjusted up slightly. I looked through the owner's manual however no where it mentions anything regarding headlight adjustment.

Does anyone have any info regarding adjusting headlight height?

Thanks!
Richard

PS> My car in question is a 2006 STS4 V8 with HID.

snum1fan
08-17-09, 02:16 AM
The headlight can be adjusted only up and down, not see to side. If you take the black plastic covers off under the hood, and look down behind the headlights there is a rod with a little bowl looking thing on top. You stick a Allen wrench or an Allen key on a screwdriver is better and turn to adjust.

Search Ebay for Cadillac STS headlight, and look at the pictures of them. You will see the adjustment rod on the back of them. There is a guide that the rod clicks into, so yours may not be sticking straight up and down if they got moved.

inurok
08-17-09, 04:23 AM
I thought OEM HID was self leveling?

R1chard
08-17-09, 04:49 AM
I thought OEM HID was self leveling?

That's a good question :noidea:

inurok
08-17-09, 04:59 AM
That's a good question :noidea:

I am pretty sure they are...anyway I never thought the STS lit the road very well either. My previous car had both hi and low HID and lit the road so much better.

snum1fan
08-17-09, 05:04 AM
It may be, but if you look at some HID Xenon light pictures on Ebay, ones with pictures of the back of the light, you can see the adjustment rod on the back. So I dunno

inurok
08-17-09, 05:06 AM
It may be, but if you look at some HID Xenon light pictures on Ebay, ones with pictures of the back of the light, you can see the adjustment rod on the back. So I dunno

Self leveling is required by the govt on cars that come with HID so you cant blind people. Dont want to adjust it and break the self leveling feature ???

ewill3rd
08-17-09, 07:36 AM
They are not self leveling, they do require vertical adjustment.

Some of the newer ones have a turning feature that allows the lights to move left and right to light the road better in turns.
That is an option though I believe.
As stated there is no horizontal adjustment except to manipulate the mounting points for the lamps themselves.

Also this should be done with proper equipment, not just blindly turning the screw to raise them up.

inurok
08-17-09, 07:56 AM
They are not self leveling, they do require vertical adjustment.

Some of the newer ones have a turning feature that allows the lights to move left and right to light the road better in turns.
That is an option though I believe.
As stated there is no horizontal adjustment except to manipulate the mounting points for the lamps themselves.

Also this should be done with proper equipment, not just blindly turning the screw to raise them up.

Strange because my window stick lists self leveling headlights as a feature of my 2006 sts-v??? My 2003 BMW 745i had self leveling because I would see the light bounce up and down while leveling at night.

ewill3rd
08-17-09, 09:17 AM
I have seen some cars with exports that have headlights that adjust up and down for speed but no "self-leveling" feature have I ever heard of.
PM me the last 8 and I'll look at the RPO's to see if I see an option for that.
I'll check the manual in a bit.

I do see a TR7 self leveling option... still researching....

ewill3rd
08-17-09, 09:21 AM
Okay so it looks like TR7 "self leveling" is based in inputs from a front and rear suspension sensor, however a base aim would still be required.
The self leveling would be to adjust the lamps for ride height changes but there is no "zero" unless the lamps are properly aimed first.
;)

Learn something new every day.

inurok
08-17-09, 03:35 PM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/sitewide/diamond_9x9.gif Standard Features

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/cadillac/stsv/100620916/standard.html

R1chard
08-18-09, 03:41 AM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/sitewide/diamond_9x9.gif Standard Features

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/cadillac/stsv/100620916/standard.html

Now if you look at same website for a 2006 STS V8 it does not mention self leveling headlights.
Standard Features (http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/cadillac/sts/100543668/standard.html)

:hmm:

ewill3rd
08-18-09, 09:12 AM
I hope my point about aiming them was understood.
They MUST be properly aimed. Self leveling is based on the assumption that they are properly aimed, it doesn't mean they aim themselves.
It means they adjust for the load in the vehicle... such as if you have a bunch of stuff in the trunk you don't want to be birdwatching while you drive home in the dark.

R1chard
08-22-09, 11:11 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that I have managed to adjust my headlights vertically. I used snum1fan's recommendation and all I needed was an allen wrench. Thanks!

inurok
08-24-09, 07:56 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that I have managed to adjust my headlights vertically. I used snum1fan's recommendation and all I needed was an allen wrench. Thanks!

Glad you got them figured out

CStradling24
10-02-09, 10:31 PM
Think you all might find this interesting...

"AUTOMATIC HEADLAMP LEVELING - EXPORT ONLY
The Automatic Headlamp Leveling systems consist of the following components:

* Headlamp leveling module
* Headlamp leveling actuator - left
* Headlamp leveling actuator - right
* Suspension position sensor - LF
* Suspension position sensor - LR

The automatic headlamp leveling system automatically maintains the vertical alignment of the headlamps when the vehicle load and driving conditions change. The headlamp leveling module receives inputs from the front and rear suspension position sensors to determine vehicle pitch. The suspension position sensors send an output to the headlamp leveling module as the vehicle suspension compresses and rebounds. The headlamp leveling module calculates the difference in vehicle pitch and sends a command to the headlamp leveling actuators. The headlamp leveling actuators drive the headlamps to the position commanded by the headlamp leveling module. The headlamp leveling system also monitors the performance of the high intensity discharge (HID) bulb and ballast. When the headlamp switch is placed in the ON position the headlamps will go down, and then back up to the center position."

Two big keys here, one it says export only. The second being that when you turn the lights on (with headlight leveling) they should go down and then back up. This is the easiest way to see if you have it. I obviously do not because my lights don't do that. Now this gets me wondering, can we change this with a scan tool? The parts should all be installed on our cars its just not activated right? If this is the case I know it is possible to go in and change the settings so that when you activate your brights, your fogs STAY on. This setting is for exports only, however with the scan tool we can change that.