: 2009 NAV Disk

KARL DAHLEN
08-16-09, 04:05 PM
Someone may be interested in this item on Ebay 180397393217. Have a feeling it will not last long!

marathonman89
08-16-09, 04:29 PM
FYI

Pretty sure the 2008 STS and 2009 STS use the same Navigation System and same Software. My 2008 STS came with a set of Two (2) DVD Disks which were Ver 4.0. The most current software, version is 5.0 which also consists of a two disk set, which I have upgraded to. And many others on this forum, for reasons unknown to any of us, are still waiting for upgrades to Ver 5.0 that are on back order.

By the way, the only difference I can tell from Ver 4.0 to Ver 5.0 is the Ver 5.0 has a more current list of POIs.

So - buyer beware.

Regards to all,

Pete

K STS
08-16-09, 06:18 PM
Wait, what would be the purpose of a 2 disc set?

marathonman89
08-16-09, 06:33 PM
Hello,

Disk 1 covers eastern USA and Disk 2 covers western USA. Both disks overlap each other by one state east or west.

Pete

K STS
08-16-09, 07:23 PM
That would explain how I got from Texas to Ohio with no problems.

next2pool
08-16-09, 11:00 PM

Bummer dude!! OK just kidding

Force-1
08-17-09, 08:17 AM

If you drive from OH to PA and use the NAV it will require you to swap disks.

EChas3
08-17-09, 12:49 PM
If you drive from OH to PA and use the NAV it will require you to swap disks.

I don't think this is so. Beginning with version 4.0 there are two disks. All map information is contained on both disks. The Eastern Seaboard states' POI's are not on the 'West' disk. POI's west of the Mississippi are not on the 'East' disk. Maybe later versions reduce the overlap.

When changing regions, you do need to change the Nav to look in your new region for it to find new destinations. Changing disks and/or Nav reprogramming also may require you to change your current region.

:cool:

trackbait
08-17-09, 08:23 PM
I've found that my Garmin suction cup sticks nicely to the the General's nav screen. Touch and go on-the-fly and POI's everywhere.

K STS
08-17-09, 09:45 PM
No thanks, my GM nav works perfect =)

Superjim
08-17-09, 10:14 PM
No thanks, my GM nav works perfect =)

So does mine.

Texas Jim

MacMuse
08-17-09, 10:57 PM
I'm still very disappointed with the NAV's lack of current roadway information (a missing 18 mile stretch of 6 lane tollway that's been open for over two years), but I've had recent excellent experiences using the NAV system to just find POI's.

For me the difference comes down to ease of data entry. Entering a street address on the NAV is a horrid process compared to my TomTom experience. But the POI search process is relatively painless on the NAV. Just throw in a few letters of the name or even category, hit LIST, and I'm getting great results.

OlManRivah
08-18-09, 07:34 PM
The Nav is what it is. Ok for general use. If I need to get somewhere important I just bring along my Garmin Nuvi.:)

inurok
08-18-09, 07:53 PM
Yeah the nav in the caddy could be a bit more friendly but its better than the OEM nav in my previous car.

widmann@hotmail.com
08-18-09, 08:19 PM
I've found that my Garmin suction cup sticks nicely to the the General's nav screen. Touch and go on-the-fly and POI's everywhere.

now that's funny.. :) I'm going on a trip later this week.. I'll be playing movies on the in-dash while follwing the Garmin..