: Blacked out

sts4ga
08-16-09, 11:33 AM
I want to black out the grill, taillights and headlights on my '06. I looked through the pics thread but a lot of them are missing etc.

Any ideas on products, techniques to achieve the "all black" look?

Pics would be nice.

lreddiablo
08-17-09, 05:15 PM
The grill get painted by a pro, preferably the dealer, should cost under $200, thats where I got mine done. As for blacking the lights I tried the tinting from rvinyl and I just couldnt get it done without leaving creases. I think the best bet and what I plan on doing is getting them painted as well. My local pro shop had some other cars that looked great and referred me to a guy who does great work and would do ALL lights (rear front and sidemarkers) for about $600. I want to completely back out the big ugly blackout lights and the side markers, but just think I will do tinting on the fogs, healights, taillights, and 3rd break light (I have clears right now for the taillights and 3rd breaklight. And yes I have a black STS4. Just got the stock 18"s powdercoated flat black, looks awsome. Once I get the lights done I'll finally be done fixing up this bitch and I'll post some pics!

sts4ga
08-17-09, 09:10 PM
The grill get painted by a pro, preferably the dealer, should cost under $200, thats where I got mine done. As for blacking the lights I tried the tinting from rvinyl and I just couldnt get it done without leaving creases. I think the best bet and what I plan on doing is getting them painted as well. My local pro shop had some other cars that looked great and referred me to a guy who does great work and would do ALL lights (rear front and sidemarkers) for about $600. I want to completely back out the big ugly blackout lights and the side markers, but just think I will do tinting on the fogs, healights, taillights, and 3rd break light (I have clears right now for the taillights and 3rd breaklight. And yes I have a black STS4. Just got the stock 18"s powdercoated flat black, looks awsome. Once I get the lights done I'll finally be done fixing up this bitch and I'll post some pics!

Sounds like we have the same vision :thumbsup: I'd like to see some pics!

Black/black STS4 here as well.

lreddiablo
08-17-09, 10:42 PM
Just re-reading my post, assume u know what I meant but my dyslexia made me mis-say: black out the big ugly backup lights. I'm about to leave town so may not really have time to get pics up before, may be a couple weeks, I've just held off on posting pics until the master plan is finished

sts4ga
08-17-09, 11:06 PM
Just re-reading my post, assume u know what I meant but my dyslexia made me mis-say: black out the big ugly backup lights. I'm about to leave town so may not really have time to get pics up before, may be a couple weeks, I've just held off on posting pics until the master plan is finished

Yea, after reading it a couple of times I figured it out!

EChas3
08-18-09, 12:07 AM
Another 2006 Black/black STS4 here! While I'm not going Blacked Out, I am going to have the grille painted. I'm just debating whether to match the black 'w clearcoat or satin to keep the brushed effect on the current grey grille.

lreddiablo
08-19-09, 06:09 PM
I went with clearcoat - match the rest of the car paint, looks great!