: Pulling brakes on 1968 DeVille...

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-16-09, 09:59 AM
Hello,
I drive a 1968 DeVille over here in Sweden. A while ago I noticed that the car was pulling heavily to the right when braking at low speeds. I removed the front left drum and examined the left wheel cylinder. Saw that it was leaking brake fluid so I replaced it. Bled the brake system and adjusted both the front brake starwheels. Still it pulled to the right when braking (not at first but after a few stops). I then removed the front right drum and examined the brake linings and drum surface but found no trace of grease, oil, dirt or so.
I live along a gravelroad and when making immediate, hard stops I can see in the gravel that the right front wheel makes much more of a mark, so I'm pretty sure the pulling has got to do with the brakes (and not the suspension or other possibilities)
Well, now I'm a bit clueless...
Any ideas are much welcome !
Cheers from Stockholm, Sweden.

01devilledts
08-16-09, 09:19 PM
maybe a bubble or something in the line not allowing the fluid to make it from the master cylinder to the wheel?

have you bled the system?

77CDV
08-16-09, 09:23 PM
I can only think that the right wheel cylinder is binding or that the front drums need resurfacing.

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-17-09, 03:37 AM
The thing I've noticed is that during the first few stops (after the car hasn't been driven for a day or two) the brakes don't seem to pull in either way but after a while it pulls quite bad to the right.
Could this be the symptoms of a binding right wheel cylinder ?

The brake hoses are like 4 years old so I suppose they should be OK.
I have bled the system; I guess I could do that again just to be sure there's no air left.

Cheers from Sweden !

77CDV
08-18-09, 02:15 AM
Either the wheel cylinder or possibly weak springs. Bleeding the system again can't hurt, but I don't think it will help.

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-18-09, 03:51 AM
I have now bought a new wheel cylinder and will replace the old one tomorrow. Fingers crossed this will solve the problem !

77CDV
08-20-09, 01:23 AM
Keep us posted. I'm interested in how this turns out.

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-21-09, 03:49 PM
Well, now I have replaced the right wheel cylinder and have taken a test drive and the same pattern seem to occur...:
The first couple of stops it brakes evenly (doesn't pull in any direction) and when travelling higher speeds (above like 30 mph) it doesn't pull either BUT when slowing down (after having driven for a mile or two) and continuing to drive slow, it immediately starts to pull to the right again when applying the brakes...
So, anyone with any clues are much welcome to post their thoughts.
All the best from Sweden !

cadillac_al
08-22-09, 09:59 AM
Since you have access to gravel roads you should be able to tell which wheel is grabbing the most. Are you sure it isn't the rear wheels. I usually encounter this when the rear axle leaks on the rear brakes. If it is absolutely the front wheel then do you think they are both adjusted about the same? Maybe one adjuster is a little too tight making the brakes on that wheel get hot. Best of luck.

Garys
08-22-09, 04:02 PM
If brake fluid from the leaking wheel cylinder soaked into the brake shoes, even a little, that would for sure cause your brakes to grab.

Garys
08-23-09, 11:56 AM
Hi thought of something else that could cause your problem. Make sure the rubber brake lines (hoses) are in good condition. A bad (soft) hose can partially close off when pushing the brake pedal, causing uneven pressure to the front brakes.

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-23-09, 03:02 PM
Thanx for all the advice, guys.
The brake hoses were replaced by the owner before me and they look in very good shape.
I guess I could adjust the front brakes once again but when having done this before (and even backing off the right star wheel a bit extra) it seems to act just the same...: the first like 10 stops it brakes fine and then it starts pulling to the right again.
Like I wrote - I have bled the system but I wonder if there still might be some air in that front left brake line which finds it's way down after them, aproximately, 10 first stops making that brake not working properly then...?

Well, I'll keep you posted and I'm grateful for any other thoughts on this problem.
Cheers !

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-26-09, 04:14 AM
Hello again,

Well, I'm not sure exactly what cured the problem but when taking the car for a spin last night the pulling brakes wasn't there (!!).
I did pull the drums once more and noticed that on one of them the "anchor pin plate" (the one where the retracting springs to the brake shoes are attached) was a bit misplaced. It was placed on the bolt itself and not on top of where the bolt fits.
Well, anyway after having installed this correct there are more tension on the retraction springs.
On the test drive just after having re-installed this I noticed no difference but, as I mentioned, last night the car didn't pull like before and the marks on the gravelroad are now equal on both sides of the car !
Anyway - thanx for the advice you have given me, guys.
All the best from Sweden.

Stingroo
08-26-09, 10:05 AM
Send us a pic of your car?

Are you pretty out of place up there with it? I'd imagine that'd be pretty cool to drive a huge American land yacht in a foreign country. :)

77CDV
08-26-09, 03:52 PM
It's always the little things. Glad you found the problem.

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-27-09, 03:39 AM
I'll try to post a picture of my beloved landyacht as soon as possible.
These cars are not very common over here though I have read that Sweden is the actually the country outside the U.S. with most old classic american cars !
All through the summer we have lots of big meets where thousands and thousands of enthusiasts travel to.

Fleet
08-28-09, 04:56 AM
I'll try to post a picture of my beloved landyacht as soon as possible.
These cars are not very common over here though I have read that Sweden is the actually the country outside the U.S. with most old classic american cars !
All through the summer we have lots of big meets where thousands and thousands of enthusiasts travel to.
Yes, they certainly not too common where you live!

Would like to see photos of yours... 1968 is one of my favorite year for Cadillacs.

Swedish DeVille Dude
09-01-09, 03:45 AM
Well, I have now tried to add a photo of the old landyacht but I can't seem to get the picture below like 2 MB which is way too much for the site to handle. I'll give it another try and we'll see...

Stingroo
09-01-09, 09:01 AM
Just use imageshack or photobucket to upload it yourself.

www.imageshack.us
www.photobucket.com

You can just post the forum link here, and it'll work. :D