: Another "Is this a good deal" thread

PurtyVille '92
08-16-09, 01:03 AM
I found a white 1992 Brougham D'Elegance with 98,000 miles, gold option, tan canvas top, tan interior, and a continental kit! The pics that the current owner sent of the interior look like it has been kept up, and damn near new. The AC works, he had a tune-up less than 15K miles ago.

He says it has "low-end knock" that goes away after starting up, and it shudders going up hill. It probably will need new tires.

He wants $2800 for it. What do you think? Is it worth it?

Angry Matt
08-16-09, 01:40 AM
Do you know which motor is in it?

sven914
08-16-09, 02:30 AM
Low-end knock is bad; it could be the the piston rods making noise from lack of lubrication. Shuddering when climbing hills means that there is something wrong with the drive train not being able to handle loads. The engine may have bad rings or valves, which causes a lack of compression, so when it tries to take a hill, it over-strains the engine.

If the rest of the car is in perfect condition, then It is worth the price. The engine can be fixed and if it has the 305, replaced with a 350. I would try to work the guy lower; mention the faults with the car and give him some round estimates for the repair costs, he might reduce the price. But keep in mind that cash for clunkers will pay the guy $4500 for the car, just to put it through the crusher.

PurtyVille '92
08-16-09, 04:33 PM
In '92 did they give you an option? I thought they all had the 5.7 Liter?

I hate to pass on that deal, but I think I will. I have a good drive train in my '88 Brougham. It needs some AC work, and some paint and it will serve my needs.

Here is the '92, if anyone is interested:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1278157422.html

Here is mine (heh, everything is for sale, amirite?):

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1325588007.html

Thanks for your expertise, gentlemen.

creeker
08-16-09, 05:47 PM
I found a white 1992 Brougham D'Elegance with 98,000 miles, gold option, tan canvas top, tan interior, and a continental kit! The pics that the current owner sent of the interior look like it has been kept up, and damn near new. The AC works, he had a tune-up less than 15K miles ago.

He says it has "low-end knock" that goes away after starting up, and it shudders going up hill. It probably will need new tires.

That's a fair price,personally the canvas roof and half a**ed continental kit are not a selling point, I think thats the first canvas top I've seen on a 90-92 brougham,hopefully the last.

creeker
08-16-09, 05:52 PM
The 5.0 liter (305 chevy) engine was standard and the 5.7 (350) was optional.

jayoldschool
08-16-09, 08:25 PM

No...

PurtyVille '92
08-16-09, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys!

brougham
08-17-09, 02:06 AM
The ad says its a 5.7L. The canvas top is big setback for it but the other parts can just be taken off. Even if its got engine problems if everything else is in good condition thats an OK price for it. They sell for more then that if they don't have problems.