: Brougham Rear Shock Removal?

CJPC
08-15-09, 09:49 PM
Went to tackle my rear shocks today, got the bottom nut loosened without issue, as the top bolts - until I realized the top is a bolt/nut combo, as in, I need to hold the bolt, while removing the screw (or vice-versa).

However, I can't seem to get up far enough from the wheel well to get the bolt closest to the front, anyone have any hints or tips on how to grab it?

Thanks!
CJ

deVille33
08-16-09, 08:27 AM
Clearances can be tight in this area. Make sure the area around the bolt head, or nut is clean. Dirt has a tendency to collect there. You should be able to get a combination wrench up in there. Sometimes you have to use the wrench with the angle down and a finger on the wrench to hold it in place. Sometimes I've used an old ignition wrench, which angles away from the spring seat. If all else fails, you can go to the local Big Lots or EL Cheapo store and buy a couple wrenches. You can bend to fit your application. I have a whole mess of such wrenches and weird tools, which ensure that this never comes my way agiain.

CJPC
08-16-09, 02:53 PM
Yeah thanks, I have been using a nice wrench, however I am going to buy an offset wrench today in hopes that I can get the other nut, as the wrench needs some bending, and for $5 or so, its not too bad to pick up. Unfortunately I won't be able to get at it for a few days, just too hot outside, but I will let you know!

Thanks
CJ

jayoldschool
08-16-09, 08:29 PM
After you get the bottom shock bolt off, slowly lower the rear end on a jack, and take out the springs. Lots more room to work. Long, skinny arms are very good to have when doing the top bolts. To make re-install easier, mount the bolts upside down when you put the new shocks back in...

deVille33
08-17-09, 09:19 PM
I'll have to find some long skinny arms for this job, the next time.

CJPC
08-17-09, 10:46 PM
Yeah- long skinny arms I definitely do not have. As for removing the springs, I'm hopeful that an odd angled wrench will work, since I'm not a big fan of pulling the springs.

Angry Matt
08-17-09, 10:52 PM
If the frame is on jack stands, let the rear hang with the bottom of the shocks disconnected. Jack one side of the rear from the rear or from under a tire so it goes crooked (just the rear, not the car) and the spring will come loose. You can just pull them right out. Very easy.

CJPC
08-17-09, 11:07 PM
If the frame is on jack stands, let the rear hang with the bottom of the shocks disconnected. Jack one side of the rear from the rear or from under a tire so it goes crooked (just the rear, not the car) and the spring will come loose. You can just pull them right out. Very easy.

Really? That seems insanely easy, compared to what is in the FSM. So just to get it straight - stick it on jackstands, pull the tires, remove the lower shocks, then jack one side of the axle up, and the opposite(s) spring will come right off?

If so- one simple question, should I be supporting the axle in the interim (as in, once I disconnect the lower shock mounts)

Thanks!
CJ

jayoldschool
08-17-09, 11:15 PM
That's what I was trying to say... the springs will just fall out. Yes, you keep the rear supported by the floor jack.

CJPC
08-17-09, 11:19 PM
That's what I was trying to say... the springs will just fall out. Yes, you keep the rear supported by the floor jack.

Excellent - I did not know you meant that they would just fall out, can't beat that for ease. Hopefully I will be able to get it done later this week (when it cools down), and will try to have some pictures too!

Thanks Again,
CJ

Angry Matt
08-17-09, 11:26 PM
No need to take the wheels off. Put the rear of the car up on jack stands, pull the bottom of the shocks off the studs, and jack one side of the rear up. I jack it from under the tire, my jack seats better there and there's less jacking involved. It's always worked for me. The next time you have the car up to work on it, try it. If it works, it works. When the rear starts getting crooked you'll see the other spring losing tension until it comes completely loose, then you can reach up and pull them out. When I went to lower the rear of my car, I bet I had the springs out in less then 5 minutes. Actually it may be better to leave the tires on, the weight of the wheels will help pull downwards on the rear.

should I be supporting the axle in the interim

No, let it hang. The trailing arms will keep it up.

CJPC
08-18-09, 12:14 AM
Great - I will probably pull the wheels any who, only as its a bit easier to remove the shocks from the wheel well than sliding under the car, plus I am quite paranoid, so a bit safer for me!

caddy's home
04-18-10, 11:38 AM
hey CJPC
i need to replace my rear air shocks. i am reading your post as a guide. did you take pic of your work? how easy was it? if possible could you send me a message or repost the job so i can be clear on what todo. i will read and re-read the post in the meantime to make sure i am doing it right. when comes to removing the springs i am concern about the jacking method. i have stands and ramps along with the jack it self. how can i be sure i purchase the right shocks for my caddy? it is a 1989 brougham.

thanks