: Dumb question time: Trunk opens only with the fob

Gary Wells
08-15-09, 09:25 PM
My trunk opens only with the fob. I am unable to locate a switch or toggle on the driver door panel, and when I walk up to the trunk, the toggle over the license plate does not work, either with the car locked or unlocked. Manual says that when I have the fob within 3 feet of the trunk, it should open. Also mentions the valet, and I cannot locate anything in the manual about a valet.

SlvrBullIT
08-15-09, 09:33 PM
Press semi hard in the middle of the rubber pad... took me a few times to master that.

The button is to the above and to the left of the driver door pocket/holder when facing it and the button itself faces forward.

tedcmiller
08-15-09, 09:40 PM
In addition to the Fob, there are two other ways to open the trunk. One is the switch on the outside of the car just under the center of the chrome strip on the trunk lid. This operates only when the Fob is near and can be operated by pressing up with your fingers. The trunk will not open automatically under any conditions. The other is a button on the inside of the car just behind and above the storage compartment in the driver's door. Both are described in the owner's manual. Read it. There is no valet key for the 2009 CTS-V.

Gary Wells
08-15-09, 09:45 PM
Rubber pad doesn't seem to work regardless of how hard that I press, or where I press. But I did manage to find the button just where you said it was. Page 2-19 of the owner's manual said something about the valet having to be in a certain position, like on or off. Any ideas on that one, or should i re-try the rubber pad after about a six-pack?

SlvrBullIT
08-15-09, 09:50 PM
I just press dead center of the rubber pad, I think I tried all 4 of my fingers across the whole pad and was not successful. Then I tried just in the center of the pad, press up and you'll feel the switch move, just position your middle finger in the center of that, press firmly up and the truck should unlock. Never heard of the valet setting?

Gary Wells
08-15-09, 10:19 PM
OK, thanks, guys, for your help. It opens with the button on the inside of the driver's panel, (I'll admit, after finding it), & it opens with the fob, somewhat hesitantly, but to no avail with the button or switch over the license plate. FWIW, I did read the manual, or at least up through that chapter, and on page 2-20 it clearly states:
"With the Keyless Access System, when you have the transmitter, the trunk can be opened by the trunk release button located on the rear of the trunk above the license plate. The vehicle must be in (P) Park and the valet mode turned off".
Don't we have the Keyless Access System?
So I did read the chapter, and the chapter does mention a valet, but I am not questioning your knowledge regarding whether we have a valet or not. I am sure that you are correct.

SlvrBullIT
08-15-09, 11:58 PM
If you don't have it figured out by tomorrow I'll look up the valet feature.... If all else fails.....dealer....

Gary Wells
08-16-09, 12:32 AM
If you don't have it figured out by tomorrow I'll look up the valet feature.... If all else fails.....dealer....
That's OK, SlvrBullIT, I appreciate that, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it needs adjusting or maybe it is in-operative. Other than the mention on page 2-20 there is no other mention of a valet in the owner's manual, which tells me that there probably is not a valet. Thanks again for your help.

SlvrBullIT
08-16-09, 04:07 AM
no problem...... I thought the pad was defective until I pressed.... ahem...firmly then it popped open. Might just be that yours is broken and needs replace. The release mechanism sounds like it works, in the case of the fob and driver side button, then it may just be the trunk mounted switch.

tedcmiller
08-16-09, 08:00 PM
Yes, 2009 CTS-Vs have the keyless access system and no, there is no valet option. The valet issue is the same as the reverse mirror tilt, the owner's manual might mention it, but it does not exist on this car.

Gary Wells
08-16-09, 08:38 PM
Thanks again, everybody. I will get by the dealers and have the salesman show me how he opens 1 of the ones that they probably still have.

Gary Wells
08-20-09, 10:45 PM
Stopped by the dealers on my home today, their rear trunks opened fine, so mine is broken or needs adjustment. I told them that I would not leave the car with them, but that I would take off of work a day and be at the shop waiting for them to open, and I will wait till it is done. they were kool with that, but I have to schedule it with & through the salesman, and he will schedule it with the service manager. I really hate to be that way, but I have read too much on this forum to leave my car anywhere out of my sight for any length of time at all. I'm just as bad with the '87 turbo Buick.

nynd
08-20-09, 11:25 PM
Good call! Stay with it.. keep your eyes on it as close as you can!

inkpump
08-21-09, 11:23 AM
Hi Guys
Newbie here. I've had the V for 2 weeks so I'm still learning and loading MP3s as fast as possible. There are two things I'm not sure about and you mentioned one above. I've been looking for the tilting parking mirror option. Doesn't seem to be there? Is it not fitted to the V?:bonkers:

Also I've had no problem with the trunk as long as I have the Key nearby. However I'm not sure my car is locking automatically when I walk away. Isn't that supposed to happen?

mik2718
08-21-09, 12:54 PM
I've been looking for the tilting parking mirror option. Doesn't seem to be there? Is it not fitted to the V?

The feature was dropped, although it's still in the manual. Check this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/177483-reverse-tilt-side-mirrors.html

tedcmiller
08-21-09, 01:34 PM
My car locks automatically when I walk away. This is normally signaled (unless you changed the programming) by flashing of the turn signals and a short blast from the horn. You can test this by leaving the FOB a significant distance away (say 30 ft.) from the car and then trying to open the doors. They should not open.

kck
08-21-09, 02:08 PM
Hi Guys
Newbie here. I've had the V for 2 weeks so I'm still learning and loading MP3s as fast as possible. There are two things I'm not sure about and you mentioned one above. I've been looking for the tilting parking mirror option. Doesn't seem to be there? Is it not fitted to the V?:bonkers:

Also I've had no problem with the trunk as long as I have the Key nearby. However I'm not sure my car is locking automatically when I walk away. Isn't that supposed to happen?

inkpump:

I received my V with the keyless lock feature turned off. So I turned it on in the DIC. As tedcmiller notes, you will know the feature is enabled because as you move some distance from the car, it will blink its lights and give a short horn blast.

Also, several posters mention that the keyless trunk entry requires a "hard press." Mine is set up so that just a normal press of my whole hand opens the trunk. Given Gary Well's experience of a completely non-working system, it would seem that you might need to have the dealership make an adjustment so the press is easier.

Kyle

lavaman
08-21-09, 02:17 PM
The auto lock, easy exit, exit/approach lighting, locking feedback etc... programming options are available in the DIC. Your owners manual starting at Pg. 3-71 will guide you through the steps.

inkpump
08-21-09, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the tips I'll try those out tomorrow

Mike 09 V
08-21-09, 05:55 PM
I tried it for the first time today and it opened very easily, so I suspect it is an adjustment problem with your switch.

inkpump
08-24-09, 11:27 AM
Great everything working well!
The auto lock feature was turned off but once I figured out the correct use of the buttons on the DIC I switched it on! The car locks once you get a few feet away and it beeps the horn. I did manage to lock my mother in law in the vehicle on Sunday because I walked away before she even opened the door.
It occurred to me this could be the best use of this feature;)