: Tires....again.....

thefred
08-14-09, 04:49 PM
I hate to start a new tire thread, but if I just jump on an old one, I just might not getthe views...:)

Anyway, I can just about see the air in my front GSD3s so I need to make some decisions quick. I was leaning towards the Eagle All Seasons, but it looks llike a few of you didn't fare so well on those either. Has anyone tried the Eagle Asymmetric with the carbon fiber on the outside edge? The Goodyear dealer wants to sell them for about $206 each....

I'm not interested in another summer tire. These GSD3s really sucked when it was cold.

Any thoughts on a good all season?

Thanks!

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-15-09, 01:45 AM
Bridgestone makes a stock set now RE050's I was going to go to them next

adamhw
08-15-09, 07:50 AM
How were the gsd3 in the heat? Too loud? It never gets below 60 here. I'm leaning towards them unless someone else knows a good summer tire.

thefred
08-15-09, 09:37 AM
Bridgestone makes a stock set now RE050's I was going to go to them next
Are they all seasons? I don't want another go around with summer tires in the winter! Do you know who has them and the price?

thefred
08-15-09, 09:39 AM
How were the gsd3 in the heat? Too loud? It never gets below 60 here. I'm leaning towards them unless someone else knows a good summer tire.
I didn't really have any problem with noise. You just don't get good mileage out of them nor are they good in cold weather. For your weather, they should be great. It'll just be a wear issue.

CIWS
08-15-09, 10:07 AM
The GY F1 A/S also had the carbon fiber side walls.

So far I've got about 5000 miles on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires and I do really like them over the GY tire. They are a little more expensive, but they have a longer tread life and they seem to grip the road better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus

dhemrick
08-15-09, 12:47 PM
The GY F1 A/S also had the carbon fiber side walls.

So far I've got about 5000 miles on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires and I do really like them over the GY tire. They are a little more expensive, but they have a longer tread life and they seem to grip the road better.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus

Same here. :yup:

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-15-09, 12:50 PM
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 (Max Performance Summer)

: Front: 255/45ZR18
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 99YLoad Index 99 = 1709lbs (775kg) per tire
Speed Rating "Y" = 186mph (300kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 140
Traction: A
Temperature: A
140 A APrice: $233.00 (each) Special
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Qty:
012345678Optional Road Hazard Program: Add $27.96 per tire

Rear: 275/40R19
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 101YLoad Index 101 = 1819lbs (825kg) per tire
Speed Rating "Y" = 186mph (300kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 140
Traction: A
Temperature: A
140 A APrice: $323.00 (each) Special
Estimated Availability: Fewer than 9

thefred
08-15-09, 02:13 PM
Dan, I don't want to try another summer tire because they were a mess in the winter.

Based on the rest of your suggestions, I'm going with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus. I still have some miles left on my GSD3s on the rear so I'm just changing out the fronts for now. I'm getting them for about $500 out the door for the fronts....is that about right?

CIWS
08-15-09, 09:28 PM
Where are you getting them from Fred ?

thefred
08-15-09, 09:41 PM
Where are you getting them from Fred ?

Kauffman Tire. Is that a good price?

CIWS
08-15-09, 10:03 PM
Not too bad if that's mounted and balanced out the door :)

thefred
08-15-09, 10:31 PM
Not too bad if that's mounted and balanced out the door :)
That's what they said....tires will be in on Monday. We'll see......

CIWS
08-16-09, 09:24 AM
Well they're 213.00 ea at Tirerack which would also need shipping, let's say 30.00. Then to mount and balance at 20-25.00 a tire. So that would be in the range of 495 - 505.00 The only thing not in that amount is Road Hazard unless they are including that in their price. :)

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-16-09, 10:48 PM
Tire Rack adds Tax here in GA since they have a distributorship in Savannah... SUCKS

inurok
08-17-09, 03:19 AM
Tire Rack adds Tax here in GA since they have a distributorship in Savannah... SUCKS

Ship them to me in Delaware "Home of tax free shopping":halo:

Berger 93
08-17-09, 05:33 PM
I definitely am no longer happy with my GY Eagle F1 A/S . . . . WAY too noisy for a luxury performance sedan . . . .

CIWS
08-17-09, 05:38 PM
I definitely am no longer happy with my GY Eagle F1 A/S . . . . WAY too noisy for a luxury performance sedan . . . .

How many miles do you have on them ?

Berger 93
08-18-09, 09:58 AM
How many miles do you have on them ?

A mere 5,000 miles and getting noisier . . . .

dhemrick
08-18-09, 10:13 AM
A mere 5,000 miles and getting noisier . . . .

It only gets worse. Those Goodyears suck. I regret the day I bought TWO sets. I got rid of those tires as fast as I could.

thefred
08-20-09, 08:01 PM
Ok. So it took until today for the tires to come in. I guess we just don't have a car that you can just go get tires for....they always need to be ordered. I got the Michelin Pliot Sport AS Plus. $500 for the fronts out the door including road hazard. Only have 5 miles on them so far. But better than the thin remnants of the GSD3s I had on there. It turns out I got about 17,000 out of the fronts on the GSD3s and the rears are still OK. That's like a lifetime on those tires...but the truth of the matter is that they needed to be replaced about 4,000 miles ago....If all goes well with these, I'll probably change out the rears before it gets too cold, so I won't have another winter on ice skates.....

MacMuse
08-21-09, 10:24 AM
theFred,

Please forgive me if this question reveals how much of a neophyte I am in the world of performance cars...

First of all I presume you have staggered sizes, so normal tire rotation is out. If that's true, then how do fronts wear out long before rears on a RWD monster? Just lots of "fun" cornering?

thefred
08-21-09, 11:34 AM
theFred,

Please forgive me if this question reveals how much of a neophyte I am in the world of performance cars...

First of all I presume you have staggered sizes, so normal tire rotation is out. If that's true, then how do fronts wear out long before rears on a RWD monster? Just lots of "fun" cornering?

Maybe I don't know how to drive?? I have always had my fronts wear out first on all my cars. It is more likely that I'll round a corner faster than stomping at a traffic light these days anyhow...

Berger 93
08-21-09, 12:15 PM
Maybe I don't know how to drive?? I have always had my fronts wear out first on all my cars. It is more likely that I'll round a corner faster than stomping at a traffic light these days anyhow...

Interesting . . . the rears on mine were FRIED!!! . . . I'd guess I had 50% tread left up front . . . but I cannot stand missmatched tires on a car . . . o I replaced all four. :)

thefred
08-21-09, 08:37 PM
Interesting . . . the rears on mine were FRIED!!! . . . I'd guess I had 50% tread left up front . . . but I cannot stand missmatched tires on a car . . . o I replaced all four. :)
Yeah, that bothers me too. But, I figured I'd keep the hot summer tires while it was hot. I'll swap them out in the late fall so I'll have a match.