: Engine Light-Timing Chain

rchern
08-14-09, 12:08 AM
My engine light came on today so I took it to the dealership and they put their tester on it and the code that came up showed that there is a problem with the timing belt. They ordered a new timing belt and told me that they would call me when it came in and that I could continue to drive the car. Has anyone had a problem similar to this? Has anyone had their timing belt changed? Has anyone had a timing belt break? I'm just a little concerned about driving the car. I think that if a timing belt goes while driving it can be quite a mess. Thanks to anyone who can give me any input to this situation.

carter's_sts
08-14-09, 12:41 AM
Belt or chain? Don't all engine types on the STS have chains?

inurok
08-14-09, 03:02 AM
When I was at the dealer having my engine replaced there was a guy in for service having his timing chain replaced because it streched?

BaTu
08-14-09, 09:47 AM
I can't imagine the service dept. would tell anyone with a bad timing belt/chain it's OK to drive though....

If it fails while they're waiting for a new one, wouldn't it a much bigger disaster? Aren't these engines Zero Clearance?

Do you know what the code was? Could it have been a Cam Position Sensor that was bad???

WillySTS
08-14-09, 10:38 AM
I can't imagine the service dept. would tell anyone with a bad timing belt/chain it's OK to drive though....

If it fails while they're waiting for a new one, wouldn't it a much bigger disaster? Aren't these engines Zero Clearance?

Do you know what the code was? Could it have been a Cam Position Sensor that was bad???

That is what it is, the sensor or the chain may be stretched.

It is generally ok to drive it as long as it is full of oil. The chain breaks as a result of low oil which causes the chain flap wildly due to low pressure in the tensioner or one of the cam starts to sieze in the head, as the camshaft is at the top of the engine and the last major components to get oil.

wwnf
08-14-09, 03:23 PM
I just had this issue on my 07 back in June. They replaced the timing chains but when checking tolerances they found too much play. New head/cam along with the chains. 12 days in the shop. They installed a different chain than the one that has been having stretching problems. The engine is louder with this chain but I'll take that over a stretching chain. Why GM would change something the last model year like that is beyond me.

KARL DAHLEN
08-14-09, 04:13 PM
different suppliers