: A kitten caused my Serpentine Belt to come off

pie4himm
08-14-09, 12:38 AM
this happened a couple months ago and had to put the kitten out of it's misery but it threw my belt off on the road but I was near a service station and owner loaned me some tools and got the belt back on, but now today I am encountering a rough bearing growl and the kitten might have caused misalignment or excessive wear in the time it was lodged in the pulley...? believe it is the A/C compressor clutch, tensioner pulley bearing or possibly idler pulley bearing, my question is how do you get at these components? there is absolutely no room to work since clearance is minimal with this side-mounted engine...do you have to disconnect the motor mounts & jack the engine up to get access? since the frame of the car is 1-1/2 inches away ..if I find it is the A/C clutch(after I take belt off and spin all the pulleys & check for "roughness" I want to install a "bypass belt" since the A/C quit working a month or so before the kitten threw the belt off and don't want to spend big money repairing the A/C anyhow

Ranger
08-14-09, 12:44 AM
OK, I'll bite. How did a kitten get in the belt?

TorquedWench
08-14-09, 12:56 AM
Those darn cats are always up to mischief

http://cheezburger.com/View.aspx?ciid=4903294

pie4himm
08-14-09, 01:36 AM
cats love getting under the hood and use that area as a cubby hole :annoyed:

Sevillian273
08-15-09, 10:43 PM
FUR IS MURDER!!!!! :bighead:

ewill3rd
08-15-09, 10:46 PM
Rats will have the same effect.

The cat should not have damaged anything else, are you sure the belt is properly aligned on all the pulleys?
If it is making noise the compressor clutch or bearing might be going bad, that is not uncommon.
Not necessarily a DIY job for most.
Yes it is tight in there.

Back in the days of the straight fan my neighbor's thunderbird took out a lot of kittens.
It is warm in there on a cool day. It was awful... poor little kitties :(

pie4himm
08-17-09, 01:26 AM
you bet it is tight in there and how do you get an air impact in there to remove fasteners?..I have never seen anything like it...I have replaced a fan motor myself on this same car and I bought a used one since the aftermarket fan motor was larger and would have required literally moving the engine forward to get it installed

ewill3rd
08-17-09, 07:55 AM
Sadly, there are worse cars....

As for how to get in there, it depends on what you are doing.
For the belt I have a special low clearance belt tensioner tool, you can buy them in parts stores.
For the accessories like the alternator or a/c compressor you just have to figure out how to get to the bolts however you can.
Sometimes it ain't easy.

V-Eight
08-20-09, 02:25 AM
Rats will have the same effect.
(

They sure ****ed my aunt's deVille over. She traded it in and got a Lucerne