: Check Coolant Level

Ranger
08-14-09, 12:21 AM
I have done coolant changes at least 3 times on Northstars so it is nothing new to me. I did mine last week. Revved the engine 3 or 4 times to purge the air. Warmed it up and took it out and did 2 WOT runs. Topped it off and figured I was good. Drive to work :40 min., mostly highway and when I go to leave I get the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message. Get home and sure enough it's a little low. Top it off in the morning. Two days later, the same thing. Checked it again this morning and it was a little low again. :Hmm: No leaks. Only thing I can figure is that I really got some coolant out of it when I reversed the flow of my shop vac and blew it out. I am just amazed that all this highway driving has not purged all the air yet. Where the hell is it hiding? I guess it will stabilize one of these days.

JimD
08-14-09, 08:40 PM
The coolant level in the reservoir will certainly stabilize after several thermal cycles. But I would double check whichever hose clamps (if any) you touched during the draining process.

If you opened the drain plug at the bottom LH corner of the radiator, that might be the source of a small leak that would not be visible from under the hood.

Ranger
08-14-09, 10:35 PM
It's certainly been more than a "few" cycles Jim. I did not touch a hose clamp. I used the drain plug and have checked it more than once. Bone dry. I am going in to work tomorrow so I'll see what another cycle does for it. I'm sure it will stabilize. I just have never seen it take so many cycles before.

Destroyer
08-21-09, 12:23 AM
Could it be a H/G issue?:p

kckranz
08-21-09, 08:45 AM
Ranger - Same thing happened to me when I replaced my coolant this past spring - took several days of commutes and top-offs to stabilize. In the end it seemed, well I know I put more coolant in than I drained but the level has been consistent since.

00 Deville
08-21-09, 10:19 AM
Only thing I can figure is that I really got some coolant out of it when I reversed the flow of my shop vac and blew it out.

I have done the shop vac trick on mine also to blow a little more coolant out. I have found that after changing the fluid pumping up the system to 18 psi with a hand pump leak checker will cut down on the top offs required after a fluid change.

Ranger
08-21-09, 12:44 PM
What took you so long Destroyer? We expected that comment days ago. If nothing else, you are predictable.

It has finally stabilized, as I expected it would. I have just never had one take so long.

creeker
08-23-09, 11:42 PM
I have done coolant changes at least 3 times on Northstars so it is nothing new to me. I did mine last week. Revved the engine 3 or 4 times to purge the air. Warmed it up and took it out and did 2 WOT runs. Topped it off and figured I was good. Drive to work :40 min., mostly highway and when I go to leave I get the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message. Get home and sure enough it's a little low. Top it off in the morning. Two days later, the same thing. Checked it again this morning and it was a little low again. :Hmm: No leaks. Only thing I can figure is that I really got some coolant out of it when I reversed the flow of my shop vac and blew it out. I am just amazed that all this highway driving has not purged all the air yet. Where the hell is it hiding? I guess it will stabilize one of these days.

Howdy,where did you place the vacuum nozzle when you "blew" it out?,
how much more do you think you get out of it with the vacuum?.

Ranger
08-24-09, 12:24 AM
Put the nozzle in the surge tank filler neck. Hard to say how much more I got out of it, but I don't think it was a significant amount.

By the way, the level has finally stabilized.

creeker
08-24-09, 12:18 PM
Put the nozzle in the surge tank filler neck. Hard to say how much more I got out of it, but I don't think it was a significant amount.

Thank you.

JimD
08-26-09, 07:19 PM

How many thermal cycles do you estimate it took to for the system to settle down; ten? Thirty?

Ranger
08-26-09, 11:23 PM
I wish I had counted Jim, but I'd make a guess at 5 maybe. I had to top it off 3 times. I just did my daughters '02 SLS and it seems to have stabilized after a few RPM revs. I don't get it.

BIGHOMIE
09-07-09, 11:45 PM
Any updates Ranger?

Ranger
09-08-09, 09:50 PM
It's stabilized now. Took about 3 top offs.