: Noisy sunroof trim ring...

commander112
08-13-09, 11:33 PM
I know I read that others have had this issue but I cannot find the thread, anyway, my sunroof is making noise but not from the roof but from the hard plastic trim ring. Anyone know the fix? Thanks in advance.

Mark

aburd
08-13-09, 11:39 PM
realign sunroof?

commander112
08-13-09, 11:51 PM
realign sunroof?

Not what I am referring to. The noise is coming from the hard plastic trim ring that goes around the headliner so it looks good as it opens up to the sunroof.

RogersV
08-14-09, 12:44 AM
Not what I am referring to. The noise is coming from the hard plastic trim ring that goes around the headliner so it looks good as it opens up to the sunroof.

I have the same problem. The front of the ring seems like it's not clipped to the frame, causing it to rattle. I don't want to break it so I'll probably take it in. :crying:

commander112
08-14-09, 07:37 AM
Must have something to do with the Crystal Red paint?

clubho
08-14-09, 04:34 PM
Must have something to do with the Crystal Red paint?

What is with comments like these? How does this help anyone? All you do is fill up pages of comments with junk so people looking for help have to wade through a ton of waste.

no on to the help. you are probably having the same issue i did. the ring was warped and they needed to replace. But that alone did not fix it. There where two strut braces in the headlines that were not tight either. Aparantly there was a tsb from the 08 regualr cts that applied to my 09 ctsv. so they did that fix too. it still rattled then the took the ring off again and think they did some doubble sided tape in a few places and now no rattles. i woudl sugget you read my post on problems with the sunroof first. because they finally got all the rattles fixed then need to replace my sunroof and sunshade motors and yep they did not put the pieces back right so the rattle is back. at least i know it can be fixed.

so get the sunroof and sunshade fixed if you are having the one touch open and close problems then get the rattles fixed.

good luck.

NeedCTS-v
08-14-09, 04:59 PM
Had the same problem with mine. Dealer fixed it with 3m insulator tape.

Maybe not elegant but it worked.

commander112
08-14-09, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! clubho, I'm sorry I wasted bandwith with my attempt at levity.

Caroutisine
08-14-09, 09:13 PM
Does anyone have a link to the TSB? I have learned not to give the TSB to the dealer, but sometimes it helps to know what it says to see if it applies to your situation, and describe the problem to the dealer better.

Gary Wells
08-14-09, 09:21 PM
Why would it not be a good idea to give the TSB to the dealer? I could see where it would not be a good idea to play the first trump with it, but other than that???

Caroutisine
08-14-09, 09:28 PM
I don't know...my dealer didn't seem to appreciate it. Kind of like I was pointing out a known flaw in the product or telling them what exactly to fix and how to fix it?

Gary Wells
08-16-09, 01:10 AM
I have looked at so many of the Ultraviews that are sticking up on the rear panel on the driver side that I question the integrity with which they were inspected when GM brought them in house. If you look closely at the driver side rear panel of the Ultraview, it is clearly obvious that the rear panel itself does not have the same contour as the roof line. I don't remember ever seeing one that did not stick up past the basic roofline. Sorry to Bogart the thread.

RogersV
08-16-09, 11:40 AM
As someone else asked, is there a TSB concerning the Sunroof interior trim ring and if so, does anyone know the number or have a copy of it? TIA.

Caroutisine
08-18-09, 09:44 PM
The noise I have is either coming from the back of the sunroof, or almost sounds like the back window? It's a creaking and popping noise that shows up after the car has been sitting, and the outside temp is hot. Sounds like glass shifting around? It's not coming from up front of the roof at all, and is not that bad but has become almost predictable. I'll just tell them what I have observed when I bring it in for the first oil change in the next month or so. But will keep watching to see if anyone has the TSB to post in the meantime.

Gary Wells
08-18-09, 10:21 PM
This may not be a good idea, and only seem to be a good idea to me because I am a newbie, and don't know the internal workings of this forum, but it would seem worthwhile to me to have a thread dedicated strictly to TSB's, not questions or comments, but only the actual TSB, it's #, date, & subject, & subject matter and then bring it up anytime that we need it. We do spend a lot of time chasing TSB's. that's for sure. Suppose I should get my flame suit on, huh? I'm not saying that you should stick it in the dealer's nose, but it would be handy to at least have a TSB reference # & date when you go to the dealers, then when they pull that Duh act you just ask them to look up TSB ###. Sorry to derail this thread, too.

commander112
08-18-09, 10:33 PM
This may not be a good idea, and only seem to be a good idea to me because I am a newbie, and don't know the internal workings of this forum, but it would seem worthwhile to me to have a thread dedicated strictly to TSB's, not questions or comments, but only the actual TSB, it's #, date, & subject, & subject matter and then bring it up anytime that we need it. We do spend a lot of time chasing TSB's. that's for sure. Suppose I should get my flame suit on, huh? I'm not saying that you should stick it in the dealer's nose, but it would be handy to at least have a TSB reference # & date when you go to the dealers, then when they pull that Duh act you just ask them to look up TSB ###. Sorry to derail this thread, too.

You are a newbie Gary. There was a time a few years ago when TSB were out there for all to read. This caused people to take their cars in and state that I have this going on or that going on to get nice new parts for their perfectly good parts by stating that they were subject to a certain TSB. GM clamped down on this and have removed the TSB's from the public stating that they are copywritten materials not for public distribution. I'm sure it has greatly reduced bogus repairs.

Gary Wells
08-18-09, 10:43 PM
See them on CorvetteForum all of the time, or used to if it has been discontinued very recently. And the members just post them up when somebody asks. I don't want this taken in the wrong context, but I care more for my car than I do GM. Naturally GM & the dealers don't like being told what to do & how to do it.

commander112
08-18-09, 11:03 PM
See them on CorvetteForum all of the time, or used to if it has been discontinued very recently. And the members just post them up when somebody asks. I don't want this taken in the wrong context, but I care more for my car than I do GM. Naturally GM & the dealers don't like being told what to do & how to do it.

You are correct Gary. I just looked them up on one of the Corvette forums. I did not look back far enough to see if the actual TSB was there or just a paraphrased summary. Actual TSB's are copywritten though and as such posting them can be an issue.

Gary Wells
08-19-09, 05:55 AM
Even if a person only has a reference # and a release date to "help" the dealer locate the TSB avoids that "We don't know of anything like that" routine.

wahala
08-19-09, 08:16 AM
Basic information on TSB's can be located on the US government site for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

Hope this helps everyone