: new 2006 sts4

sts4ga
08-13-09, 10:55 PM
Hi all.

I've been lurking here a while. I wanted a CTSV but I had to compromise with the wife who did not want another stick. I wanted V8 and Nav so I began looking at STSs.

Anyway, after looking for a few months I came home with an '06 STS-4 today which is the color I wanted and has every option I wanted except for the HUD.

I had researched the STS V8 quite a bit but didn't do any reading about the AWD version because it wasn't really something I was interested in.

In fact, I didn't realise that I had an AWD until I got home and read up on the STS-4 :cookoo: I was thinking that the -4 was just a trim package that had something to do with the 18" wheels....

So, I live in Ga. and have no need for AWD but now I have it.

So what are the pros/cons of AWD other than the mileage?

Thanks.

K STS
08-14-09, 09:43 AM
1 second slower 0-60 than rear wheel drive...

roadog1aj
08-14-09, 09:58 AM
Congrats on the purchase TS4GA!
I too just purchased an STS4 w/V8 about 2 months ago. I have had 2 STS's previously (93 & 97). Just loved them, so I stuck with the line. I must say that my wife and I were apprehensive about buying a car with SO MUCH electronics. But so far we really like the car. We both REALLY like the performance! This thing flat gets it on when we need to make a pass on a 2 lane road. I know there is a lot of discussion regarding fuel type (Regular, Midgrade, Premium), but I have used midgrade, and premium with no noticeable difference in performance or mileage. (My previous STS's showed about a 2 mpg difference when using premium). Right now we are getting 20.4mpg avg, and we do not baby this car. One of the first things I did was install premium brake pads and rotors all the way around. Big improvement in braking! We live in the upper northeast corner of Ohio, so the AWD is going to be very useful. I have heard nothing but good about the AWD as long as you turn off the traction control in the snow. Of course you may never need it, so it's a moot point for you.
Like you, I have everything except the HUD. The nav system is definitely not very user friendly. I have had good luck when using the voice commands to control the nav and other functions. Too many commands to memorize, so I made small cheat sheets, laminated them, and made a little flip type note book that we keep in the driver side door pocket. The wife thinks its silly to talk to your car, but I really like the function. I would recommend that you change the batteries in your FOBs, as they probably haven't been replaced ever. We both love the personal driver settings. It's nice to have the seat and steering wheel move way back and out of the way for getting out of the car, then moving back in when you start the car. The back-up sensor has already come in handy. I was dismayed when I first popped the hood to have a look at the engine. THERE ISN"T ONE!!! You can't see a darned thing except a huge piece of molded plastic! Bummer! I'm a huge detail freak, and love to see my engines. I like detailing them with different paint schemes, then showing it to anyone that will look. All I can do with this one is maybe paint something on the engine cover, or remove the cover and try to spice up the engine, but I think the cover may serve some purpose, so I'll leave it alone for now.
I guess that's it, hope you enjoy your new ride!

EChas3
08-14-09, 10:53 AM
Congradulations on your purchase.

AWD Trade-off's (YMMV):

Mileage suffers above 2,000 RPM (5 MPG @ 75MPH)
K pointed out 0-60 times due to weight, mechanical drag & rotating momentum.
Sport Suspension and Magnaride (FE3) can make the ride too stiff for some drivers.

Enjoy!

DBeaSST
08-14-09, 10:58 AM
Congratulations on your new STS!

sts4ga
08-14-09, 12:21 PM
I got the car for my wife and she LOVES it so far. It is the nicest car we've ever owned...

The nav does seem like a pita. I guess you can't set/change the destination while in motion? I need to read the manual...

We had to travel a long way to get the color I wanted (black) plus the 18" rims.

Do the AWDs come with the 18" rims or do I have the performance package? I'm pretty geeky when it comes to knowing what options I have. I didn't notice any "sport" button or anything. Just the traction control button on the console.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over the 0-60 times. The added safety in the rain should make up for it.

EChas3
08-14-09, 02:09 PM
I think you have the performance package. The Spare Tire cover has a bunch of 'RPO Codes' that specify all the options. If you see FE3, the Config Vehicle screen or a submenu should have a selection between Touring and Performance. The new Nav Firmware puts this on the first screen and the old firmware makes you scroll down in a submenu to find it.

If you're under warranty and have the old firmware, go in and get it upgraded. The upgrade improves Bluetooth connectivity, Voice Response, saving driver preferences and the above. Pick just one area and complain about it to the service writer. (Details in a 'Sticky' thread, at the top of the thread list.)

IMHO, if I were out of warranty, I'd pay for the upgrade. It should only take about an hour and it's worth $100 to me. There are threads that beat this topic to death including how to check your firmware levels. Search is your friend... learn to make it work for you.

MacMuse
08-14-09, 02:13 PM
The 'sport' reference usually refers to moving the shifter to the right from the normal Drive position. This sets Sport mode (sD on the display) and subtly alters the shift points. From that point you can also do manual shifting (within limits - it won't let you force it it into too high or low of an RPM state).

roadog1aj
08-14-09, 08:25 PM
ECHAS3 is right. You should be able to change the default driving mode to either performance or touring in the nav settings. If you have touring as your default, you can simply move the shifter to the left, and it will go into performance mode, as well as manual shifting up and down. Not to worry about the manual shifting points....if you don't shift in a reasonable rpm range, it will still shift for you.

sts4ga
08-14-09, 08:37 PM
ECHAS3 is right. You should be able to change the default driving mode to either performance or touring in the nav settings. If you have touring as your default, you can simply move the shifter to the left, and it will go into performance mode, as well as manual shifting up and down. Not to worry about the manual shifting points....if you don't shift in a reasonable rpm range, it will still shift for you.

Thanks guys. So you just move the shifter into the right gate and it's in performance? So you can just put it in D and the right gate and it'll shift better?

I'm actually out of town on a work trip and I didn't take the Caddy:(

I really haven't fooled with it much other than driving it home (about 200 miles) from the dealer...

roadog1aj
08-14-09, 08:44 PM
Yep. It's a blast to play with too! The wife was not impressed in the least with my racey urges, so I wait till I'm on my own, and play with voice commands and manual shifting. Sometimes you gotta get your thrills when you can :)
Oh, and the sound system cranks quite well. I was thrilled to be able to burn a ton of mp3's on separate discs for my wife and I, and get our use out of the 6 disc changer.

OlManRivah
08-14-09, 08:46 PM
Put that bad boy in Manual for down hill driving or when you need the Rice Burner mode. Also good for city driving so it doesn't keep shifting.