: Tune?

06stsv
08-13-09, 09:39 PM
Has anyone had their car tuned and dynoed? Just did cold and supercharger intake and exhaust. Would love to tune it, but was wondering if done before, and you experiences.

Nick

leija_01
08-13-09, 10:53 PM
go for it! show us your numbers!

06stsv
08-14-09, 07:47 AM
I have a couple places in mind near my house, but just makes me nervous that these shops have never tuned this vehicle before. Oh well. No would this void the warrany if i tuned it? would i just have to save the tune and bring it back to factory before bringing it back to the dealer?

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-14-09, 08:25 AM
what area you in? make sure they have thecapability to and ability to adjust VVT, trans adjustments, If goingto a local tuner you might want to get a bung hole welded in first. AF ratios are sritical on a blown engine.

06stsv
08-14-09, 09:22 AM
I live in Mass! Is it just easier to get a ECU box from D3? Hmm, u know of any shows, willing to travel? Do u think it would be worth it?

Dr. Design
08-14-09, 12:55 PM
Hello,
If you are going to have the vehicle tuned locally you obviously want to make sure they know what they are doing. Not too many people are familiar with tuning the 4.4 Northstars. If you are looking for maximum tune, trans tuning, VVT, and such the reflash is the best way to go. If you are looking to get just a bit more out of your combination then the D3 box is the way to go. Both have their pros and cons. The D3 box is dealership friendly, as for the ECU reflash.... thatís kind of a grey area as they can detect it if they look for it despite what people might tell you. Call it a calculated risk.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I live in Mass! Is it just easier to get a ECU box from D3? Hmm, u know of any shows, willing to travel? Do u think it would be worth it?

adamhw
08-15-09, 08:55 AM
I never dynod, but I'd say I picked up about 40 crank hp. The trans made the car a totally different animal.

06stsv
08-15-09, 09:47 AM
You run into any issues with the tune? I just a little nervous with our vehicles being so complex and expensive to fix! The guy that i am bringing my car to for the tune said they elimiate the torque management and having a tune makes a world of difference. I have the D3 intakes both 1 & 2 and exhaust. I think it might not be running the best because it needs a tune? Any ideas as to how much hp to the crank, and RWHP?

CIWS
08-15-09, 11:13 AM
If you tune the car and eliminate the TQ management I will guarantee you'll feel the difference. But you will also be shortening the life of certain components so make sure you have a way to get your car back to the stock tune before it goes to the dealership to get fixed, including if something breaks while you're out away from home. A good tune even without TQ management being messed with should get you 15 - 20 rwhp increases. If a dealership knows or finds out you have the ECM tuned they can deny all future powertrain warranty on the vehicle and no matter where it goes to be fixed that will follow it. So again if you tune make sure you have a way to get it back to stock before they see it.