: Hennessey Performance's response to 09 CTS-V lowering kit

wfo
08-13-09, 05:09 PM
Hi ya'll.

Some of you familiar with my posts know I've been inquiring about finding a legitmate, quality lowering kit specifically developed for the 09 CTS-V. Not some springs that a company peddles to lower a car with absolutley no research and development behind it.

John Hennessey from Hennessey Perfomance, Houston Texas, is one of the top Musclecar Tuners out there actually doing anything worthy of note with high performance rides. They've also done some "go fast" things with the 09 V which can be seen in a small vid clip if you were google his/their website.

Anyway, he had this to say in a recent (8/13/09) email to me.

Gary (WFO),

"Right now I do not know of any good lowering kit for the CTS-V. We have tried a couple of them and they made the ride much worse. I suggest you stick with stock for now. Sorry I cant help you with this just yet.

I will let you know when we find something that lowers the car and improves handling while not hurting ride quality.

Email me or call me on my cell phone if I can be of any further help."

Sincerely,

John Hennessey
john@hennesseyperformance.com
OFFICE: 979.885.1300
MOBILE: 713.828.7676

So...While this may not be the news I was hoping for, it should let those who are putting Eibach springs or whatever lowering kits currently being peddled; that they be aware of performance/mechanical shortcomings and limitations in doing so and may compromise the ride quality. Merely lowering the car for aesthic reasons is not what I'm after. Yes, I want my car to look better, but not without enhancing it as well.

It won't be long before someone reputable develops this kit the right way.

chopmeat
08-13-09, 05:23 PM
Good post!
I cut my stock one's just a bit.
I just can't deal with that stock height, Lord it bothers me!!!!!

wfo
08-13-09, 05:28 PM
I hear you Chopmeat...I'm patiently waiting this out. I believe it will happen. These are very sweet cars and someone talented will/is going to develop a kit with appropriate R/D methodolgy to get the car(s) setup correctly, which make the handle even better while looking purdy.

haterinc
08-13-09, 05:38 PM
WFO are you on any pro circuit we all should know about or a top dragster? lol

you sure seem pretty concerned with all of these guys that have used eibach to lower their cars. it seems to be working and although i too am waiting on springs made for the cars (d3) i'm pretty sure you're not losing TOO much ride quality in daily driving per those guys with the springs. eibach or anyone else out there to my knowledge haven't advertised anything for the V. some guys just can't take the fender gap and have spent the measly $300 on the eibachs till something better comes along lol.

this whole subject of not using the proper springs really seems to chap your ass huh? ;)

Gary Wells
08-13-09, 05:59 PM
WFO:
Thanks for passing that along. That is going to stop quite a few people from making any drastic moves. And I would not hold my breath on a good quality kit coming out from a reputable manufacturer anytime in the near future. This economy and market is considerably tougher than most people think that it is. I hear of more and more manufacturers and aftermarket companies, especially those re-selling rather than directly making their own product going to not stocking and not informing prospective buyers of this. I am sure that this is a predominant condition and / or trend in almost all markets. I do not want to derail or turn this thread into a wailing wall, but be extremely cautious of what's in your billfold, what's in your bank account, what's on order, and God forbid, maxing out your credit limitations when you can't afford to. Sorry, I just thought it good advice.

Short-Throw
08-13-09, 07:56 PM
Gary (WFO),

"Right now I do not know of any good lowering kit for the CTS-V.

Kudos for you performing due diligence and kudos to Hennessey for not compromising.

You may recall, I mentioned suspension geometry in another thread would be a concern of such a mod.

Thanks for posting.

Mike

wfo
08-14-09, 09:03 PM
And thank you, Mike. Yes I do remember your post. Also a good one.

And thanks Gary Wells. I do hope someone will see a small, but profitable opportunity to machining something for these great cars. There certainly is a growing demand. IT MIGHT BE A SUSPENSION UPGRADE RATHER THAN MERE LOWERING SPRINGS.Much like I did with my 08 Z06 Vette.

wfo
08-14-09, 09:21 PM
WFO are you on any pro circuit we all should know about or a top dragster? lol

you sure seem pretty concerned with all of these guys that have used eibach to lower their cars. it seems to be working and although i too am waiting on springs made for the cars (d3) i'm pretty sure you're not losing TOO much ride quality in daily driving per those guys with the springs. eibach or anyone else out there to my knowledge haven't advertised anything for the V. some guys just can't take the fender gap and have spent the measly $300 on the eibachs till something better comes along lol.

this whole subject of not using the proper springs really seems to chap your ass huh? ;)

No worries HATERINC. Just passing along good information. You can always turn the channel and make a Thread all your own.

As For me, taking an 09 CTS-V at $60k or more for most people, if they bought earlier in the year, (and for most people, that's a good chunk of college fund change) and spending $300 to make it look better only to reduce this engineering marvel into a crappy ride is really the concerns of those who chose to do the mod. They probably did so because they didn't have all the facts.

If John Hennessy indictates the current industry offerings regarding lowering kits are just not good..guess I might take that as pretty good advice.

As for me, I use the Forum as it was intended to be used. To communicate an issue(s) that might save someone a headach down the road. Or, had a certain expectation only to be disappointed.

IMHO...It's a dumb thing to put something like a suspension mod on a sophisticated/highly engineered, Nurbering track record holder, most powerful sports sedan in the world, because they can't wait for something to be done right. Just to get "the look".

Nuff said about that.

haterinc
08-14-09, 10:28 PM
No offense there fella. I'm just saying that to a lot of the guys that are willing to mod outside of their safety zones (ie factory warranty mostly) $300 is Saturday night bar tab. And I for one probably won't have the same V before the shocks wear out as a new front end or better factory set up will have me swap it in. Will I ever go back to MB or BMW.... doubtful unless they come out with something amazing. V is the kind of not just records and performance but looks and the American economy needs all the help it can get with the Antichrist trying to bleed me dry on taxes and promising an increase.

As far as Hennessey goes, I don't have a bad thing to say about them because they have some nice products for the V... but as far as tuners that have paid their dues on the V platform over the years, Hennessey is hardly at the head of the pack as the majority of their upgrade kit comes from other company's parts ie AR, Corsa, EFI live, etc. I'm not sure what "reputable" tuners you were referring to about coming out with their own springs, but the only ones advertising upcoming kits have not just put in their dues in forum support, but also in the Caddy label across all models.

So, basically I'm just saying I can tell you're impressed that Hennessey personally answered your inquiry lol, and the name has been in magazines and have a lot of really nice products but just because they say its not good for the car doesn't mean that is the says all end all on the subject. I've done some preliminary studies and its a far cry from impossible. And I wouldn't call the rest of these guys dropping these things down dumb because like I said, I doubt you're driving the Nurbering or anything even close lol ;)

Hopefully since I'm in the same boat as you, we'll both see a nice finished product to bring it down right... until then to each their own.

now back to my own thread :)

wfo
08-15-09, 02:39 PM
HaterInc..

Here's the bottomline.

I'm rarely impressed with people, but by their actions. A business, Walmart, Hennessey Performance, whomever..any business that takes the time to write, email, call or send me a thank you note, whatever. Professionalism, courage, honesty, taking moral high ground whe given the opportunity/personal integrity, that's what impresses me. Not John Hennessey. With corporate corruption an all time high , politicans that speak out of both sides of their mouth and Forum vendors that don't always live up to promises, it is refreshing to see different.

All this thread is/was for was the apprising of a bonified legimate lowering kit for the 09 V. And in hopes that anyone purchasing springs not, aware of the product(s) not specific to this years, 09 V model, that ride quality could be compromised, which "could" lead to costly repair or frustration.

P.M. me...that way we can stay positve.

I'm done.

Gary Wells
08-15-09, 03:22 PM
Gary (WFO):
I, for one, would like to thank you for passing along the info and posting Hennessey's response. I consider it plausible enough that I am not going to question either your personal integrity nor that of John Hennessey. It's unfortunate that some people don't see the "shoot the messenger" syndrome for what it's really worth. Generally: nothing. Again, thanks for the info.
Personally, I am not going to knock Eibach lowering springs, but I had them on one of my turbo bricks and I did not care for them. Only lowering the car about 3/4" to an inch, they were choppy and loose unless you slammed the car into a corner. They were fine when you were in a corner or tight into a sweeper, but other than that, I did not care for them 90% of the time.

wfo
08-15-09, 03:34 PM
You're right Gary. Eibach does make great products...just nothing to date for the 09 V. I guess I didn't make myself clear. No knock on Eibach.

Even though I went with PFADT coilovers for my 08 Z06. LOL!

Gary Wells
08-15-09, 03:53 PM
You're right Gary. Eibach does make great products...just nothing to date for the 09 V. I guess I didn't make myself clear. No knock on Eibach.

Even though I went with PFADT coilovers for my 08 Z06. LOL!
I do believe that Eibach in general makes great products, and I think that your post was very clear, , and if I had a C6ZO6, I also would do the PFADT's on any of their products. PFADT's are considered to be the benchmark by which all others are measured.

haterinc
08-15-09, 05:28 PM
sorry man, don't take me wrong, i'm not getting pissy or anything like that. i've had eibachs on a couple rides before. they did their job, quiet, no squeaks or anything. but i'm hardly an advocate saying they're the best out there. they were just available at that time. not here to make any enemies. i was actually just poking at ya because you'd mentioned guys putting regular springs on it and it just made me smile that's all. like i said, hennessey makes some good products esp for a lot of vehicles out there, but for this particular car, i haven't seen the bring out anything truly custom with r&d other than the intake.

i can be abrasive at times in my joking around, but not intended to cause tension. we're both after the same thing. ;)

wfo
08-15-09, 05:51 PM
It's all good haterinc..

CIWS
08-16-09, 10:22 AM
Thanks for passing on more info for owners / potential owners to see. It never hurts to have multiple opinions on any products for the cars.

wfo
08-16-09, 10:40 AM
If there were multiple lowering products for the 09 V that would be great. Then there wouldn't be this thread.

At present, there isn't any lowering kit available for this year's (09) V model. That's the point here.

synergy408
08-16-09, 06:05 PM
I have the Eibachs on my non v.2 and it rides great...the below pics are hours after install so the car is a bit more "settled" now. Obviously I am only in it for the aesthetics (given the non V setup) but I would consider Eibach on a V as they are a reputable brand and deliver a quality product. The H&R springs should be out by October...coilovers are obviously the best bet once they are released by Bilstein and / or others.

Eibach setup:

http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS1A.jpg

http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS2A.jpg

http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS3A.jpg

http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS4A.jpg

wfo
08-16-09, 06:51 PM
That my friend, this is an absolutley gorgoeus ride. This is what I'm after. You my man have done it right. Great height..sits sweetly right.

The Eibachs for your ride is the right application, the best approach.

Very nice!!

Thank for the pics too.

Gary Wells
08-16-09, 08:05 PM
Beautiful car, great color. I would not hesitate to run Eibach lowering springs if I had the same car. Great stance, too, couldn't have come out any better.

SlvrBullIT
08-16-09, 08:54 PM
I would do the Eibach or H&R with 20's if it didn't affect the MR suspension.... Have to wait and see.

synergy408
08-16-09, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys for the comments...I'm pretty happy with the setup. The body kit helps complement the stance and it came painted in the body color which was awesome! Take care guys!