: about to buy on 06 sts, got some ?'s

306stang
08-12-09, 11:28 PM
so i found a hell of a deal on a car. i live in atlanta and the car is in jacksonville, fl at what looks like a car lot.

pulled a carfax: 1 owner, 50k miles, nav, v8, fully loaded. price . . .CHEAP

downside is that the carfax states there was an accident in 06. it appears that all checks were and have been made. car was originally a NY vehicle but had the undercarriage sprayed.

pictures look great and it's exactly what i'm looking for.

is there a way i can figure out what kind of accident it was and what was damaged and fixed? dmv records are public aren't they?

in my opinion, if the car looks and feels solid i'm going to pull the trigger and get it. obviously i'm going to take it to a caddy dealer down there and get them to check it out.

what would you guys do or look for??

Unique Distributing
08-12-09, 11:55 PM
Well i believe that the car fax has a option to check the dmv to see what was reported as a accident. ex:front end,side impact.... you will have to pay extra for that. And see how much the claim is for. most times the insurance company will write off a car if the damage is about half the value of the car so keep an eye for that. Bringing it to a cadillac/GM dealership to have it checked out is gonna cost you a stimulus package and a half!

306stang
08-13-09, 12:19 AM
this is my first time using carfax . . .

in the section regarding the title, it says, Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt | Fire | Flood | Hail | Lemon - then in the next box says Guaranteed, no problem.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? please tell me the title doesn't have all that all on?

where is this option to check the dmv?

306stang
08-13-09, 12:30 AM
this is my first time using carfax, where is this option?

snum1fan
08-13-09, 12:51 AM
You go to either contact carfax or dispute a record. I just disputed one and I saw the option for more info on an accident. It's in a drop down menu on the contact form. I think it's in the menu for the what is the reason you are contacting carfax. It's a long drop down menu. Just go on there and look for contact carfax you will see it. It may be in a dispute but I'm almost positive it's in the contact form. They have pretty good customer service.

306stang
08-14-09, 10:25 PM
what are some good sites for upgrades?

obviously e&g for the grill but what about all other avenues?

sts4ga
08-14-09, 10:41 PM
Sounds like the one I was considering. I'm about the same distance from JAX and ATL so I got mine in Mcdonough from Spartan Lincoln/Merc. No HUD but AWD...

That one does look like a nice car but when I called they wouldn't budge on the price. I mentioned the carfax and they acted like they didn't know :bigroll:

I walked away from a few before I found one I wanted...

306stang
08-14-09, 11:18 PM
when did you buy? i was at spartan on monday and drove the awd. i have no need for awd so there was no point it getting it, plus it's heavier and a little more expensive. damn nice car though, damn nice. clean as hell!!

strange. if it's the same place, they came right out with the carfax. well i'm flying down in the morning. did you even go look at it?

you can ALWAYS get a little wiggle room

sts4ga
08-15-09, 06:17 AM
when did you buy? i was at spartan on monday and drove the awd. i have no need for awd so there was no point it getting it, plus it's heavier and a little more expensive. damn nice car though, damn nice. clean as hell!!

strange. if it's the same place, they came right out with the carfax. well i'm flying down in the morning. did you even go look at it?

you can ALWAYS get a little wiggle room

I got it on thursday.

It was the 6th one I looked at and the shortest distance I drove to check one out was 2.5 hrs away because I live in the sticks.

I HAD to have black with nav. and 18" wheels and it was the cleanest one I came across.

Funny thing about the AWD. I had researched the car, engine, options etc. and didn't read anything about the AWD because I didn't think I'd run into one in the south. I had NO IDEA that the STS 4 meant AWD until I got the car home... I just knew it had what I wanted and was clean...

I'm kind of glad it's AWD because it makes it a little more "exotic".

Good luck on the one in Fla! It would've been #7 for me so maybe it'll be good luck for you! Hopefully you can fly down and drive up:cool2:

Greg00coupe
08-15-09, 07:35 AM
I'm in Ohio and bought a car is Wisconsin.......... Same deal car fax indicated an accident. Contacted DMV in Wisconsin..... confirmed accident said right front fender police report indicated damage at less then $1,000. Free

306stang
08-15-09, 09:58 PM
well the trigger was pulled and i drove it back to atlanta.

car checked out, mechanic said it was solid.

there are a few cosmetic issues that have to be taken care of but for what i paid IT'S A STEAL

post pics when i can

Regulator
08-15-09, 11:05 PM
You keep telling us how great of a deal you got....what did you pay? What options?...What cosmetic do you need to fix?

306stang
08-15-09, 11:39 PM
just noticed the title reads 06, it should be 05

out the door 17

tint sucks - scratched here and there, dark a hell but a little purple, looks like the tint on the rear window was applied correctly b/c it's looks like it wasn't seated or whatever properly (looks funny around the defrost bars), tint is missing on passenger rear door

covers/faceplates on both ashtrays are missing. either the entire ashtray needs to be replaced or buy the faces

pillars have a two dents in them. not sure which pillars it's referred to but the ones that run vertical b/w the front and rear door (likely to see these in chrome on ghetto cars)

like i said, it's only minor cosmetic items. other than that the car is solid.

sts4ga
08-16-09, 01:11 AM
Cool!
Like I said, we were considering going to check that one out. I wondered about the missing tint on the window in the pics.

It has the sport pkg. and HUD doesn't it?

So how was the ride home?

Funny thing, we called about the one I got to make sure it was available and told the guy we were coming a long way to look at it. When we got there the guy apologized and said that the manager took it to the golf course with his friends :rolleyes:

They had to find the guy and send him another car so I could see the caddy... Kind of a PITA but it was worth the wait. The guy could've driven ANY car on a Lincoln lot and he takes the STS :bouncy:

When it FINALLY arrived it drew a little crowd including a guy who was there buying a $32,000 Milan. Nice car but you should've seen his face when I told him what I paid for the STS! About half of that for twice the car...

EuroSTS
08-18-09, 11:03 AM
I'm looking at buying an 07 with 15,000 miles. Original owner, no accidents, V6, nothing really extra (no nav for example) for $25,000. I was wondering if that's a fair and reasonable price or if I should push it.

rnkath08
08-18-09, 11:43 AM
:cloud9:

rnkath08
08-18-09, 11:45 AM
sorry

rnkath08
08-18-09, 11:49 AM
Not sure if it's okay to post this here, but I wanted to say I got my 06 sts 4, with 13k miles on it (black raven)..has all the bells and whistles except HUD and ACC, and it's 4.6L from a place in Parma Ohio called Great Lakes Auto. Shipped to me it was $22,500. This was in May. I'm posting all the details so you can compare prices.
I can't rave about the folks there enough, they promised if I was unhappy with it they would buy it back, they called a few times to check in to be sure I was pleased and with the money I saved (IMHO) I got the GMPP, the mesh grille, the v hood, the tint, the performance exhaust and Hawk pads. I still came out well ahead of what comparable caddys up here were being sold for with much higher miles. If you check them on google you'll find their web and they have cars listed on ebay too. Mostly high end lease turn ins like mine.
I just wanted to throw it out there as I know sometimes it's like looking for a needle in a haystack and add the distance it's good to know who has had a good experience and where.
Good luck!

skozzy
08-18-09, 12:02 PM
I just picked up my 06 V8 AWD 1SG with 34K for $17,000. Still waiting for the shipping company to deliever but she has every option except the HUD and ACC. I searched every site I could think of looking for one. I thought I was going to have to settle for one with 50K-70K for that price range. The guy was asking 19K but I negotiated it to 17K.

Oh and it was one owner title was registered to GM so I assume a lease return as well.

MacMuse
08-18-09, 12:33 PM
Oh and it was one owner title was registered to GM so I assume a lease return as well.

The price sounds comparable to my used purchase a few months ago. Unless you're an accomplished DIY/self-mechanic I would recommend either a CPO (if you can get it) or some level of GMPP. At 34K you'll burn through your warranty period pretty quickly, especially when you find how much fun it is to drive.

I have got to quit going 10 miles out of my way on the way home from the grocery store ;)

skozzy
08-18-09, 12:47 PM
The price sounds comparable to my used purchase a few months ago. Unless you're an accomplished DIY/self-mechanic I would recommend either a CPO (if you can get it) or some level of GMPP. At 34K you'll burn through your warranty period pretty quickly, especially when you find how much fun it is to drive.

I have got to quit going 10 miles out of my way on the way home from the grocery store ;)

I have started reading up on the GMPP, also plan on taking it into the Cadillac Dealer here once it arrives to have find out if I can get CPO, plus have it just checked out. I am lucky enough to be friends with a few of the guys who work there!

sts4ga
08-18-09, 01:38 PM
06 V8 AWD 1sg with 46K for 18K. Not a screaming deal but I wanted black with 18" wheels...

Seems like the black ones sell faster. One place had 3, a silver, dk blue and a black and the black had higher miles and was more $$. The condition was about identical. I didn't look that hard because I wanted a CTS.

I had changed from looking at CTS's to STS's and when I went by to drive it it was gone. They still had the other 2...

A couple of the internet deals I found were gone when I called.

EChas3
08-18-09, 04:38 PM
I'm looking at buying an 07 with 15,000 miles. Original owner, no accidents, V6, nothing really extra (no nav for example) for $25,000. I was wondering if that's a fair and reasonable price or if I should push it.

I think it's a bit pricey. You could have only 1 more year of warranty and it lacks the toys that I like so much. However, if it is your idea of what an STS ought to be, that would sway my advice.

If you think an STS should be different, wait to find that car at a price you can afford.

Have Fun!

K STS
08-18-09, 04:53 PM
Woah

rnkath08
08-18-09, 10:39 PM
wow gang, wish I could've found one in the high teens (actually know all the extra mods I could've spent the extra savings on!!!) but at the time it was a great deal compared to anything I could find locally and except changes I wanted to make for my own preference it was nice to have it all be good to go.
I hope you find an even better deal out there!! Good luck!