: Bose Speakers = Joke

J-Ridez
08-12-09, 04:48 PM
I recently removed one of my door panels while under taking my Dynamat project and made a shocking discovery about the Bose "premium" system, it looks just like the factory A/C Delco speakers in my wife's non-Bose CTS!!!! Flimsy paper cone - it looks like a throw back to something found at Radio Shack circa 1990!!!! I was expecting something somewhat better looking, at least comparable to a $50 set of Pioneers.

When I think about it, before replacing the stock radio and adding an amp & subs I don't really recall my "Premium" Bose sounding too much better than a non-Bose system to begin with.

Either way - the point of this is an inquiry into what others have replaced their stock door speakers with? And those that have, was it just plug & play with a harness? Finally does anyone know the Ohm load of the factory speakers, I don't want to take the door panel off again just to find out. The reason why I ask about Ohm level is because I tried to replace our CTS speakers with 4 ohm two-ways and it sounded horrible (really low sound) since the stock speakers are wired for 1 Ohm.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

hcvone
08-12-09, 05:15 PM
Bose can make nice things, but when car companies have them make it for a price like all car parts, well we get less than great things. :(

luxurylife33
08-12-09, 05:49 PM
Bose makes VERY good speakers, but as mentioned above, when car companies are given a budget, they often take the cheapest route and can now sell a car with a "Bose" sound system, which to me degrades the true quality of Bose. If I were the CEO of Bose, I would tell GM to go efffff themselves because they really are making their company look bad with the setups in our Escalades.

CadillacSTS42005
08-12-09, 06:00 PM
um
about all stock car speakers have been paper and continue to be paper reguardless of which company makes them
the infinity system in chry products are paper
jbl and mach in ford paper

oh and guess what, the boston acoustic speakers in the brand new camaro PAPER

if your looking for a poly cone and some silk tweeters i suggest you look into some aftermarkets

coralreef35mm
08-12-09, 11:10 PM
My Porsche has paper speakers

oldworld
08-13-09, 11:41 AM
I took my panel off a few weeks ago to attempt to find out why that door speaker was not working.
The harness was bad so I cut it and soldered the wires directly to the speakers terminals.
I do not recall anywhere on the speaker any markings to indicate ohm rating.
Maybe call your local dealer....or better yet call your local best buy. They can look it up for you in their computer.

Funny, but what gets me too is when you look at the actual speaker grille in the doors, looks VERY impressive. Under that same grille is a "joke" as you put it for sure.

WHAT YOU SEE IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU GET lol :sneaky:

GCOP
08-14-09, 12:13 PM
The impeadence dowsn't have anything to do with your poor sound Q. The factory Bose are crossed over at the amp, all your going to get is a low sound.

and yes the factory Bose is junk....

pcguy760
08-15-09, 05:23 AM
The impeadence dowsn't have anything to do with your poor sound Q. The factory Bose are crossed over at the amp, all your going to get is a low sound.

and yes the factory Bose is junk....

I second that and I second the fact that Bose should tell GM to go f*** themselves but hey its all about the money right?

Within weeks of gettin my truck I changed all the door speakers, rear pillar speakers and the tweeters up front to Infinty's higher range aftermarkets, aftermarket head unit, a pair of 15" subs and ONE 5 channel amp to run everything - it was a DRASTIC difference and sounds fantastic.

I must say though, GM should have put 5x7 or 6x9 speakers for the doors on this vehicles since it is not a Toyota Corolla!

oldworld
08-15-09, 11:18 AM
Agree with PC 100%.
There is so much room behind the front speaker grilles....why such a small speaker.
Sort of like putting one pound of potatoes in a fifty pound bag...lol

Also agree 100% as I have stated in many posts here, especially the one about the traffic cameras....IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE DOLLAR and anyone who disagrees needs to immediately run to their doctors to schedule an MRI of their brain

:bonkers:

pcguy760
08-16-09, 04:13 AM
LOLOL@oldworld about the 50lb bag - much like some kids nowdays who wear oversize clothes like 3 or 4 sizes over - somehow kinda related lol.

CEPMAN
08-20-09, 11:51 AM
Factory speakers are always crap because they figure if they make a sound system that's too good, it'll leave them subject to being responsible for people violating noice ordinances or making claims of hearing loss. That's why no one truly offers a sound system that worth a damn.

First thing I do whenever I get a new vehicle is replace the sound system.

Also, factory speakers usually have some kinda funky impedance. If I'm not mistaken, I think ours are 3 ohms.

Bazar6
08-21-09, 12:20 AM
Bose or not, my factory Escalade system (Bose) is 10x better than the factory setup in my old 06 F150.. I was livin large when I got my Escalade lol.. Tho I do feel the sub isn't worthy of being Bose quality, but the mids and tweeters sound good to me, at low and high levels. And aesthetics…*how many of your buddies are going to look in the door to see what kind of speakers you have when the nav pops up with "Cadillac.. Sound by Bose"? lol

pcguy760
08-21-09, 01:24 AM
Bose or not, my factory Escalade system (Bose) is 10x better than the factory setup in my old 06 F150.. I was livin large when I got my Escalade lol.. Tho I do feel the sub isn't worthy of being Bose quality, but the mids and tweeters sound good to me, at low and high levels. And aesthetics…*how many of your buddies are going to look in the door to see what kind of speakers you have when the nav pops up with "Cadillac.. Sound by Bose"? lol

1. I agree that the stock Bose system does sound better than the Ford Mach system or whatever they call it but that's about it.

2. LOL, try being an audio installer and havin buddies who are audio techs as well haha - I was bullied in several vehicles lol.

Anyway, hey if it sounds good to you so be it :) but I just love my aftermarket Infinity setup. Ear candy to me.

Bazar6
08-21-09, 04:50 PM
o hell yea, don't get me wrong I love doin the aftermarket systems..*I'm about to put an Audiobahn amp and sub in truck.. But yea I can see how an installer with a bunch of tech buddies could get on your case about a stock system lol

daquan44
01-01-10, 03:25 PM
The stock system in the 03 sucks. The stock Bose system in my Altima sounds better to me. Cadillac must have went really cheap on this. I didn't change out my speakers in the nissan, but most definitely upgraded to Focals in the escalade. By the way, has anyone ever found where the factory amp is?:suspense:

CEPMAN
01-01-10, 04:16 PM
I think your 03 is the same as my 04. If so, the factory amp is underneath/inside the center console, under the bucket.

parts68
01-02-10, 12:00 AM
I believe BOSE are 2 ohm

murderedon24s
01-05-10, 05:06 AM
the stock bose system in the escalade is decent compared to most cars. as someone said above, it is the amp that is causing you the issue, not the speaker itself. you will have difficulty running aftermarket speakers off your factory amp as they are meant for those bose speakers. if you want to do a cheap, easy system upgrade that sounds decent, just buy a small 200.4 amp and some aftermarket speakers like alpine or something and hook up a hi to low converter to your stock deck. you will get better sound if you upgrade your stereo deck though.

i had diamond audio hex series 6.5 components and now i have hertz audio mlk165 components and coaxils in the rear doors (with 2 jl 13.5w7 subs, you can't hear a lot of highs in the back anyways) and they are great. i am also using all alpine pdx series amps (and aftermarket pioneer screen).

CEPMAN
01-05-10, 12:34 PM
@murdered0n24s

did you bypass your factory amp? If so, how did you go about doing it and do you still have your chimes/onstar?

murderedon24s
01-07-10, 12:17 AM
you can bypass your factory amp a couple of ways. you can basically rewire your speakers to run off your aftermarket deck or you can by a piece that plugs into the harness that enables that amp to be run off a different deck than your stock one.

like i said before, i wouldnt use that crappy amp for anything really. if you keep your stock speakers, i would even put a little more powerful amp in there or just run it off your screen or what have you and you will notice a difference. I used to run my stock bose speakers off a kenwood screen awhile back (before the screen itself kept breaking, POS) and they sounded a lot better.

hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

CEPMAN
01-07-10, 09:38 AM
I got rid of my factory radio and factory speakers. I'd really rather NOT run wires to each individual speaker. If I could get a wiring schematic of the factory amp wires, that would work. I agree - the factory amp sucks.

murderedon24s
01-07-10, 07:55 PM
I got rid of my factory radio and factory speakers. I'd really rather NOT run wires to each individual speaker. If I could get a wiring schematic of the factory amp wires, that would work. I agree - the factory amp sucks.

Haha ya it is a shitty amp and especially since you have already gotten rid of the factory radio and speakers, I'd give up on that amp too. You aren't going to be able to get enough power to your speakers using it and you could even blow them that way. Just unhook the factory amp, leave in place and if you aren't trying to spend a lot of money on an amp for the speakers, just pick up a middle grade amp (I'm assuming you probably won't notice a big difference) and you will be much happier with the sound.

The Alpine PDX amps are good with lots of power and are really small so they can be hidden pretty easily. Choosing to put in a new amp though will mean you are going to have to run the new wiring. It is a trade off of having better sound. :cool2:

RByers91
01-11-10, 01:27 PM
When i first got my car the stock speakers were wired to an aftermarket deck and amp. It sounded decent. I've since then replaced almost all the speakers in the car with type x's and im running them off a 300/4 JL amp. The difference is amazing. The tweeters didn't fit in the front pillars so i used that extra room by the front speakers to put the tweeters there and wired it so the original tweeters still work. Re wiring isn't that bad, i just put the amp under the rear seats and ran them along the side of the floor.

Caddycrown_Hollywood
01-13-10, 05:25 AM
It's because you guys have never tried the new Prius' speaker system....well...even after 20 minutes of playing with the "equalizer" (yea right) it still sounded like those old cassette radios from 1989...if GM went to save on a dollar, Toyota probably got them for a few dimes lol.
Speaking of which, how come my friend's 2002 Corvette was offered still with an in-dash cassette unit? I don't mean to point fingers, but do you guys still carry any in your car?

murderedon24s
01-14-10, 05:59 AM
It's because you guys have never tried the new Prius' speaker system....well...even after 20 minutes of playing with the "equalizer" (yea right) it still sounded like those old cassette radios from 1989...if GM went to save on a dollar, Toyota probably got them for a few dimes lol.
Speaking of which, how come my friend's 2002 Corvette was offered still with an in-dash cassette unit? I don't mean to point fingers, but do you guys still carry any in your car?

The Escalades without navigation come with a plain and simple deck with a cd and cassette player in the middle. I know the 02 had a cassette player and when I ordered mine a few years back, I got it with the cassette player because I knew I would just replace it with an aftermarket system.

redneckscladedriver
01-15-10, 01:03 PM
I would not mind changing the system in my EXT if it wasnt for the fact (at least what was told to me) that the harness cost more that the audio unit, BTW doesn't GM know that cassetts went by the wayside years ago. I have a Sirius Head Unit and use the cassett as the FM function sucks but I would really like to upgrade to a sat ready unit and delete all the external crap. is the a way around this short of hacking the harness?

Caddycrown_Hollywood
01-16-10, 05:08 AM
The Escalades without navigation come with a plain and simple deck with a cd and cassette player in the middle. I know the 02 had a cassette player and when I ordered mine a few years back, I got it with the cassette player because I knew I would just replace it with an aftermarket system.

Smart move :cool2:

I just got mine like that because I bought it used 2nd hand hehe but im thinking about installing a JVC KW-AVX810 Vehicle Multimedia Receiver w/ 7" Touch Panel Monitor but as we know it is needed a little mod to fit it.

murderedon24s
01-17-10, 07:14 AM
Smart move :cool2:

I just got mine like that because I bought it used 2nd hand hehe but im thinking about installing a JVC KW-AVX810 Vehicle Multimedia Receiver w/ 7" Touch Panel Monitor but as we know it is needed a little mod to fit it.

Look into the new Pioneer model with the 7''. I have been thinking of getting rid of my Pioneer D3 screen for the newer model. With the right dash kit, no modifications have to be made! Let me know if you go with a 7'' screen because I haven't seen anyone do it yet. The new Pioneer 7'' double din runs for about $600 or so without the nav (you don't need it because the nav systems in them are ass backwards and make no sense whatsoever) and the iPod interface is a lot more user friendly.

targetbrooks
01-21-10, 04:18 PM
The factory Amp (and i use the word Amp lightly) is located Drivers side rear panel in the cargo area, or just left of the 3rd row seat. Also, don't mix Factory Bose components w/ aftermarket. Bose will not perform well. The Bose system only works good if its all factory Bose.

I recommend replacing the entire stereo. Pioneer or Alpine.

jgoodlin
01-21-10, 05:43 PM
I don't mean to threadjack, so please tell me if I should create a new post for this topic.

I am also thinking about upgrading my sound system in my '02 lade, the bose system leaves a lot to be desired.... Will I be able to put in a new head unit, door speakers, amp, and sub without having to run new wires from the amp to each of the speakesr? Can I use the existing wires (already in place from the factory system) from the head unit to the new amp to the new speakers installed? I am a noob when it comes to installing car audio, so I would like to know how much work I have ahead of me.

murderedon24s
01-24-10, 08:23 PM
Nope. You'll need an amp kit with the power wire, ground, rca cables, remote turn on wire, and all the clamps for them. Call a local stereo place and they'll tell you all that you need and just shop around online. monster makes good kits along with jl audio. but there are lots of brands out there that sell a package deal.

A320
07-29-12, 04:46 PM
My rear door speakers on my 07 sound like shit. I think they're blown. How do I get access to those, I tried popping the grills off but failed. Do I need to remove some door paneling? Couldn't find any videos on youtube.

the cadillac man
07-29-12, 08:34 PM
My rear door speakers on my 07 sound like shit. I think they're blown. How do I get access to those, I tried popping the grills off but failed. Do I need to remove some door paneling? Couldn't find any videos on youtube.

You have to remove the door panel to get to the speaker.

the cadillac man
08-07-12, 02:49 AM
the stock bose system in the escalade is decent compared to most cars. as someone said above, it is the amp that is causing you the issue, not the speaker itself. you will have difficulty running aftermarket speakers off your factory amp as they are meant for those bose speakers. if you want to do a cheap, easy system upgrade that sounds decent, just buy a small 200.4 amp and some aftermarket speakers like alpine or something and hook up a hi to low converter to your stock deck. you will get better sound if you upgrade your stereo deck though.

i had diamond audio hex series 6.5 components and now i have hertz audio mlk165 components and coaxils in the rear doors (with 2 jl 13.5w7 subs, you can't hear a lot of highs in the back anyways) and they are great. i am also using all alpine pdx series amps (and aftermarket pioneer screen).i hate to break it to you but infinity speakers run off of the stock amp just fine i know cause i am running infinity speakers in my truck and i also replaced the sub too much better sound quality(plus i found flaws in the bose speakers that most people wouldn't notice because i am a audiophile)i have been running them for about six months and haven't had a problem so no it isn't always the amp cause i tried one of the speakers on my home audio system just see if it made a difference no luck and i even crossed it over around the same as the factory amp does.

chasd
11-08-14, 03:02 PM
Maybe I'm missing something since I've searched high and low. I just want to know what aftermarket subwoofer can be used to replace the stock one without adding amps and rewiring. Just remove old one and put in replacement.

bankedtime
11-11-14, 05:26 PM
After working 40 years in power plants they sound great to me!!!!!!

the cadillac man
11-11-14, 06:01 PM
Maybe I'm missing something since I've searched high and low. I just want to know what aftermarket subwoofer can be used to replace the stock one without adding amps and rewiring. Just remove old one and put in replacement.
It's impossible
I had to get a powered sub small enough to fit under the console when I swapped mine out
The speakers can be swapped without the need for a amp
The work to swap the sub wasn't easy but it was worth it
There is a few members on here that have heard my setup and was surprised that it was powered by the factory amp(minus the sub)

Mark Edward Morrison
11-11-14, 08:48 PM
It's impossible I had to get a powered sub small enough to fit under the console when I swapped mine out The speakers can be swapped without the need for a amp The work to swap the sub wasn't easy but it was worth it There is a few members on here that have heard my setup and was surprised that it was powered by the factory amp(minus the sub) Caddy Man's system is really nice sounding! Very gooindeed❗️❗️

the cadillac man
11-12-14, 12:36 AM
Caddy Man's system is really nice sounding! Very gooindeed❗️❗️

Thanks man
If you decide to go the same route give
Me a shout and I will walk you through the entire process