: Best Cadillac ATS Forum

Lord Cadillac
08-12-09, 02:58 PM
If you came here through a search and are looking for the best Cadillac ATS forum (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum.php?f=275) <--- click the link!

The "Alpha" or ATS small car is now formally approved after several delays. This will be Cadillac's new entry level vehicle and will compete directly with BMW's 3-Series vehicles. It'll be available as a coupe and a sedan - convertible and wagon versions are completed but have not yet been approved. The ATS will be a base RWD vehicle with AWD optional. It'll have 4 and 6 cylinder variants and will be styled along the lines of the CTS. Design work was completed several years ago and modified slightly since then.

Discuss...

Albertan
08-13-09, 12:30 AM
This is exactly the car I have been looking for. I have a 2006 V, my wife drives our original 2004CTS. Our kids are gone so we don't need a big car. I refuse to buy another front wheel drive car. So what were my choices? Mustang, Challenger, Camero or G8. Of those only the G8 interests me at all. So I looked at foreign cars and of course looked at BMW. I have actually been on a factory tour in Munich. My neighbours have: M5, M3, 330CI, 325I, 323I so this spring I picked up a 1995 318IS to rebuild just for the heck of it. I also wouldn't buy a new BMW so I was thinking of a nearly new one when the time came, which in this economy won't be for a while.
I'm anxious to see what the ATS will look like and when they will be available.
I'd like to see it less than 3500 pounds with the 304hp 3.6 litre motor and then a V version with 400+.

70eldo
08-13-09, 05:10 AM
I am really looking forward to the ATS! Seems like the BLS won't be revived then?
So, no more A, B, C, D models range?

So ATS, CTS, SRX, XTS remain. Or if BLS would come back, it will be BTS. But only when the CTS has grown to fit in between.
Somehow XTS doesn't fit in the sequence. Will we be surprised again like with the SRX that was supposedly the BRX? Maybe the XTS will be released as DTS afterall? Hence the FWD platform?

Lord Cadillac
08-13-09, 11:59 AM
This is exactly the car I have been looking for. I have a 2006 V, my wife drives our original 2004CTS. Our kids are gone so we don't need a big car. I refuse to buy another front wheel drive car. So what were my choices? Mustang, Challenger, Camero or G8. Of those only the G8 interests me at all. So I looked at foreign cars and of course looked at BMW. I have actually been on a factory tour in Munich. My neighbours have: M5, M3, 330CI, 325I, 323I so this spring I picked up a 1995 318IS to rebuild just for the heck of it. I also wouldn't buy a new BMW so I was thinking of a nearly new one when the time came, which in this economy won't be for a while.
I'm anxious to see what the ATS will look like and when they will be available.
I'd like to see it less than 3500 pounds with the 304hp 3.6 litre motor and then a V version with 400+.

I think the CTS will look good as a small car (with minor modifications, as mentioned). I'm also anxious to get some idea of what it'll look like..

I am really looking forward to the ATS! Seems like the BLS won't be revived then?
So, no more A, B, C, D models range?

So ATS, CTS, SRX, XTS remain. Or if BLS would come back, it will be BTS. But only when the CTS has grown to fit in between.
Somehow XTS doesn't fit in the sequence. Will we be surprised again like with the SRX that was supposedly the BRX? Maybe the XTS will be released as DTS afterall? Hence the FWD platform?

I don't think Cadillac is 100% on any of these names yet.. But - there's always the possibility that they are...

ATS - 3-Series, C-Class, IS
CTS - 5-Series. E-Class, GS
SRX - RX, X5, Whatever
XTS - Hmm.. Not too sure.. Kinda like a 7-Series, S-Class, LS (but not)
Escalade line - Navigator, LX

I think that's what it's going to be...

70eldo
08-14-09, 05:48 AM
I think the CTS will look good as a small car (with minor modifications, as mentioned). I'm also anxious to get some idea of what it'll look like..

I don't think Cadillac is 100% on any of these names yet.. But - there's always the possibility that they are...

ATS - 3-Series, C-Class, IS
CTS - 5-Series. E-Class, GS
SRX - RX, X5, Whatever
Escalade line - Navigator, LX

I think that's what it's going to be...

But the Alpha Platform was already announced (like 2-3 years ago?) to compete A3, BMW 1, VW Golf-platform cars when they also had plans for a new RWD BLS (on Delta II?) to compete the 3-series, A4, C-class...

Lord Cadillac
08-14-09, 12:04 PM
But the Alpha Platform was already announced (like 2-3 years ago?) to compete A3, BMW 1, VW Golf-platform cars when they also had plans for a new RWD BLS (on Delta II?) to compete the 3-series, A4, C-class...
I wasn't aware of any plans for Cadillac to have anything competing with the BMW 1-Series...

rp0420
08-14-09, 01:29 PM
i found this, but i think it might just be a photoshopped cts. And the lower half of the body toward the back looks kinda like a mazda protege

http://www.blogauto.com.br/wp-content/2009/07/cadillac_ats.jpg

The Tony Show
08-14-09, 02:06 PM
I still don't understand why everyone is in such a hurry to pidgeonhole every new car in to a "class", and define it by "what it competes against" instead of "what it is". For chrissakes people- we haven't even seen the car, the size, the specs or the price, and we're already trying to figure out if it competes against the 1 or 3 series?

Here's an idea: Instead of "Here's Cadillac's version of the 3 series" or "Cadillac's version of the 1 series", let's look at it as "Here's Cadillac's smaller, RWD sport luxury car".

The Tony Show
08-14-09, 02:07 PM
i found this, but i think it might just be a photoshopped cts. And the lower half of the body toward the back looks kinda like a mazda protege

My God, that's awful- looks like a Catera that a 5th grader Photoshopped the nose of a Gen 1 CTS on to.

:ack:

Vinsanity
08-14-09, 02:51 PM

I'm hoping for it to be a "tweener" like the Mercedes CLS. There's a lot of room in between the E- and S-classes, and not alot of competition. Although that price point is currently occupied by the Lexus LS and Jaguar XJ; Caddy's going to have to tell the beancounters to go to hell and shoot for the stars if they want to succeed here.

Albertan
08-14-09, 05:23 PM
Tony
I don't care what it competes with. I hadn't thought of that. I just want a car that is smaller than the CTS. Now that we are older we don't need all the room. Maybe it would even have the optional permanent left turn signal for us oldies?
Now that you've brought up the Catera, the machine shop that does my engine crank and boring has one of their employees that has a Catera V! I guess that was a little known option! Guess he's a wanna V.

Rodya234
08-15-09, 12:55 AM
I'm hoping that the current images don't reflect the actual production model, because right now it looks like a cheap Geely made ripoff of the CTS.

Also, for some reason, when these auto magazines and such come out with "renditions" the photoshop jobs all look terrible. :-/

The Tony Show
08-15-09, 02:22 PM
Now that you've brought up the Catera, the machine shop that does my engine crank and boring has one of their employees that has a Catera V! I guess that was a little known option! Guess he's a wanna V.

There was no such thing.

I recall seeing a guy on here that dropped an LS motor into his Catera and made his own "V" (complete with badging and all), but it certainly didn't come that way from the factory.

Lord Cadillac
08-15-09, 03:18 PM
I still don't understand why everyone is in such a hurry to pidgeonhole every new car in to a "class", and define it by "what it competes against" instead of "what it is". For chrissakes people- we haven't even seen the car, the size, the specs or the price, and we're already trying to figure out if it competes against the 1 or 3 series?

Here's an idea: Instead of "Here's Cadillac's version of the 3 series" or "Cadillac's version of the 1 series", let's look at it as "Here's Cadillac's smaller, RWD sport luxury car".

It just gives people something to talk about, Tony. There are plenty of people out there who love the BMW 3-Series - and would love even more to have one with a Cadillac design and American heritage... My feeling is that thinking, "Here's Cadillac's smaller, RWD sport luxury car" going without saying or even thinking. That IS what it is... The comparison is just food for thought...

Nope. That's nothing...

I'm hoping for it to be a "tweener" like the Mercedes CLS. There's a lot of room in between the E- and S-classes, and not alot of competition. Although that price point is currently occupied by the Lexus LS and Jaguar XJ; Caddy's going to have to tell the beancounters to go to hell and shoot for the stars if they want to succeed here.

A "tweener" would be fine but I don't think that's what we're going to get.

Albertan
08-15-09, 06:46 PM
Tony
Yep, I knew there was no such thing as the Catera V. Little badge engineering I guess. I did see the Catera with the LS engine but I would have to say why?
Lots of effort and it isn't the best looking car around.

70eldo
08-17-09, 04:51 AM

It is a photoshopped Opel Astra. The old one...

70eldo
08-17-09, 04:54 AM

I posted similar on GMI or somewhere here. I fully agree! Everyone seems focussed on what model is competing with what other. Indeed it would look better, when Cadillac offers their models and just praise what these models have to offer.

ral1960
08-18-09, 03:02 PM
Motor Trend showed some drawings of a CTS-like ATS last year. I'd rather see something like the Converj with RWD proportions.

The XTS will be GM's only full size sedan when it comes out. Thirty years ago, that was their bread and butter: Impala, Caprice, Gran Ville, 88, 98, LeSabre, Electra, Park Avenue, Deville, Fleetwood.

70eldo
10-14-09, 10:12 AM
mark my words: you will have to move this section to the BLS section or rename it BTS, because the ATS will launch as the BLS successor ;)
I prefer BTS

rekctsv
10-25-09, 11:43 AM
Wow, this is all new news to me. I am so feeling everything Cadillac is doing right now.

No one mentioned the STS, is it going away and we will have the XTS?

The Tony Show
10-26-09, 12:16 PM
STS and DTS are both going the way of the dodo within the next few years.

Ronster
04-02-10, 01:00 AM
well well well, where do I begin.
w/All due respect to 'Tony Show' (after all you directed me and others to the political board...), this model is the admission by GM that the CTS was totally confused market-wise being 5-series sized with a 3-series price. That a) is shown by many of the early sigma-II board posts including many by me, and indicated by multiple car-mag comparisons (CandD in particular); and 2) we NEED a baseline for our expectations before we see and make our own judgments.
That being said, this may be the one! I really like the large car feeling of my CTS, but truth-be-told, I was looking at 3-series bimmers before the CTS (II) came along. It was the CandD '25 cars worth waiting for' issue that alerted me to this model, as they report it will be available 'late next year'. 2012.
Okay I guess I haven't been paying attention (when did I last post on cf?), but this is actually fortuitous timing as I was going to motor on over to Weil and see what they could do insofaras replacing my 25k-mile 2008 CTS with a 2010/11 lease-turnover upgrade. Now, sorry, I shall wait for the real 3-series-beater.
rg

MJDART
04-02-10, 03:40 AM
I just found out about this car yesterday 4/1/10 I'm pretty excited about it. My 2006 CTS Sport will be ready to be replaced and I really like what I saw today.
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5397/atsvsedanb.jpg

concorso
04-02-10, 02:54 PM
well well well, where do I begin.
w/All due respect to 'Tony Show' (after all you directed me and others to the political board...), this model is the admission by GM that the CTS was totally confused market-wise being 5-series sized with a 3-series price. That a) is shown by many of the early sigma-II board posts including many by me, and indicated by multiple car-mag comparisons (CandD in particular); and 2) we NEED a baseline for our expectations before we see and make our own judgments.
That being said, this may be the one! I really like the large car feeling of my CTS, but truth-be-told, I was looking at 3-series bimmers before the CTS (II) came along. It was the CandD '25 cars worth waiting for' issue that alerted me to this model, as they report it will be available 'late next year'. 2012.
Okay I guess I haven't been paying attention (when did I last post on cf?), but this is actually fortuitous timing as I was going to motor on over to Weil and see what they could do insofaras replacing my 25k-mile 2008 CTS with a 2010/11 lease-turnover upgrade. Now, sorry, I shall wait for the real 3-series-beater.
rgWhat do you want, a cookie? GM was very clear in the beginning about what the CTS was...5 series size for 3 series money. There was never any confusion by those who were paying attention. Luckily you made all the posts in the SigmaII platform board....the entire Cadillac community has you to thank for the ATS coming to fruition. :cookoo:

Ronster
04-02-10, 04:17 PM
What do you want, a cookie? GM was very clear in the beginning about what the CTS was...5 series size for 3 series money. There was never any confusion by those who were paying attention. Luckily you made all the posts in the SigmaII platform board....the entire Cadillac community has you to thank for the ATS coming to fruition. :cookoo:

I'm not confused, but the experts at caranddriver certainly were.
remember the comparo in late 2007? new CTS vs 3? then they complained that the cadi was too large and heavy to match the moves of the 3? I do.
rg

thebigjimsho
04-04-10, 04:41 PM
I just found out about this car yesterday 4/1/10 I'm pretty excited about it. My 2006 CTS Sport will be ready to be replaced and I really like what I saw today.
That looks hawt!

as for the CTS, I love both of my Vs but my '09 has less useful space than my '04 does. It needs to be roomier to be a true medium between a larger DTS/STS/XTS and the ATS.

If they end up with an ATS-V with 400+ hp, I'd jump there from the CTS series...

Lord Cadillac
04-07-10, 05:20 PM
Hmm.. What's this?

concorso
04-13-10, 08:18 PM
I'm not confused, but the experts at caranddriver certainly were.
remember the comparo in late 2007? new CTS vs 3? then they complained that the cadi was too large and heavy to match the moves of the 3? I do.
rgPoint being? Some magazines will test in a price range, while some will test in a specific size range. They just decided to test based on price.

Umrswimr
04-14-10, 04:36 PM
Point being? Some magazines will test in a price range, while some will test in a specific size range. They just decided to test based on price.
Which is how most people buy. At least I do.
I know I directly cross-shopped my CTS-V against the ISF, C63AMG, and M3. All of which are smaller cars, but priced about the same. The size difference was a bonus for me. M5 size and performance at M3 pricing? Sold.

concorso
05-04-10, 10:45 PM
Those are the 4 cars I looked at as well, but I do know someone and from reading in the 09 forums that quite a few have come from the much more expensive M5 or E63. Some individuals look at the V and say "That car is just too heavy to compete with the M3 properly." while others say "the M5 is overpriced compared to the V". I dont see confusion, I just see a car that quite successfully straddles 2 categories while Cadillac is in the middle of shuffling models. I remember the CTS brochure saying it was M5 performance/size for M3 money. It thought they were fairly clear what the car was...

jrosevear
05-05-10, 10:19 AM
Anyone think it's possible that the new Alpha-based Cadillac will be called "CTS" and the next-gen CTS -- which will supposedly be a little bigger, properly 5-series-sized -- will be called something else (like STS, maybe)?

C&C
05-05-10, 08:45 PM
Anyone think it's possible that the new Alpha-based Cadillac will be called "CTS" and the next-gen CTS -- which will supposedly be a little bigger, properly 5-series-sized -- will be called something else (like STS, maybe)?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, no, but Cadillac can challenge the 1/3 series with the ATS and properly go after the 5 series with a new CTS (which it currently is really close anyway.............IMO). Cadillac needs to declare it the 'Standard of the World' and hold itself to it.

70eldo
05-07-10, 04:23 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, no, but Cadillac can challenge the 1/3 series with the ATS and properly go after the 5 series with a new CTS (which it currently is really close anyway.............IMO). Cadillac needs to declare it the 'Standard of the World' and hold itself to it.

Lets hope for a world class luxury interior in the top line then... Platinum should really live up to the ultimate luxury!

bruff1977
05-26-11, 12:29 PM
This goes for the 'ATS' and all Cadillac models that will spawn a coupe:

GM, please get the nomenclature right. Last I checked, 'CTS' stands for Catera Touring SEDAN. CTC or ATC works.

concorso
05-26-11, 01:00 PM
The 'c' in CTS does not stand for Catera. Officially, GM has said it stood for either 'C-Series' or 'Cadillac'.

concorso
05-26-11, 01:08 PM

Here's an idea: Instead of "Here's Cadillac's version of the 3 series" or "Cadillac's version of the 1 series", let's look at it as "Here's Cadillac's smaller, RWD sport luxury car".Most people find it hard to summarize what they think without comparing it to something else... I agree with you tho. We dont need a Cadillac 3 series. The 3 series is class leader, but the car itself shouldnt be benchmarked. We just need a small upscale rwd sedan that leads extremely well in the 3 series market. I love driving the M3, but I hate living inside it. I want my mix of CTS-V performance and engaging style, but in a smaller lighter nimbler package.

RippyPartsDept
05-26-11, 01:22 PM
From other threads over the years:

technically it is now

C-series Touring sedan

Others:
STS---S-series Touring Sedan
XLR---X-series Luxury Roadster
SRX---S-Series Reconfigurable Xrossover--yes crossover starts with a c, but isnt x just cooler
DTS---D-Series Touring Sedan
DHS---D-series High Luxury Sedan

the escalade does not really follow.

Now what it was originally was catera touring sedan, no matter what anyone says, mainly because some of the parts on '03's were stamped Catera....as i recall the underside of the front bumper has catera on it

and

"Due to high demand, we have released the following information to consumers:"

XLR = X-series Luxury Roadster
CTS = C-series Touring Sedan
SRX = S-series Reconfigurable Crossover
Deville DHS = Deville High-Luxury Sedan
Deville DTS = Deville Touring Sedan
STS = S-series Touring Sedan
DTS (2006) = D-series Touring Sedan
Escalade SUV = Escalade Sport Utility Vehicle
Escalade ESV = Escalade Stretch Vehicle
Escalade EXT = Escalade Crossover Truck

apparently answers.com even has the correct meaning
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Cadillac_CTS_Stand_for

JimmyH
05-27-11, 03:27 PM
I am pretty sure the official line from GM was Cadillac Touring Sedan. Although the C-series Touring Sedan makes more sense, given its German targets.

0AT E03
05-27-11, 06:20 PM
STS and DTS where trim levels of the Seville and Deville (as was SLS) and CTS is in that same vein. The C in CTS has changed over the years, regardless of what anyone says the C, S, & D originally stood for the car names (this is 100% true when the Seville and Deville carried the trim levels).

The SRX was Sigma Recreational (or Reconfigurable) Crossover, ATS is Alpha Touring Sedan, XLR was Luxury Roadster (the X stands for nothing) and XTS is in the same vein as that (the X stands for nothing). XTS is suppose to replace STS and DTS in functionality but XLR as the HALO of Cadillac hence the X instead of adopting the D or S from it's predecessors. It really should be DTS as XTS shares a platform, albeit an uplevel version, with the LaCrosse and Impala (just as the old K-Body DTS was an uplevel of the G-body)

concorso
06-21-11, 12:18 PM
Are you saying that officially, the C in CTS originally stood for Catera, thought it doesnt anymore? That would agree with the name catera showing up on some grills.

Jesda
06-28-11, 08:03 PM
It probably means Catera in a real but completely unofficial way. I mean, I dont think the letter C was chosen by accident.

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 02:24 PM
It probably means Catera in a real but completely unofficial way. I mean, I dont think the letter C was chosen by accident.Makes total sense to me...

Vrocks
01-26-12, 03:41 PM
... I'd like to see it less than 3500 pounds with the 304hp 3.6 litre motor and then a V version with 400+.
Good call!

RippyPartsDept
01-26-12, 04:57 PM

http://www.managedspeed.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Cadillac-ATS-2013-Red.jpg

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2012/01/2013-Cadillac-ATS-front-three-quarters3-623x389.jpg

Lord Cadillac
05-09-12, 05:59 PM
Bump. Why? Nostalgia. Sort of... We've been talking about the Cadillac ATS since August of 2009... Well, it's about to become a reality.

It does not feel like three years... Does it?

RippyPartsDept
05-09-12, 06:17 PM
and yes, it really is the best ATS forum ... with 111 threads and 2,200 posts to prove it

JimmyH
05-09-12, 06:30 PM
Reminds of all the V2 talk back in the day...

thebigjimsho
05-12-12, 04:04 PM
wut.