: A Violated V

RWFJR
08-12-09, 02:58 PM
7:10 am. Try to remote start car...horn goes beep...beep...beep. :ill: I go, Uh Oh... Walk around car and notice the RR (passenger) door window (small triangular one) was broken and the door was ajar. They did not get in. The alarm must have done it's job. Did not hear the alarm as I live in a high rise condo and the car is parked around the corner ground level... The rest of the tenants must be deaf or nearly dead. Called the police, made a report. Called the insurance company (that of which I have never had to use in my life!!!) They have not called me back yet. :banghead:
Took it to Dimmitt Cadi in Clearwater who has to overnight a "Full Window" ((can't just replace the little triangle window) (it is a capsulized system)) at a cost of $1156.91. :crying: Oh...The officer who I gave the report to over the phone asked as a standard question, "If we catch the people responsible for this, are you willing to prosecute". My standard answer, "You won't have to prosecute if I can have 5 minutes with him/her/or them first"!:lildevil:

At least I can still cruise in my V!

thatcoder
08-12-09, 03:19 PM
Man. I know what that feels like. Not to take away from your story, but in 1999, I had a Range Rover 4.6 HSE that got violated. They emptied it out (2 tv's in the headrest, one in the dash, ps2, subwoofer box etc.. ), and stole my 22" wheels. Sat the truck down on the concrete with the exception of one side which was on the jack. I didn't even wanna deal with the need to replace any of that, so I had a tow truck pick it up and take it to the junkyard.

thatcoder
08-12-09, 03:20 PM
Ouch @ that $1200 price tag for the window. Things you take for granted.

What exactly did they hope to get out of it? The nav? Surely they didn't think they were gonna be able to hot wire it and take it for a spin?

RWFJR
08-12-09, 03:51 PM
What exactly did they hope to get out of it? The nav? Surely they didn't think they were gonna be able to hot wire it and take it for a spin?[/QUOTE]

Strictly amateur "punks". I say this because most criminals, whether juvenile or adult know about the car alarm systems already. I won't say what was in the glove compartment or in the trunk but I will tell you I am a retired police officer of 29 years. There was nothing in plain view. There is currently no way the alarm system can be disabled on this V or other cars like it without the alarm going off for at least 15 seconds. If you try any other action without the key fob, the on board computer will then shut down the system and the car will have to be towed to the dealer for repair. I spoke to a friend of mine in Auto-Theft about 1 hour ago who confirmed this.

RWFJR
08-12-09, 03:53 PM
Man. I know what that feels like. Not to take away from your story, but in 1999, I had a Range Rover 4.6 HSE that got violated. They emptied it out (2 tv's in the headrest, one in the dash, ps2, subwoofer box etc.. ), and stole my 22" wheels. Sat the truck down on the concrete with the exception of one side which was on the jack. I didn't even wanna deal with the need to replace any of that, so I had a tow truck pick it up and take it to the junkyard.

Now that really sucks!!!

4gear70
08-12-09, 04:51 PM
There is currently no way the alarm system can be disabled on this V or other cars like it without the alarm going off for at least 15 seconds. If you try any other action without the key fob, the on board computer will then shut down the system and the car will have to be towed to the dealer for repair. I spoke to a friend of mine in Auto-Theft about 1 hour ago who confirmed this.

I'm sorry to hear about the 'violation'. :(

Are you absolutely certain that you cannot dissable the built in alarm any other way? I've tried using the KEY (the one inside the fob) in the door handle with the rest of the fob in a distant location (over 100 ft away in a room in the house) and it will dissable the alarm and you can open the door. This is contrary to what the manual states.
In fact, my '05 V was violated a couple years ago by someone who knew what they were doing... they drilled through the plastic door handle and popped my door lock up and that dissabled the factory alarm (ie. it was as if they had used the key to unlock the door). Once inside the vehicle, they then tried to break my steering lock and push the car onto a flat deck. They failed to break the steering lock and left the car. Over $1500 in parts for new steering lock/ignition and column cover.

neuronbob
08-12-09, 05:57 PM
I am so upset to hear about this violation. I hope your baby is fixed quickly. Given you are a retired police officer, it is probably a good thing the punks were not around your car when you got there.

I am glad to hear the security system did its job...scaring away amateur punks. I'm also glad I keep mine in the garage (after negotiations with the wife).

I also +1 your observation that the punks were amateurs. If a pro wants your car, it's gone and there's no alarm system that will prevent it from being shipped illegally to wherever stolen high-end cars end up.

4gear, I think the situation you describe occurs because the transponder is located in the key itself. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't admit being all-knowledgeable of our security system. :)

Luna.
08-12-09, 06:07 PM
SO f-ing annoying...

Very sorry to hear about that; I know that I would be equally pi$$ed/frustrated.

My standard answer, "You won't have to prosecute if I can have 5 minutes with him/her/or them first"!:lildevil:

Pfft...and I'll watch your back while you have those 5 minutes!

CIWS
08-12-09, 06:12 PM
That really sucks man, sorry to see that happen to your vehicle.

backup
08-12-09, 08:17 PM
On the C4 Corvette thieves figured out that you could disable the alarm if you drilled a hole through the fiberglass front quarter panel into the battery, and drained the battery fluid. No juice, no alarm. Given the location of the battery in the V, I wonder if this could also be done? I sure hope not. I recall something about GM adding a metal plate around the battery in the C4 to help protect against such type of theft.

4gear70
08-12-09, 10:51 PM
If a pro wants your car, it's gone and there's no alarm system that will prevent it from being shipped illegally to wherever stolen high-end cars end up.

Agree 100%! All alarm systems can be bypassed by a professional and Tow trucks, flatbeds and trailers are used many times.

4gear, I think the situation you describe occurs because the transponder is located in the key itself. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't admit being all-knowledgeable of our security system. :)

No, the transponder is not in the key itself, it's in the fob portion where the battery is held. Just out of curiosity, you should try it and see if it doesn't do the same thing. If I have the window down and arm the car (and keep the Fob at a distance (say >50 ft in the house) and open the door with the inner handle, the alarm will sound as it should. However, if I try arming the car and then unlocking and opening the door with the KEY only (Fob is well away in the house), then this will dissable the alarm. In fact, if I try and turn the 'starter key' on the column of the car at this point it will say 'Electronic Key not detected'.

Gary Wells
08-13-09, 11:23 AM
RWFJR:
So sorry to hear about this. It is very unfortunate that we have to deal with people of lesser ethical outlooks than ourselves. If I put myself in your place, I can only imagine how painful this is. Luckily, it is something that can be fixed with money, and probably not leave a scar on the car. At least it ws not stolen and / or screwed up seriously.

jonesaut
08-14-09, 09:27 AM
Sorry this happen. Too bad someone did not noticed this incident.

:yup::yup:

RWFJR
08-14-09, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys...Dimmitt Cadi just called. The part is in from Michigan and will be fixed Monday morning. Have a happy V weekend all.

neuronbob
08-14-09, 04:17 PM
No, the transponder is not in the key itself, it's in the fob portion where the battery is held. Just out of curiosity, you should try it and see if it doesn't do the same thing. If I have the window down and arm the car (and keep the Fob at a distance (say >50 ft in the house) and open the door with the inner handle, the alarm will sound as it should. However, if I try arming the car and then unlocking and opening the door with the KEY only (Fob is well away in the house), then this will dissable the alarm. In fact, if I try and turn the 'starter key' on the column of the car at this point it will say 'Electronic Key not detected'.

I stand corrected. I come from Honda-land, where the transponder is in the key itself. I thought it to be the same as it's the best way to explain what you described. I will experiment with what you are saying as I'm off over the weekend.

wfo
08-14-09, 09:35 PM
When you're done...I'd like a crack at them too. To the V, a very speedy recovery and get well fast.

TAGZO
08-15-09, 06:25 AM
sorry man! that really sucks! but the good thing is, that they did not take anything out of the car!

RWFJR
08-17-09, 03:10 PM
Took the V2 to Dimmitt today. Fixed it like new. The estimator over estimated the cost of the repair which then covered my deductible. Life is again good. End of story. Headed to the NC mountains. Have a Happy V Week everyone.