: Possibly looking at 06 V8 AWD

turnne
08-12-09, 09:21 AM
I am changing the car(s) out and in the next 90 days I am going from 2 cars to one. BMW is currently for sale and the STS will soon be. I am going down to one car and that car has to suit me for work purposes which means snow driving
Now the current 02 STS drives well in the snow..but it now has 113K miles
So I have started to look at some 05 and 06 STS V8AWD models with 30-45K. Some in warranty , some shortly out of. I have also test driven a couple 05, 06 Acura RL's
The used car prices are about the same for the two...interestingly enough the Caddy's original sticker was about 15K more than the Acura's was(49K vs 64K)
The caddy might be a bit larger inside and have a little more luxury,is a little more quiet and has a V8
The Acura is more techie, handles a little better, shifts better..and has a V6..in terms of straightline speed they seem about the same though

Now..from what I read..the STS could be quite a challenge...from what I can seehere the repairs go from outrageous to pesky
From what I read on the RL...change the gas and oil and you are good to go..I can't find any negative issues( repair wise) on the car at all...omline that is...and the local dealers are telling me they are bulletproof
Another factor is when I look at extended warranty prices...the Caddy is much higher...even though the cost to repiar similiar components is about the same
As with the current 02 STS I have with 113K..my expectation is that in 3 years and 120K miles the Caddy won't be worth much..( got a quote of $4500 for the value of the current STS when I was trying to decide to fix something recently

As I read what I typed here...I guess I am answering my own question....BUY THE ACURA..lol

Anyone here driven both?..or better yet..owned both?

And I am not completely against doing any repairs...I bought my current BMW knowing it wouild not be as reliable as a Lexus...but to its credit it had held resale value
I just don't want to be in a situation where I am repairing something that needs frequent attention, has high repair costs and loses value incredible fast

with the Caddy though...especially some loaded 05 V8's AWD models I have seen selling for 16K with 60K miles...thats a lot of technology for that purchase price

thoughts?

Warren

turnerbend
08-12-09, 10:13 AM
Buy the acura...........

K STS
08-12-09, 10:41 AM
buy the sts.......

TulsaVic
08-12-09, 12:38 PM
Buy--or at least look at--a DTS Performance. You have the traction of FWD. More interior and trunk room of either of the other two. V8. Unfortunately a 4-speed tranny but it's pretty bulletproof. And the Magnetic Ride Control takes out the old Caddy wallowing on the highway (ride control is similar to my previous 300C without the harshness). It would probably sell at a lower price than the others too. But it is the old fuddy-duddy's Caddy...if you can live with that....

turnne
08-12-09, 02:48 PM
Buy--or at least look at--a DTS Performance. You have the traction of FWD. More interior and trunk room of either of the other two. V8. Unfortunately a 4-speed tranny but it's pretty bulletproof. And the Magnetic Ride Control takes out the old Caddy wallowing on the highway (ride control is similar to my previous 300C without the harshness). It would probably sell at a lower price than the others too. But it is the old fuddy-duddy's Caddy...if you can live with that....

I did look at that one...but ruled it out early on for the very reason in your last sentence
Plus...and let me say I am not trying to offend anyone here by stating this..
Why is it that 40%, or so, of the buyers of the DTS like a gold package and Faux convertible top?
Not a classy look to me at all...its like a bad vegas nightmare

anyway..I noticed that the opinion was split between the the Acura and the STS...but neither of you gave a reason

..and please don't give me some political GM loyalist reason....and I know this is a caddy forum and all that....but I am not looking for any emotional replies

I am interested in verifiable facts, statistics, equipment level differences and numbers( market value, repair costs and incidences) for the most part
This is not something I am looking to marry or be buried in..just something I will enjoy 2-3 years and move on to something else

Warren

K STS
08-12-09, 03:11 PM
The STS will be more enjoyable hands down.

You came to the Cadillac forum to ask if you should buy an acura. What did they say on the acura forms about buying a sts?

EChas3
08-12-09, 03:18 PM
I like all the toys. I think a gently used STS N* CPO is the better value. If driving it doesn't make you want to keep driving, buy the Honda.

turnne
08-12-09, 03:20 PM
The STS will be more enjoyable hands down.

You came to the Cadillac forum to ask if you should buy an acura. What did they say on the acura forms about buying a sts?

I actually didn't post this one the Acura forum. I came here first because I own a Caddy
I guess I could post it on the BMW forum too though..lol....though with a BMW branded car not being one of the ones in question not sure what good that would do

Warren

turnne
08-12-09, 03:24 PM
I like all the toys. I think a gently used STS N* CPO is the better value. If driving it doesn't make you want to keep driving, buy the Honda.

tell me what you mean by a better value...they are both about the same price?
and I have every reason to believe two things
1. After being 6-7 years and having 130K miles the Acura will be worth more
I am basing this one what the older STS's are selling for vs the older Acuras...and granted in 3 more years things could change..I understand thats a bit of a chance
2. I have every reason to believe the Acura will be more reliable....so I am not sure I need worry much about repair costs

so what do you mean value?
And no..I don't think bullet proof reliability is the end all....I bought the BMW knowing it was not going to have the reliability of a Lexus...but I didn't have the end of ownership value question on the BMW. I did my homework at the time and thought the car would hold its value and it has

As for enjoyment of the ride...to me anyway...the BMW wins the driving experience hands down
So if that alone was my motivation I would not have asked the "which car" question

I have already set my expectation to drive something that does not handle as tightly...again..like I said before the next car is going to be a work and personal car( and handle well in the snow)....not one of each like I own now

oh..and one more thing I need to add...I realize there are both BMW x drives and Mercedes 4 matic sedans available....those are both too much $$ for the year and mileage car I am looking for. My budget, for this purchase, is actually less than I spent for the BMW I own now in 2004

Warren

EChas3
08-13-09, 01:43 PM
The reason I say a CPO STS is the better value is that I think it is much more comfortable and has more toys than a RL. It's bigger & I think it performs better. I hate I-Drive and wouldn't own a BMW for that reason. I will admit my opinion is biased by the Acura's I drove (and rode in) when I was looking.

A CPO gives a buyer new-car-like warranty. A three-year-old STS 1SG loaded with every option can be had for a third of list whereas Acura's cost more for less features in this market.

If you're planning on driving it 100,000 miles from the time you buy, I might change my advice. Would you be trading in three years, anyway?

Bottom line - I think everyone should love their car. If the car you love costs too much, use it as a goal and strive for it. For years I couldn't find a car to fall in love with. But I love my STS!

If you don't love either one, keep looking until you do fall in love. It is almost always cheaper to fix the car you have than to trade with the expectation of another trade in the near future.

KARL DAHLEN
08-13-09, 02:52 PM
The reason I say a CPO STS is the better value is that I think it is much more comfortable and has more toys than a RL. It's bigger & I think it performs better. I hate I-Drive and wouldn't own a BMW for that reason. I will admit my opinion is biased by the Acura's I drove (and rode in) when I was looking.

A CPO gives a buyer new-car-like warranty. A three-year-old STS 1SG loaded with every option can be had for a third of list whereas Acura's cost more for less features in this market.

If you're planning on driving it 100,000 miles from the time you buy, I might change my advice. Would you be trading in three years, anyway?

Bottom line - I think everyone should love their car. If the car you love costs too much, use it as a goal and strive for it. For years I couldn't find a car to fall in love with. But I love my STS!

If you don't love either one, keep looking until you do fall in love. It is almost always cheaper to fix the car you have than to trade with the expectation of another trade in the near future.

Well put EChas3. Those are exactly my sentiments. Life is to short to worry about the future. You need to love your ride now.