: How to add power antenna switch?

Bro-Ham
08-12-09, 05:53 AM
1979 was the first year there was no dash switch to lower or raise the power antenna. Since I'm listening to my FM modulated MP3 player I see no reason to have my power antenna (which works!) up in the air picking up dirt as I drive along. Is there an easy way to hook up a switch so I can keep the antenna safe and sound in its hole until I decide for it to extend?

jayoldschool
08-12-09, 09:16 AM
Super easy! I did this on my SS. Looks cleaner when the antenna is down when I listen to the ipod.

Take off the dash trim. Remove the radio. Antenna lead is always pink on aftermarket radios, and should be pink in your harness (confirm this before cutting, please!). Cut the wire, and splice in wiring to a SPST switch. I hid mine in the coin holder. On a Cadillac, I would probably put it up under where the ashtray pulls out. I used a Dremel tool to make the opening for the switch. When you want the antenna down, turn the switch off. When you want it up, turn it on. Simple, no?
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/antennaswitch.jpg

Bro-Ham
08-12-09, 10:39 AM
Jay - thanks!!! I appreciate the diagram and instructions and I look forward to getting this done! I think my car looks better without the clunky antenna up in the air. OK, a couple of questions: so what's an SPST switch? I have the factory radio - do you think my antenna wire will still be pink? I might just send the radio out to have the auxilliary jack put in so I won't have to FM modulate my music which is a hassle on trips when the radio stations change. Again, thank you! :)

jayoldschool
08-12-09, 10:54 AM
SPST: single pole, single throw (fancy way of saying it only takes one wire, and only switches on/off)

I used one like this that doesn't light up:

http://www.allproducts.com/ee/lightcountry/02-rocker_switch.jpg

The one on the left. See how it has only two connections on the bottom? That means it is a single pole switch. The other two are still single pole, but they have an additional terminal to power the light feature of the switch. This looks good in my SS, because it has a black and gray 90s interior. Check Radio Shack or Home Depot to find something more "Cadillac"...

I just drill a small hole, then use the dremel to open it up to the shape of the switch, then it clicks in place on the little tabs.

Bro-Ham
08-12-09, 11:52 AM
THANKS A MILLION!!!!! :) :) :) :) P.S. do you think my factory radio antenna wire will be pink? Thx! :) DAve

jayoldschool
08-12-09, 12:14 PM
Dave, I checked the wiring colors on the12volt.com (for stereo/alarm installers) and it list the color as pink. Should be the right one. When you pull the radio out, leave the wiring connected. If there is a pink wire, cut that. If the antenna stops working, you found the right wire. If not, reconnect, and get back to me ;)

Jason.

Bro-Ham
08-12-09, 12:31 PM
gotcha - - thanks again! :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
08-12-09, 01:54 PM
I too did this on one of my cars, my '88 FWD Fleetwood. The wire was pink and it took me about 10 minutes to do. It actually took me longer to Dremel out the hole for the switch than it did to alter the wiring.

However, mine was a little different. I had no tape player so I wired in an FM modulator that was hidden in the dash. It worked fantastically. Throw the switch to the right and the antenna would go up and you had radio. Throw the switch to the left and the FM modulator came on so I could play my mp3 player. If the switch was in the middle, neither worked. I had it all wired up so nothing would work if the radio or car were turned off.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1988%20Fleetwood/IMG_0201.jpg

Bro-Ham
08-12-09, 05:32 PM
I love that real wood in your old '88!!!!! Your system seems quite cool although that may be a bit beyond my capabilities. :) Dave

Bro-Ham
08-15-09, 09:14 PM
Okee Dokee - - thanks to the help of Jay and everyone I was able to pretty painlessly get the power antenna switch put in today and it works like a charm! :) Note the additional power outlet which I had installed a few months ago. Again, I appreciate all the help very, very much!!!!!!!!!!!

Bro-Ham
08-16-09, 02:01 PM
Yikes! I have a bit of a problem with my antenna switch installation. My normally static free radio stations now come in with static when the antenna us up and they seem to come in without static when the antenna is down!?!?!? Isn't that odd?? What can I do to fix this?? :) Thanks! Dave

bmwnick
08-18-09, 10:26 AM
1979 was the first year there was no dash switch to lower or raise the power antenna. Since I'm listening to my FM modulated MP3 player I see no reason to have my power antenna (which works!) up in the air picking up dirt as I drive along. Is there an easy way to hook up a switch so I can keep the antenna safe and sound in its hole until I decide for it to extend?

My power antenna just started sticking even after a WD-40 bath. Since I have an automated car wash at my office, it's only a matter of time before I drive through the car wash and snap my power antenna by forgetting to turn off the radio.
I found a GREAT power antenna bypass on Ebay for $29. Now I disconnected the power antenna in the down position and I connected the bypass antenna and adhered it right to the inside of the rear quarter next to the existing stock antenna. Install was about 5 minutes. I only use FM for my RF Sirius unit anyway and it works great.

Bro-Ham
08-18-09, 10:46 AM
Power antennas are classic old school. Maybe more so on my 1979 than your newer car Nick. Hey, I always found that wd40 acted like a magnet collecting every dust speck and caused more problems than simply keeping the antenna perfectly clean. I've used a jewelry polishing cloth to keep it sleek and clean and even today my good ol antenna still rolls up and down as it should which is why I wanted the switch to keep it in its hole so it will be hopefully usable for another great number of years. All part of the fun. :) Dave

jayoldschool
08-18-09, 11:43 AM
Yep, the FSM specifically states to not lubricate the antenna mast. I know that WD 40 is more of a penetrant than a lubricant, but I would just wipe it down with a rag.

bmwnick
08-18-09, 12:53 PM
Power antennas are classic old school. Maybe more so on my 1979 than your newer car Nick. Hey, I always found that wd40 acted like a magnet collecting every dust speck and caused more problems than simply keeping the antenna perfectly clean. I've used a jewelry polishing cloth to keep it sleek and clean and even today my good ol antenna still rolls up and down as it should which is why I wanted the switch to keep it in its hole so it will be hopefully usable for another great number of years. All part of the fun. :) Dave

I see your point but I KNOW that I was just destined to snap that antenna going through my car wash so I'm sticking with the hidden antenna. I can always just plug the old one in again if I'm feeling "nostalgic". The power antenna was actually working fine as I was installing the hidden one so I'll just let it rest.

Bro-Ham
08-18-09, 01:06 PM
Don't feel bad at all Nick. In fact, I think I'd like to have a hidden antenna too! I just want the ammo in the cannon so I can roll up my antenna when I feel like going back to the seventieeeees. :)

bmwnick
08-18-09, 01:13 PM
Don't feel bad at all Nick. In fact, I think I'd like to have a hidden antenna too! I just want the ammo in the cannon so I can roll up my antenna when I feel like going back to the seventieeeees. :)

Cool.....Just don't forget your Leisure Suit and to splash on a little BRUT.....................by Faberge'

Bro-Ham
08-18-09, 01:29 PM
Nick, You're a nut - - I like that! I'm not a leisure suit kind of guy - - I'm a tiki lounge type. I either wear a roomy swim suit with a terry cloth zip up poolside jacket otherwise a tux for after six cocktails. Why screw around?!? A yellow Cadillac can roll with whatever the occasion may dictate. :)

bmwnick
08-18-09, 02:32 PM
Nick, You're a nut - - I like that! I'm not a leisure suit kind of guy - - I'm a tiki lounge type. I either wear a roomy swim suit with a terry cloth zip up poolside jacket otherwise a tux for after six cocktails. Why screw around?!? A yellow Cadillac can roll with whatever the occasion may dictate. :)

My wife keeps threatening to burn all of my big, bright hawaiian shirts but that polyester don't shrink, stretch, fade or IGNITE very easily.

I'm in a suit and tie all week, all year long and summer is only 3 months here so I look VERY forward to my summer weekends in a big, loose shirt and a bathing suit. The wife says that that look is only for old, fat guys. So I tell her that I'm just getting ready for when I decide to "let myself go"....of course THAT option is NOT available for the ladies...lol

Bro-Ham
08-18-09, 03:52 PM
You're a car dealer. If you have enough loose shirts and swim suits to spare you're probably in a position for a trade-in. :)

bmwnick
08-18-09, 04:43 PM
You're a car dealer. If you have enough loose shirts and swim suits to spare you're probably in a position for a trade-in. :)

maybe..........lol