: Trip notes

rocketeer
08-12-09, 12:19 AM
Well I just recovered from my 1500 mile roundtrip from MD to Canada and wanted to share a few observations.
I was able to maintain a 70.2 mph average for the trip up.This involved several hours on 81N and Ontario 401 at 85-90 while still scoring right at 19.8 mpg for the whole segment. This was totally effortless cruising and felt like the "zone" that required the least effort.
The trip back on Quebec 40 and 15 and 87S thru NY was a little slower at 68 mph average despite a short stretch at 130 and several miles at 110. GF was incredulous about the speed. Absolutely no drama, very little increase in noise levels, just totally relaxed cruising. MPG was down to 18.8 for the return probably due in part to construction near Albany and Hazelton PA.
One of my favorite parts of the trip is dispensing with the left lane bandits; quick downshift to 4th, to the floor and seemingly instantly 100 to get by. Acceleration from 65 or so to 100 is simply addictive!!
Worst part of trip was getting rained on in Quebec, first time for the car. With the weather they have experienced I half expected it, still didnt like it tho.
After 13 hours with my but in the seat on the return I can only say the Recaros are awesome. Not once was I sore and the adjustments available made it quite comfortable. As far as I'm concerned an option not to be passed up!
As an aside, the car was stared at every where I went, simply amazing. A very rare car for that part of the world I guess.
Can't wait for the next trip!

Short-Throw
08-12-09, 12:23 AM
Thanks for reporting.

I was able to achieve such mileage as well but at much lower speeds. Did you check the gas mileage by filling your tank up or relying on the DIC info?

Mike

nynd
08-12-09, 07:34 AM
LOL - Should have told me your were passing through my neck of the words... I'm more in the city but do use 81N every now and then.... It does get stares... I'm noticing that slowly, those who know what it is, stare, those who don't.. don't

Nutz
08-12-09, 08:29 AM
One of my favorite parts of the trip is dispensing with the left lane bandits; quick downshift to 4th, to the floor and seemingly instantly 100 to get by. Acceleration from 65 or so to 100 is simply addictive!!
Also one of my favorite features of owning a CTS-V.

OldRoadDawg
08-12-09, 09:42 AM
quick downshift to 4th, to the floor and seemingly instantly 100 to get by.
That made me chuckle.
Monday morning I picked up my wife from Reagan in DC and was returning home to PA. I bought the the V while she was gone, so this was the first time she had been in it.

She asked if I had been "experimenting" with it, meaning had I been up in the triple digits.
I tell her no, that I've been cooling it until I got the first 1500 miles on it. I check the mileage and I've got just over 1600, so I flick down to 4th, crack the throttle for a few brief secs and say to her "there's a 100".

Of course, at that very moment, we pass one of Maryland's finest hunkered down in the center divider of I70 west of Hagerstown working radar for e/b traffic. We were going w/b. He remained stationary and I went back to "cooling it" for the remainder of the trip home.

Thanks for reporting.

I was able to achieve such mileage as well but at much lower speeds. Did you check the gas mileage by filling your tank up or relying on the DIC info?

Mike
I've averaged a tick over 20 mpg for those first 1600 miles at granny speeds. I've saved all my gas receipts so far, so that number is based on the actual gas used.

neuronbob
08-12-09, 07:51 PM
What awesome gas mileage. Now that I've got just about 4300 miles on mine, I am hoping for similar mileage for our upcoming Labor Day jaunt to DC.

rocketeer
08-12-09, 08:36 PM
I went with the DIC for mileage. I didn't reset after every fillup but kept it going for an overall mpg, travel time, and avge speed for each segment.

I also wanted to mention the spray on bra that I used. This is the Griot's Garage product. They recommend masking and taping to get a sharp edge which supposedly makes it easier to take off. I masked around the headlights but just used a piece of cardboard to prevent overspray, pretty easy to control. Car looks like crap once it's coated but when I got to Canada I just peeled the (I think) rubber right off. Key is putting it on thick enough,it seems the thicker it is the easier to peel off in one piece. Where it was too thin I had to rub it off but it was pretty easy. All the bugs and crap were wrapped up in the spray on bra, definitely worth the effort on this kind of trip if you dont mind what it looks like. Of course didnt have time to take photo-next time.