: Does anyone change their own oil?

nok
08-12-09, 12:20 AM
I've done every oil change on every car (and bike) I've ever owned. I'd like to keep it up on my STS-V. Anyone got any tips for the traditionalist?

ewill3rd
08-12-09, 09:19 AM
What kind of tips?
Pretty straightforward.
If you done one on a bike then this will be a cake walk.

Florian
08-12-09, 12:04 PM
Rhino ramps, and a 10qt capacity oil catch....other than that, its a no-brainer.

F

Florian
08-12-09, 12:04 PM
Hi, Bill!

F

ewill3rd
08-12-09, 12:52 PM
Wazzup??? :D

inurok
08-12-09, 02:51 PM
I don't change my oil right now because I have 3 years free maintainence but I plan to change mine after that expires.

MacMuse
08-12-09, 03:33 PM
Rhino ramps, ...

So I presume that cool low front end clears the ramps OK, or do you need to get a particular low angle set of ramps?

I haven't changed oil in 20 years, but at $70+ for a dealer or whatever to do it... Maybe I need to acquire a new hobby and start doing it myself.

CIWS
08-12-09, 03:51 PM
Currently I've been purchasing the oil myself and then giving that to the dealership and paying them to change it. It saves about 20.00 and they record the time/mileage of the oil being changed in the car's history.

ewill3rd
08-12-09, 04:06 PM
I change everybody's oil... :lol:
With fully synthetic and the price of oil these days it is expensive but with me you got a "World Class Certified Tech" looking at your car ;).
We gotta pay for the lights, the lift... the hot tub, the satellite.. oops wait!
:D

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-12-09, 05:08 PM
So I presume that cool low front end clears the ramps OK, or do you need to get a particular low angle set of ramps?

I haven't changed oil in 20 years, but at $70+ for a dealer or whatever to do it... Maybe I need to acquire a new hobby and start doing it myself.$70?? try $100+ with 8 quarts of synth at the dealer. If I remember correctly my last one was $117 or $125 a oil change including filter.

CIWS
08-12-09, 06:28 PM
Yeah it's right around 100.00 at the dealership if the provide all and do it.

SVT Gator
08-12-09, 06:59 PM
I always change my own oil. It may not be the least expensive alternative but it gives me the peace of mind of knowing that it was done correctly. It also gives me good reason to crawl under the car at least twice a year and have a look around.

The V is a pretty straightforward oil change but you definitely need a large capacity drain pan, or plan to put the plug in midway and drain the pan at least once. Also, be sure to use the exact AC Delco oil filter (PF26) that the owner's manual calls for to avoid potential warranty issues down the road...

Other than that, Happy Wrenching!

silverws6ta
08-12-09, 07:59 PM
I typically change my own oil; Then started taking all my GM cars to my Caddy dealer (They now service all four for us -- plus my two Pontiac's :) But I buy 3-6 filters online at a time for all my vehicles; and Mobil 1 - 5 quart jugs at Wal-Mart and they Service Manager either charges me about $7 bucks (or he tells me to go in the back and tip the Caddy tech :)

I come out for about ~50 bucks after buying my own oil and filter -- Wal-Mart does fluctuate price on that jug quite variably. But with getting a fluid top off, lube, etc for that price.. its a no brainer for me -- and I don't have to carry the used oil to the recycle center (now that I live on 2 acres and not 62 like I did at my parents .. No comment on that before)

ewill3rd
08-13-09, 09:35 AM
Oh yeah be sure to use the AC Delco oil filter. You can get them anywhere but don't try to "save money" on an off brand filter.

Some shops won't let you bring in your own supplies, some will. It never hurts to ask.

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-14-09, 08:46 AM
As a business owner I understand the costs of doing business. I just go the the dealer and let them use their stuff and pay them to do it. Keeps them around/in business for when I really need that dealer to be there.

Save what $50 every 3k. Why? I waste more money in gas and rubber in 3k.

Plus if they F it up they have to fix it. I F it up I have to fix it.