: Help! Who's making an 09 lowering kit for the 09 V?

wfo
08-11-09, 05:04 PM
Hey ya'll.

Just got off the phone with the suspension Gurus at Eibach. They told me, they do not currently have a specific spring kit for lowering the 09 CTS-V.

They had it on the table at one time but took it off as they didn't think there was the demand.

Huh? No demand? Don't get me wrong here. This is a great car. But they look like they're wearing flood pants..hiked up in the rear like a pickup truck...no demand?

I'm thinking there's got to be some car crazy people like myself who would love for this car to have a level out look and maybe a bit lower..Nothing crazy mind you, but an inch lower and level.

It's no wonder those of you who have tried an Eibach spring product on this particular 09 V car took them off, indicating squeaks and such. They just weren't made for the car in the first place.

So...Anyone out there in customizing land know who is doing soemthing for the V and isn't hacking away butchering this already great car? No compromises, only a quality kit. If there is such a thing for an 09 CTS-V.

It may very well be that we have to live with the jacked up ass like it is.

wfo
08-11-09, 06:07 PM
Based on the hits on this thread already..I know there is demand. Somethings up that makes this particular car a challenge to lower. I couldn't imagine any top notch suspension company walking away from a revenue generating potential quality kit, that works, if it were a do-able project. The fact that Eibach isn't pursuing a lowering kit for the 09 CTS-V makes me wonder, what's up?

Everlast13
08-11-09, 06:11 PM
In the last thread about this D3 stated they were in the middle of figuring out how to lower the vehicle without messing with the magnetic ride, he said in a couple of weeks they should have a solution. You probably already read that thread, but they are the only one I've heard trying to put together a kit.
Shawn

Gary Wells
08-11-09, 06:15 PM
I am going to be stopping up to see James at D3 next week and I will ask him.

musclesbmf
08-11-09, 09:41 PM
Sorry bud, but I was the forst to install them and they are still on the car and I still love them. When they are installed in the right direction (meaning the end of the spring is pointing the same way the stock spring was), there are no noises. I did it as a $230.00 gamble and it paid off for me. Sits great and drives great. Lower than advertised drop because our motors are heavier. I'm very pleased.
So, whoever took theirs off, I'm sorry they didn't like them but different strokes for different folks.

Mark

wfo
08-12-09, 09:00 AM
No apologies. Eibach goes on record as not having a kit for the new generation CTS-V's. That's great you are experiencing some sort of success with a prodct not designed for this model. I tend not to operate like that as repairs in the future can be mighty hefty.

asabase
08-12-09, 09:18 AM
Do you guys ever have problems with the lip spoiler hitting curbs/dips? My neighbor has to back his vette in or it will tear his right off.

Short-Throw
08-12-09, 09:26 AM
So, whoever took theirs off, I'm sorry they didn't like them but different strokes for different folks.

Mark

I'm sure it looks great.

Question:

You have now changed the suspension geometry.

I don't see any mention of employing new spindles/uprights or detail to bump steer that you have now introduced to your car?

Mike

musclesbmf
08-12-09, 10:09 AM
I'm sure it looks great.

Question:

You have now changed the suspension geometry.

I don't see any mention of employing new spindles/uprights or detail to bump steer that you have now introduced to your car?

Mike

Any time you lower a car, these things change. I got it aligned and the car drives great. I slammed my Z06 on the bolts after cutting the bushings off and it drove great as well.
The only issue I plan on encountering (but I prob wont have car long enough to worry about this) is premature shock/strut wear.

Mark

Dr. Design
08-12-09, 12:54 PM
Correct, this is the exact reason we are developing specific lowering springs for the 09 CTSV. The spring rates and even ride heights are much different. The 09 CTSV has very good balance from the factory and you dont want to compromise that with incorrect springs.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

No apologies. Eibach goes on record as not having a kit for the new generation CTS-V's. That's great you are experiencing some sort of success with a prodct not designed for this model. I tend not to operate like that as repairs in the future can be mighty hefty.

wfo
08-12-09, 01:14 PM
Any time you lower a car, these things change. I got it aligned and the car drives great. I slammed my Z06 on the bolts after cutting the bushings off and it drove great as well.
The only issue I plan on encountering (but I prob wont have car long enough to worry about this) is premature shock/strut wear.

Mark

Bingo...that's what I'm talking about. Premature shock strut wear. The suspension can't do its part as it was designed.

What I'm hoping for, is, a company that does it's due diligence and spends time R and D'ing the 09 CTS-V lowering kit, before going to market.

I too came from an 08 Z06. I decided early on to install the PFADT coilover system. I felt as others in the know, i.e. reputable Tuners, that it would be the way to get rid of that lazy touring steering-wheel slop, add rigidity to the ride which enhance handling in aggressive driving situations and correctly lower the car where you like it without suspension compromise. The Vettes as you know are low to begin with, but still sit high for a sport car.

On the other hand. Lowering as you say you did, by shaving, cutting the bushings or bolts is, a common practice among the Vette crowd. Lowering bolt kits have been sold for years just for the purpose of lowering. It's cheap way to get the car lower, but this technique limits full shock range of motion. Meaning it prevents the suspension from fulling loading (compressing) and recoiling (extension) as it was designed.

musclesbmf
08-12-09, 01:23 PM
totally agree with what you are saying.
There are those that just want the look (ME), and others that want look and proper handling. I'll compromise a little on the handling to get the look. but like I said, nothing else was available and I wasn't going to ride around in a 4x4, so I took a small gamble and it paid off for me.

Now, if D3 comes out with a kit that AGRESSIVELY (i.e. 1.5+ inches) lowers the car and the rates are specific for the V, I'm all in. Just did what I did to get by with the looks I was after.

Mark

chopmeat
08-12-09, 01:53 PM
I ended up just cutting the stock springs just a little and am happy.
The Eibach's were a huge mistake and or not the right one's for our car.
The car kept sinking lower and lower and the squeeking was unreal.
I wouldn't have installed them if not for other members saying they were okay.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/knihc_photo/stockcut2.jpg

ItsJustMyCaddy
08-12-09, 07:10 PM
I ended up just cutting the stock springs just a little and am happy.
The Eibach's were a huge mistake and or not the right one's for our car.
The car kept sinking lower and lower and the squeeking was unreal.
I wouldn't have installed them if not for other members saying they were okay.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/knihc_photo/stockcut2.jpg

Perfect stance, especially with the stock rims. Your car looks exactly how I would want mine (except I want white)!!! Congratulations.

PsychoV
08-13-09, 05:53 PM
How much did you cut the springs? You nailed it. Looks great.

Razorecko
08-17-09, 12:22 PM
Hey Chopmeat - i thought those pics where from when you had the eibach's on ?

Dr. Design
08-19-09, 06:10 PM
Hello Mark,
Well as mentioned we are working on it. I dont know that it will be that agressive but, it will certainly be worth doing.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Now, if D3 comes out with a kit that AGRESSIVELY (i.e. 1.5+ inches) lowers the car and the rates are specific for the V, I'm all in. Just did what I did to get by with the looks I was after.

Mark

Gary Wells
08-19-09, 07:01 PM
I would like to maybe lower the rear of my '09 CTS-V about 1" at the rear primarily to level it out somewhat. Probably nothing at the front. I would like a subtle leveling off only.

Dr. Design
08-19-09, 07:42 PM
Hello,
We will have to take a look at that and see how it would work. Mainly due to the fact that the rear aftermarket springs will be rated higher than the factory springs. This means the front will be softer than the rear of the vehicle if you just lower the rear. I will talk with one of the spring engineers to see what type of handling characteristics one might notice with a combination like that.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I would like to maybe lower the rear of my '09 CTS-V about 1" at the rear primarily to level it out somewhat. Probably nothing at the front. I would like a subtle leveling off only.

Razorecko
08-20-09, 10:31 AM
you need the full set of springs. If you only do a drop on the rear you will completely throw off not only the balance of the vehicle during cornering but will really mess up launching

chopmeat
08-20-09, 10:54 AM
Hey guys, naw I had the Eibachs on but took them off.
These pics are with my stock springs cut.
I cut them very little, just took the ends off a bit.
It's not as low as the eibachs.
But, it'll stay unless something perfect for ours cars comes along.

Razorecko
08-20-09, 11:27 AM
^ looks good. Our rides only need a very minor drop. Something like 1" Total/settled would be perfect.

wfo
08-20-09, 12:13 PM
This is the kind of conversations that will get the lowering kit Gurus going. (Just can't believe there isn't one out here for this sweet ride.) But then, this is, the first year for this particular car and set up. Since the of V's inception, 04, the suspensions have been different. Now come on Eibach, Bilstein, Koni, PFADT, suspension magicians...get it going for us, with a setup that won't destro the ride quality.

Razorecko
08-20-09, 01:17 PM
^ Road magnet made awesome springs for my old jeep srt8 - unlike the horrid crap that eibach came out with....ugh. I got alot lower with the road magnets than with the eibachs except it was as smooth as stock and didnt bottom out on every bump like the eiba's.

wfo
08-20-09, 05:59 PM
Let us all know something soon, Dr Design.