: Side Mirrors Turning Arrow

D_Lac
08-11-09, 11:18 AM
Why does the Deville get side mirrors with turning arrows and the STS doesn't, I kinda like those mirrors can I add them to my car? BTW I have an STS 2008.

As a side gripe the Deville also has digital climate controls in the rear, another cool feature that the STS doesn't have, why? I though the STS was the flagship Caddy.

K STS
08-11-09, 11:22 AM
STS is also the "Sport Sedan" Caddy, while the DTS is more of a luxury sedan. Turn signal mirrors are not considered "sporty." As for the rear digital climate controls, I have no clue.

next2pool
08-11-09, 12:14 PM
I've driven a few cars with the side arrows in the mirrors and even though they look cool, they are distracting when on (for the driver) . I think the STS approach is just as effective and doesn't flash in your face. One reason that you see a different approach to the lights is that the STS is both exported and manufactured overseas and tries to stick to lighting that is acceptable in different parts of the world. As far as the rear climate controls, that's one of those anomalies that happen when a different group runs the DTS (G-body) vs the STS.

Lifer
08-11-09, 12:22 PM
2006 STS 1SG I have climate controls in the rear seat area. It also includes rear outboard seat heaters. Includes fan and temp controls.

next2pool
08-11-09, 12:30 PM
But it's not a digital readout like the DTS has

EChas3
08-11-09, 12:50 PM
I'm glad I don't have those annoying mirrors.

D_Lac
08-11-09, 01:25 PM
To each his own on the annoyance of the mirrors, but I for one like them. I love the 08 STS, it brought me back to Caddy, because the 05-07 model STS made me leave, but I must admit I think the DTS interior is better, a lot better, but thats where the comparason ends for me.

http://www.automedia.com/2009-New-Car-Buyers-Guide/photos/2009/Cadillac/DTS/Sedan/Interior/5_Drivers_Interior.jpg

http://www.cars-bikes.info/d/2909-2/2008-dts-platinum-003.jpg

DTS

STS --

GM actually planned to use this interior layout but changed their minds ( how the hell could they have done that, Christ what a mistake )

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/02/abopener.jpg (http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/concept-gm-interior-components/#3)

Instead we have this which isn't bad but look what it could have been.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/2008_cadillac_sts/2308603045988376773+ppromo_mt_large/cockpit.jpg

next2pool
08-11-09, 02:18 PM
Agreed--unfortunately that STS redo was only tooled for the China SLS. I was lucky enough to drive one a few months ago. I think the interior and wheel base stretch would have kept the STS somewhat alive here-it all came down to money that a struggling GM didn't have at the time.

WillySTS
08-11-09, 03:56 PM
Why does the Deville get side mirrors with turning arrows and the STS doesn't, I kinda like those mirrors can I add them to my car? BTW I have an STS 2008.

As a side gripe the Deville also has digital climate controls in the rear, another cool feature that the STS doesn't have, why? I though the STS was the flagship Caddy.

I agree with your comment about the rear controls, however, the STS is equipped with repeater lamps on the rear of the front fenders instead of arrow mirrors, I wouldn't think it would be equipped with both. My pickup has the arrow mirrors, it's alright for a big ol' thing like that, but I don't miss them on the car.

EChas3
08-11-09, 05:41 PM
To each their own! No offense intended!

Caroutisine
08-11-09, 07:16 PM
I didn't even know the DTS had them. I have only noticed them on trucks. I wouldn't mind either way. Kind of like the hood mounted blinker indicators on some of the Mopar cars in the 1970's :)

Force-1
08-11-09, 07:37 PM
In most countries outside North America, cars must be equipped with side-mounted turn signal repeaters to make the turn indication visible laterally rather than just to the front and rear of the vehicle.

I believe the STS has the signals on the fenders because it was designed for export to Europe--this is where European cars place the signals. I don't think the DTS was meant for export.

D_Lac
08-12-09, 08:49 AM
To each their own! No offense intended!

Oh I did not take any offense, sorry if I gave off that impression.

Lifer
08-12-09, 12:34 PM
I believe the general slang for mirrors with arrows flashing in them is "Geezer Mirrors." :yup:

amgqmp1
08-12-09, 07:26 PM
I didn't even know the DTS had them. I have only noticed them on trucks. I wouldn't mind either way. Kind of like the hood mounted blinker indicators on some of the Mopar cars in the 1970's :)

Caddy's had those in the 80s. When I was a kid, our '84 Seville had those. I also think my grandfather's '83 Deville had them too. The only thing the hood mounted blink indicators on those old Caddy's did was inform the driver (and passengers if they were bored enough) that their turn signal was on. Weak.

Did the 70s Mopar hood indicators serve a better purpose? :)

K STS
08-13-09, 12:55 PM
I had the hood turn signal notifiers on my 1985 fleetwood brougham.

V-Eight
08-13-09, 05:39 PM
STS is also the "Sport Sedan" Caddy, while the DTS is more of a luxury sedan. Turn signal mirrors are not considered "sporty." As for the rear digital climate controls, I have no clue.

Well said. I'm sure its the same factor, the deVille just has more luxury featues.

inurok
08-14-09, 03:05 AM

Oh how I miss those from my 1978 Chrysler Lebaron. I dont mind not having a display on the rear vent controls. personally I could care less what luxury's my rear passengers have.:lildevil: