: Speaker snap crackle pop.

robb257731
08-11-09, 09:57 AM
This is likely a really dumb question, but I'm not a stereo guy.

My 91 has the original stock radio & speakers. The power antenna does not work, but it's in the up position, so that's good. I'm having an issue with my front left speaker. It snap/crackle/pops like a bowl of rice krispies. It doesn't do it all the time though. Often when I first put the radio on it will be as clear as a bell for a minute or two, then it starts with the crackling. Does the speaker need replacing, or could this be a loose wire or something?

jey
08-13-09, 02:22 PM
Does it do it only on AM/FM or also when the cassette player? If it's only on one and not the other, it may be a problem with the heat unit. If it happens all the time, it could be a speaker or speaker wire.

robb257731
08-14-09, 10:17 AM
It basically happens all the time, although last night it was completely clear for about 10 minutes. It even crackles when I put the fader to the rear speakers....still get the crackling from the front left, even though there's no sound going to it. I was going to replace the radio and speakers, but I don't want to wreck the look of the car. I'm thinking of just doing the speakers, because the radio actually has nice sound. I may look around for an OEM with the CD player.

jey
08-14-09, 12:27 PM
If it's even crackling with the fader on the rear, I think it's the amp, not the speakers. I know what you mean about the look of the car - OEM with the CD player sounds like a good plan.