: 1995 Fleetwood Brougham 112.000 miles

HUF
08-10-09, 10:21 PM
Folks I am in the market for 1994-1996 Fleetwood Brougham and have some questions for you.

Today I test-drove a 1994 Fleetwood Broughham with 112*** miles on the odometer. The car had a few blemishes exterior -wise (door-dents, broken grill, bent antenna), but nothing major. The engine bay was clean and neat.
The bad... On a highway after some 50MPH I could clearly hear some muffled humming noise I could not place... Tires? There was also some light vibration during acceleration and decelleration I never experienced with my 1991 Seville. The car handled well but I really felt as if I were driving a truck! LOL All windows, seats etc, seemed to be fine. I tried onboard diagnostics and here what I had got.
As far as I could understand there were no 00 and 01 codes. There was 126 code for 02 (I guess it is a history 26 -Serial Data Communication error (shorted/open). There were a few 05 codes I cannot decifer... 09, 14, 12... What the hell is that?

My Seville seems to be faster or probably I just did not get used to Fleetwood. Throttle response of my Seville seems to be much better. Again, I might be subjective on that. I remember how uncomfortable I felt when I switched from company 2000 Ford Focus to my 1991 Seville ten years ago...

The wind noise was very noticeable as well.

Again, my main concern is that muffled humming noise. Could it be transmission, dufferential related? All the fluids looked and smelled good to me.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

sven914
08-11-09, 03:57 AM
Wind noise is something that I've heard is something to get used to on the 90's RWD's.

Code 05 is supposed to be the program number (0-255).

The humming noise would be the tires only if it changed with road texture. Other that, and without a better description, I can only say that could be anything in the drive train, from the cooling fans to a bad differential.

Maybe you would have better luck posing your questions in the RWD forum.

HUF
08-11-09, 11:59 AM
Wind noise is something that I've heard is something to get used to on the 90's RWD's.

Code 05 is supposed to be the program number (0-255).

The humming noise would be the tires only if it changed with road texture. Other that, and without a better description, I can only say that could be anything in the drive train, from the cooling fans to a bad differential.

Maybe you would have better luck posing your questions in the RWD forum.

Thanks for the reply. One of the rear tires has been replaced recently. Do you think there might be a connection between the noise and the accident which damaged the tire? Thanks.

VortecCaddy
08-11-09, 01:27 PM
It could be possible that the rear was somehow damaged during the accident. How bad was the accident though. Did the rim have to be replaced? Could have bent an axle, highly unlikely but always possible.

HUF
08-11-09, 10:33 PM
It could be possible that the rear was somehow damaged during the accident. How bad was the accident though. Did the rim have to be replaced? Could have bent an axle, highly unlikely but always possible.

Unfortunately, I did not discuss with him why he replaced the tire.