: AC blowing hot, driver's side only

rob_s
08-10-09, 07:15 PM
Happens on and off during my 30 minute commute from time to time, but is happening more and more frequently. When it starts blowing hot it blows HOT and even if I shut the AC off it still vents the hot air into the footwell. I frankly always thought it was happening on both sides but today I had the boy in the car and his side was still blowing nice and cool.

Is this something simple to fix? If not, any idea what I might be looking at in terms of cost at the dealer? At a non-dealer AC shop?

carshop
08-12-09, 06:29 AM
Happens on and off during my 30 minute commute from time to time, but is happening more and more frequently. When it starts blowing hot it blows HOT and even if I shut the AC off it still vents the hot air into the footwell. I frankly always thought it was happening on both sides but today I had the boy in the car and his side was still blowing nice and cool.

Is this something simple to fix? If not, any idea what I might be looking at in terms of cost at the dealer? At a non-dealer AC shop?

This happens when and if you disconnected the battery, the HVAC control module lost its memory. Now the temperature actuators are out of calibration. Before heading to the dealership, try this: Turn ignition to run, engine off. Turn off everything, the courtesy lamps and the headlights. Do not touch the HVAC controls. Let the hvac module attempt a recalibration. Do not press any buttons or turn the ignition off. Let the vehicle sit that way for about three minutes. If you cannot handle the suspense, go surf the Net for a bit. After a few minutes, w/out pressing any buttons, start your engine. Let the hvac system sit like that for a few minutes. After 5-10 minutes of run time, turn the ignition off, pull key, shut doors, and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

TexasAg98
10-18-10, 11:17 AM
This worked for a couple weeks and now I'm back to square one. Looking to just replace the part, but needing the part number for the actuator to fix the issue with the driver side blowing hot.

My-SS
01-16-12, 08:33 PM
This has been a long ongoing issue with these type system. The GM bulletins do not work. The reprograms do not work, and replacing parts do not work..Here is how I have been fixing the problem. I remove ALL the connectors, remove the terminals from the connectors and squeeze the terminal for a tighter fit. I suggest you do ONE terminal at a time so sa not to misplace the terminal in the
connector.

the cadillac man
01-17-12, 12:50 AM
This happens when and if you disconnected the battery, the HVAC control module lost its memory. Now the temperature actuators are out of calibration. Before heading to the dealership, try this: Turn ignition to run, engine off. Turn off everything, the courtesy lamps and the headlights. Do not touch the HVAC controls. Let the hvac module attempt a recalibration. Do not press any buttons or turn the ignition off. Let the vehicle sit that way for about three minutes. If you cannot handle the suspense, go surf the Net for a bit. After a few minutes, w/out pressing any buttons, start your engine. Let the hvac system sit like that for a few minutes. After 5-10 minutes of run time, turn the ignition off, pull key, shut doors, and let it sit for about 15 minutes.actually it is only 2 mins per step i know as it is the same for the rear air to re calibrate the sensors in the actuators trust me i did this with the rear panel removed just to watch it after i installed a new module for the rear system along with a new actuator and
here it is after you reconnect the battery cable turn the key to on for 2 mins then turn off for 2 mins then start the truck and everything should work.

Trulytex
01-19-12, 03:08 PM
I tried all of the re-setting abd it would be OK for a week or so. The only way to finally fix it for good is to replace the Actuators. I replaced the Mode, Drivers Temp, Pass Temp and Recirc and have never had another problem.

the cadillac man
01-19-12, 11:04 PM
ouch that is expensive i know at 130 bucks a piece at least you don't have to do those for awhile.

Trulytex
01-20-12, 11:04 AM
You probably only have to change the Drivers Temp and the Mode. I found the at Amazon.com for about $95 each. My Recirc was also bad as the Recirc didn't work ony truck. If you really want reliability, that's gonna be the solution.

mnjturner
05-30-12, 11:53 AM
Ok, I am having the same issue with heat blowing on the drives side and cold air on the passenger side. It happens about 40% of the time I am in the vehicle which is 40% too much in Texas. I was told by a dealership its the AC controller? Sounds like from what I am reading it could be the drivers side actuator? Can these things work intermittently? I know Trulytex says he replaced the drivers temp and mode?? What parts are these. want to fix it right the the first time. Thank you in advance for your comments.

cpmet200
05-31-12, 10:36 AM
Im interested about this as well. How much did it cost you to get it replaced? (labor + parts) thank you

Trulytex
05-31-12, 11:06 AM
It was around $95 each for the actuators and the dealership charged me $300 labor. They have to remove the top dash to replace the passenger actuator and the Recirc actuator. The drivers and mode actuators are supposed to be easier to get to.

the cadillac man
05-31-12, 03:43 PM
drivers side is at the bottom of the dash on the passager side a few screws and then there are two holding the actuator in place but i have no clue on the mode door actuator as i haven't had to replace it yet.