: Chrome shift lever ring replacement

smelly$cat
08-10-09, 04:45 PM
The chrome ring on the tip/end of my shift lever is starting to chip/loose it's fake chrome finish.

Anyone ever replaced this before?

Not sure how you remove it.

Just one of those little things I'd like to fix. :cool:

ewill3rd
08-11-09, 08:18 PM
You have to replace the shift lever itself.
It is pretty easy actually unless it has a tow/haul button.
You pull that rubber boot out of the trim and there is a singe T30 screw that holds it on. If you have a tow/haul button there is a long wire that you have to chase down and disconnect, reroute the new one and hook it all together.

smelly$cat
08-12-09, 04:19 PM
Ok, cool. Yeah, I have the tow/haul button. Don't all ESV's have this?

Thanks for the info!

ewill3rd
08-13-09, 08:43 AM
I have to confess I don't pay real close attention. I have noticed some with it and I am sure some without but you'd think that it might be standard.
You may have to remove the lower column cover, it is a T-25 screw I think, there should be two in the lower part. The older ones had hooks in the back and a lip that goes inside the wheel trim but you can get it out without removing the wheel.
You might need it off to access the tow/haul wiring.

smelly$cat
08-13-09, 10:25 AM
Ok, I appreciate all the info!

I have to confess I don't pay real close attention. I have noticed some with it and I am sure some without but you'd think that it might be standard.
You may have to remove the lower column cover, it is a T-25 screw I think, there should be two in the lower part. The older ones had hooks in the back and a lip that goes inside the wheel trim but you can get it out without removing the wheel.
You might need it off to access the tow/haul wiring.

Trulytex
01-05-12, 08:11 PM
I am looking for JUST the Chrome Ring as well. Mine is broken (2004 Escalade).

smelly$cat
01-05-12, 08:31 PM
I'm still rollin without mine. I did glue my ring all back together and scraped all the chrome off of it, thinking I would paint it chrome again, or maybe satin black or something, but, I've never gotten around to it...