: My first ESV road trip

smelly$cat
08-10-09, 05:36 PM
Well, last night, we completed our first road trip in the ESV. I bought this ESV about a month ago. (For what it's worth, the owner, 2 owners ago, used to post on this board. Went by the screen name of MJA. I wrote to him and confirmed this, nice guy).

Anyway, my ESV is an 03, Black, AWD. It now has ~112K on the clock after this road trip.

Road trip was from Seattle area to Montrose Colorado. ~1250 miles each way.

Running on crap gas, I got 17.3 average MPG on the trip down.

<Stock wheels/tires>

We did 18.2 on the trip home. I had it a 18.7 for the first 1000 miles before handing the reigns over to my wife who knocked it down to 18.2. To her credit though, we ran into some traffic issues and her section was pretty hilly. Still, I think I could have done better. :halo:

All of these MPG #'s are according to the on-board CPU readout. I assume it's fairly accurate, but, you guys tell me....

The truck was loaded down pretty good. Had all 4 of my kids + gear/crap for 2 weeks + our 6 month old boxer puppy. No need for a roof rack or anything.

I love this truck!

For the power/weight/functionality of this rig, I'm super happy with the MPG I was able to obtain. Very happy with the purchase.

sillyboi
08-12-09, 06:54 PM
Congrats on the purchase and good to hear that you;re happy with it.

MatthewC
08-14-09, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a great trip! I too am a fairly new Escalade owner and your numbers seem really close to the numbers we just got on our family roadtrip. We drove from Denver Colorado to Huntington Beach Ca (1050 miles each way). We averaged 18.2 for most of the trip in our 2004 AWD 6.0l Escalade (base model) according to the digital readout. The truck performed flawlessly and was extremely comfortable for me the wife and our 3 boys. We drove pretty much straight through for 16.5 hours on the way there and the way back, only stopping for food and gas.

Only complaint I got was from the boys that the stock 2004 rear entertainment center got a little choppy at times with the audio and video. I think I may be looking for a replacement soon because it was doing this even with brand new DVD's bought just for this trip. Oddly enough it also did not recognize the brand new Fast and the Furious DVD, maybe a codec issue? Not really sure.

Matt

smelly$cat
08-14-09, 04:37 PM
Nice! Couple comments:

What do you mean by base model? What options are you missing?

16.5 hrs straight is tough... but, doable. We did the drive from Seattle to Montrose straight one time (1250 miles). It was hard on the kids and us, so we decided to start breaking it up in to 2 legs.

On the DVD player front, it does sound like the player is giving you grief for some reason. I'd look into seeing if you could get it cleaned before replacing it. If that didn't work, I'd probably try to find a 2nd had one off eBay or something since it would just be plug and play to replace. 3rd, I'd go to your local audio/video place and have them just put in a new system. The wiring is already there, so, it should be relatively cheap.

My ESV has a sunroof, and being a 03, I don't think it was a factory option to get both a DVD and a Sunroof. So, I just had one put in. It's a Moves 2 Go <Audiovox> system with 4 wireless headphones and a 15" screen (drop down from the roof). I bought the 4 year warranty, which they refund for in store credit if you don't use it. Paid 1532.00 out the door. More than I planned on spending, but, it's also nicer than I pictured as well. We're happy with it.

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a great trip! I too am a fairly new Escalade owner and your numbers seem really close to the numbers we just got on our family roadtrip. We drove from Denver Colorado to Huntington Beach Ca (1050 miles each way). We averaged 18.2 for most of the trip in our 2004 AWD 6.0l Escalade (base model) according to the digital readout. The truck performed flawlessly and was extremely comfortable for me the wife and our 3 boys. We drove pretty much straight through for 16.5 hours on the way there and the way back, only stopping for food and gas.

Only complaint I got was from the boys that the stock 2004 rear entertainment center got a little choppy at times with the audio and video. I think I may be looking for a replacement soon because it was doing this even with brand new DVD's bought just for this trip. Oddly enough it also did not recognize the brand new Fast and the Furious DVD, maybe a codec issue? Not really sure.

Matt

CEPMAN
08-20-09, 11:59 AM
I just completed my first road trip as well in an ESV. From NC to NYC to PA and back to NC. Very comfortable, but the highest gas mileage I got was 12.3 (also looking at the readout) and I average 11.4 in city. I thought it was a little low, but figured it was due to a full load (2 adults, 4 kids and luggage for all) and my rims/tires (24 inch), but a drop of 6 MPG hwy seems like a bit much. Maybe I need to invest in some fuel system cleaner.

smelly$cat
08-20-09, 12:07 PM
Well, you probably got better MPG than that since I bet your overall diameter of your aftermarket wheels /tires is "taller" than the stock set up. Meaning, you actually went further than the computer thought you went. Still though, that is pretty low. I have a 05 suburban as well that has a huge lift and 37" tires on it. The computer still tells me I get about 15.4 on freeway trips, which usually equates to 17.4 or so when I manually calculate the real distance I traveled divided by the # of gallons burned. That has a 5.3 engine in it though, so, we're not talking apples to apples.

You could probably add 1 mpg to your computer readout average due to your wheel/tire package.

How fast were you driving most of the time?

Was there a lot of city driving in the mix?

Did you try to make an effort to get your MPG's up by not accelerating up hills and chill on the down hills?

Did you use cruise control a lot?

Did you reset your average calculation right before your trip?

I just completed my first road trip as well in an ESV. From NC to NYC to PA and back to NC. Very comfortable, but the highest gas mileage I got was 12.3 (also looking at the readout) and I average 11.4 in city. I thought it was a little low, but figured it was due to a full load (2 adults, 4 kids and luggage for all) and my rims/tires (24 inch), but a drop of 6 MPG hwy seems like a bit much. Maybe I need to invest in some fuel system cleaner.

CEPMAN
08-20-09, 12:27 PM
I didn't use cruise control at all. I didn't reset the average, but I also flipped between 'actual mileage' and 'average mileage' to see the difference. I tend to drive fast, but at the same time I also watch the RPM's. I rarely go past 2 1/2 - 2 3/4. Also, right before I put the rims on, I put them next to the factory wheels and tires. There is only a slight difference in wheel height. I know that the difference is there and it throws the calculations off a bit, but not THAT much. I have 305/35 tires.

smelly$cat
08-20-09, 12:39 PM
On my trip, I found that using cruise control was actually worse for my mileage (unless I was on the flats), because every time I rolled up to a hill, right at the base of the hill, it would down shift and pull the hill in 3rd gear (or 4th with the torque converter unlocked (higher RPM's).

Without cruise on, I could built up some speed gradually to be able to complete the hill in 4th, or only have to down shift for the last part of the hill.

Another big diff in what you just said is that I think we drove a lot slower than you did. My RPM's were always at 2k to 2.2k at the most. We probably kept it to 65-70mph for the bulk of the trip. There are lots of spots on this particular trip where the speed limit is actually 55 (sigh). I bet this was the biggest factor. When I tried to go 80 or more, my "instant mpg" numbers were quite a bit lower. 65 seems to be the sweet spot for my truck.

Yeah, I agree on the tires/wheels, hardly anything there to calculate. Wonder if those wider tires come into play at all. Again, probably only slightly.

----------------

I didn't use cruise control at all. I didn't reset the average, but I also flipped between 'actual mileage' and 'average mileage' to see the difference. I tend to drive fast, but at the same time I also watch the RPM's. I rarely go past 2 1/2 - 2 3/4. Also, right before I put the rims on, I put them next to the factory wheels and tires. There is only a slight difference in wheel height. I know that the difference is there and it throws the calculations off a bit, but not THAT much. I have 305/35 tires.

pilot-werx
08-20-09, 06:38 PM
We too just completed the first true road trip with our new to us 05 Platinum ESV. With my wife, new baby and myself, we had the rig packed with everything from a baby swing to a laptop.... We averaged 15.9 mpg running 85 mph up the highway. (if you have ever driven the highway in northern maine you know what I mean) The cooled seats worked great with the 95F temp. I can say for the size, this thing really is great....

smelly$cat
08-20-09, 06:42 PM
Nice! Sounds about right, mpg wise based on your speed. Cooled seats, nice. I'm lacking that on my 03 ESV. Wonder how they do that. Pump A/C air through the perforated holes in the seat? Like a air-hokey table!

I ran 85-87 octane fuel on my trip. How about you guys?

--

We too just completed the first true road trip with our new to us 05 Platinum ESV. With my wife, new baby and myself, we had the rig packed with everything from a baby swing to a laptop.... We averaged 15.9 mpg running 85 mph up the highway. (if you have ever driven the highway in northern maine you know what I mean) The cooled seats worked great with the 95F temp. I can say for the size, this thing really is great....

pilot-werx
08-21-09, 03:05 PM
I think the all that is happening with the cooled seats is that there are two fans that circulate the ambient air in the cab through the seat. I was truly surprised how well they worked... Even my wife who is the queen of temperature control though they worked great.

I run nothing but 87 in everything I own except my airplanes. I have never been sold on anything higher unless you are running a high compression motor.

smelly$cat
08-21-09, 03:12 PM
Interesting. Makes sense on the cooled seats.

I need to look up what the compression ratio is on the 6.0. Anyone know off the top of their head?

---

I think the all that is happening with the cooled seats is that there are two fans that circulate the ambient air in the cab through the seat. I was truly surprised how well they worked... Even my wife who is the queen of temperature control though they worked great.

I run nothing but 87 in everything I own except my airplanes. I have never been sold on anything higher unless you are running a high compression motor.

pilot-werx
08-22-09, 11:14 AM
Seeing the 6.0's seem to run forever with the proper care I am assuming it is not that high. I want to say I heard a number of 9.5 to 1 but I am not sure.

smelly$cat
08-22-09, 01:30 PM
Just poking around on the net, I found this link.

http://www.jspv.co.uk/escalade/index.htm

Keep in mind this looks like some UK site, so, I presume the engine would be the same over there, but, you never know....

Says the comp ratio is 10.1

Also says the recommended fuel is 87 octane.

Not sure what to say about this yet. Seems like 89 might be more appropriate for a 10.1 ratio. What say ye?

No matter what the engine requires, you can put a lower octane in it and it should retard the timing accordingly via the knock sensor readings to prevent detonation. Thus, that may be why 87 works dandy, but, you may get more power by using the octane that won't trigger the knock sensors (pinging). Not that you don't know this stuff, just putting my understanding down on paper here....

pilot-werx
08-22-09, 06:34 PM
I occasionally will have to drain the tanks on my airplanes to change bladders or to replace tanks and I will run the drained fuel in my vehicles. It is 100LL and the only difference that I notice in the escalade is the exhaust smell... No difference in performance or mileage.

smelly$cat
08-22-09, 06:41 PM
Well, I like that sound of that. I run 87 and really don't want to find a good reason to run anything higher :)

Speaking of 100LL, I just started that in my quads. Both have high compression pistons (12.5:1). I was running "Trick" fuel 114, but it was upwards of 7$ per gallon. I found an airfield by my house that sells 100LL for 4$ per gal and it seems to run fine. They sell it 24/7 (self serve) I'm happy about that. Cheaper and closer to my house. WIN!

I occasionally will have to drain the tanks on my airplanes to change bladders or to replace tanks and I will run the drained fuel in my vehicles. It is 100LL and the only difference that I notice in the escalade is the exhaust smell... No difference in performance or mileage.

CEPMAN
08-23-09, 12:26 PM
So..... I guess everyone got better gas mileage than me? I guess I need to do some research!

sk7
08-25-09, 10:42 PM
CutNpaste info from the service manual:

General Data

Engine Type
V8

Displacement
6.0L
364 CID

Bore
101.618-101.636 mm
4.0007-4.0014 in

Stroke
92.0 mm
3.622 in

Compression Ratio - LQ4 VIN U
9.40:1

Compression Ratio - LQ9 VIN N
10.0:1

Firing Order
1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Gasoline Octane
If your vehicle has the 5.3L engine (VIN Code T), use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 87 or higher. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. A little pinging noise when you accelerate or drive uphill is considered normal. This does not indicate a problem exists or that a higher-octane fuel is necessary. If you are using 87 octane or higher-octane fuel and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

If your vehicle has the 6.0L HO engine (VIN Code N), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine.

I also haven't noticed any difference between regular or premium gas, but whenever I need to tow anything, I'll use premium just as cheap insurance.

smelly$cat
08-26-09, 11:44 AM
Works for me! :highfive:

CutNpaste info from the service manual:

General Data

Engine Type
V8

Displacement
6.0L
364 CID

Bore
101.618-101.636 mm
4.0007-4.0014 in

Stroke
92.0 mm
3.622 in

Compression Ratio - LQ4 VIN U
9.40:1

Compression Ratio - LQ9 VIN N
10.0:1

Firing Order
1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Gasoline Octane
If your vehicle has the 5.3L engine (VIN Code T), use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 87 or higher. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. A little pinging noise when you accelerate or drive uphill is considered normal. This does not indicate a problem exists or that a higher-octane fuel is necessary. If you are using 87 octane or higher-octane fuel and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

If your vehicle has the 6.0L HO engine (VIN Code N), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine.

I also haven't noticed any difference between regular or premium gas, but whenever I need to tow anything, I'll use premium just as cheap insurance.