: Do off brand cold air intake's work ?

pcguy760
08-10-09, 02:12 PM
Just wondering if those cheaper offbrand CAI's work as well as the K&N, etc - here is a link to one of the cheaper ones ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-ESCALADE-02-03-6-0L-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-w-SHIELD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem3354499bfeQQitemZ220457442302QQptZRaceQ5 fCarQ5fParts

hcvone
08-10-09, 02:17 PM
Probably not as well as a company that dyno tests their products, many products will make you lose power believe it or not, I am not saying that is the case with this air intake, but other products I have tested on the dyno did. It maybe better than your stock setup, but that is just a guess.

luxurylife33
08-10-09, 05:50 PM
to me, an intake is an intake..... sure the K&N may be "better" but i cant see it being any more than 20% more power.... and for the money you'd save I'd say go for it. I haven't planned on an intake yet, but going back to my day in acura integras, eclipse, civic, etc, i couldnt tell a difference in brands.

pilot-werx
08-10-09, 09:38 PM
No offense, but you could not pay me to run a K&N or any other oiled down filter. After dusting a diesel engine using one, I learned my lesson!

ESCALADOR
08-11-09, 11:59 AM
No offense, but you could not pay me to run a K&N or any other oiled down filter. After dusting a diesel engine using one, I learned my lesson!

Did you over oil it? How long after the install did the engine go?

GCOP
08-11-09, 01:05 PM

Amen to that. I've owned diesels all my life, Fords. K&N are terrible. Most filters are sold on air flow, not how well they actually filter. Be careful with what you put on your vehicle.

As hcvone pionted out, most intakes do nothing for performance, I can say anything about the GM stuff, but with the Fords, the BEST dyno'd intake, and the best filter intake was the factory Ford severe duty AIS.

This article makes for some good reading. (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=66)

pilot-werx
08-11-09, 01:43 PM
Mine happened to be a Ford... Was a costly mistake. Even on my supercharged cobra I will only run a paper filter. Would be interesting to see the people take a picture of a white cloth after rubbing it on the inside of the intake tube...

The sad part is that people do not understand that to increase air flow you either have to increase the size of the filter media or open up the media itself.

hcvone
08-11-09, 02:00 PM
Been running oil filled cotton filters for 30 years, on and off track, gas and diesel and never had a failure caused by a filter problem, but of course it can happen. The most common is over oiling the filter, this can cause MAF problems. Some of the cheap cotton filters can deform and be sucked into the t-body causing issues too.

Caddydude420
08-11-09, 09:05 PM
I have one on my truck. Only difference was a bad-ass growl. It is a dry filter. You don't feel too much of a difference from just an intake - definitely not worth paying 4x the price.

Only problem was the steel hose clamp that holds the filter on the tube didn't work too well. The filter fell off and was completly open.

sk7
08-11-09, 09:41 PM
I also agree with the sound effects performance gains. Never had acess to a dyno, but from experience on VW's, its just a meaner sound, no noticeable increase in top speeds or acceleration. My buddy posted better lap times in his Acura type R with the stock air intake, better low to midrange power. I kept my intake stock on my escalade. Easy and cheap to replace filter when its dirty! And with the sound I get from the corsa sport its just great that way.

pcguy760
08-12-09, 02:09 AM
I have one on my truck. Only difference was a bad-ass growl. It is a dry filter. You don't feel too much of a difference from just an intake - definitely not worth paying 4x the price.

Only problem was the steel hose clamp that holds the filter on the tube didn't work too well. The filter fell off and was completly open.

So there was no increase or decrease in MPG at all? It would be nice to have a growl without a new exhaust system though lol. Think I will get a louder growl from this CAI? :)

SUX2BU
08-12-09, 09:56 AM
CAI are one of those "every little bit helps " kind of things. I bought that exact same cheap Ebay CAI and love it. No way i would pay over $80 for a CAI ever again.
It will perferm the EXACT same as a similarly styled intake. To get REAL performance out opf it though you need to seal off the filter from the engine bay so it doesn't suck in hot air.
Here's what i did.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/170908-home-depotd-my-cai-dropped-my.html

oldworld
08-13-09, 10:45 AM
My take on CAI ??? Save your money. The only thing they seem to do is add some sound...thats it.
As a matter of fact, my son spent $400 recently to put a K&N CAI on his 03 corvette. Result....sounds alittle cooler.
BUT.....no performance change, and MPG result........WORSE.
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

pcguy760
08-13-09, 01:31 PM
Oldworld, it must be like that for most vehicles I guess cos my old Expedition (5.4L V8) lost some mpg with a cai and I thought it was something to do with Fords - silly me lol.