: How to needed "shocks and springs"

CaddyshackCadillac
08-10-09, 12:19 PM
Looking for any insight for replacing my shocks and springs also what type springs should i go with as i want to lower a bit stock impala ss springs or eibach ss springs? I am looking to do this myself on my 93 fleetwood

jayoldschool
08-10-09, 12:53 PM
Stock SS springs are a great choice on a Cadillac. Nice stance that isn't too low. There are lots of complaints about Eibachs that settle strangely and sag after awhile. Also worth noting: Eibach has listed two different lowering sets. One for the Caprice, and one for the SS. So, using the one for the SS would put a car considerably lower than stock (because they are designed to lower the SS, and that was lower to begin with). For shocks, if you want the best, choose Bilstein.

HERE (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/160705-lowering-1983-deville.html) is a good thread with discussion and pics of shocks and springs.

You need:
- good hydraulic floor jack
- jack stands
- 1/2 and 3/8 socket set both shallow and deep
- loooonnggg (or a bunch) of 3/8 drive extensions
- 5 or 8lb small sledge hammer

If you have all that, then you can do it yourself.

I'll look for a how-to instead of typing it all up for you... back soon...

jey
08-13-09, 01:38 PM
Front shocks are not too bad. Two bolts at the bottom. The top you either use the special strut socket or you can break it off if you don't want to fuss with the special tool:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/167159-front-shocks.html

69DVC
08-14-09, 09:30 PM
I am also looking for this information, relevant to a 69 Deville

Can I replace springs and bushings on my suspension without an expensive spring compressor or bushing tools and also without damaging any of my limbs or vital organs in the process ?

thanks

jayoldschool
08-14-09, 10:02 PM
Can I replace springs and bushings on my suspension without an expensive spring compressor or bushing tools and also without damaging any of my limbs or vital organs in the process ?

Yes, if you have all the equipment I posted above.

Angry Matt
08-14-09, 10:41 PM
without damaging any of my limbs or vital organs in the process ?

When you go to break the ball joints to get the front coils out, position the jack under the control arm an inch or so, so when they break they don't have far to go. (According to the fsm you should loosen the ball joint bolts, break them, them take the nut off. Take the nut all the way off first. I had to saw a ball joint in half because of this and it aint fun.) This way you can release the coil pressure at a lesser rate (use a good jack, not the one that comes with the car). Don't bother with a spring compressor, that heavy car is a spring compressor.

fleetwood76
08-15-09, 02:42 PM
Hello.

If you are going to change the bushings in the control arms you will atleast need to do some specialtools to avoid to damage the arms, and you need some sort of press or "vice" to get the bushings in. This is described in the fsm.

jolle