: Oil pressure High reading

tabascotk
08-10-09, 09:30 AM
So after doing a search it looks like a bad sending unit. My oil pressure gauge is pretty much stuck at 80 all the time. It just started doing this yesterday out of nowhere. My question is, does anyone have a picture of where this thing is located? Or, can you give a good description where to find it? Also, where is the best place to buy it?

sk7
08-10-09, 11:05 AM
CutNpaste info from GM SI manual.

Engine Oil Pressure Gage Inaccurate or Inoperative
Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Instrument Cluster Schematics

Did you perform the Instrument Cluster Diagnostic System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Instrument Cluster

Start the engine.

Does the engine oil pressure gage display that the oil pressure is within the specified range?
10-80 psi (69-550 kPa)
Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems
Go to Step 3

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the engine oil pressure sensor connector.
Start the engine.
Does the engine oil pressure gage display at or above the specified value?
80 psi (550 kPa)
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 6

Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the signal circuit of the oil pressure sensor and a good ground.
Start the engine.
Does the engine oil pressure gage display at or below the specified value?
0 kPa (0 psi)
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 5

Test the signal circuit of the oil pressure sensor for an open, a high resistance, or a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 9

Test the signal circuit of the oil pressure sensor for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 9

Inspect for a high resistance or a poor connection at the case ground of the engine oil pressure sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 8

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the engine oil pressure sensor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 10

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the IPC. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 11

Replace the engine oil pressure sensor. Refer to:

Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and/or Switch Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L
Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and/or Switch Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 8.1L
Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 12
--

Replace the IPC. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 12
--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?
--
System OK
Go to Step 2

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/Escalade/OIL1.gif

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/Escalade/OIL2.gif

Browsing thru it would appear that the sensor is unplugged since the pressure is reading constant high value. I would replace with OEM sensor.

sk7
08-10-09, 11:18 AM
Wiring diagram:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/Escalade/CLUSTER.gif

You can apply ground to tan/white wire, with ignition on should give zero psi reading. Unplugging it should give maximum value of 80 psi. You can then know for sure the sensor is defect.

Instructions are for 2002 btw. No vehicule info in your avatar. I expect its similar for 02-06. Keep us posted.

tabascotk
08-11-09, 02:00 PM
Wow, thanks for the speedy response.

I'll take a look and post up what I find.

sprtsjunky17
05-05-11, 09:28 PM
can i change oil pump in deville 1996 with out dropping motor?

Srincon
08-30-14, 01:03 PM
I have a 2008 escalade and when I changed the oil I used 10w 30 synthetic oil and a day after it reads that my oil is low when it's not. When it starts beeping saying its low I press on the accelerator to hit 1000 rpm and the beeping stops but it will start beeping again after I let it idle. Could this mean I have a bad oil pressure sensor?

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-30-14, 07:51 PM
Hi Srincon,

I already responded to your post in another thread, but I wanted to reiterate that if you ever wanted assistance in working with your dealership, feel free to send me a PM.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

the cadillac man
08-30-14, 10:58 PM
I have a 2008 escalade and when I changed the oil I used 10w 30 synthetic oil and a day after it reads that my oil is low when it's not. When it starts beeping saying its low I press on the accelerator to hit 1000 rpm and the beeping stops but it will start beeping again after I let it idle. Could this mean I have a bad oil pressure sensor?

Could be bad pump or sensor

If its under warranty I would have a gm dealer check it out