: Coolant temp 250 is this too high? No warnings and fans on low?

Twilightcall
07-24-04, 02:17 PM
I have read all of the archives info on temps but thought I would ask my ? as it varies some. I have a 1994 Concours Northstar. My coolant warning lights haven't come on at all, no car running hot or the like warning lights. I just thought I would take a temp reading. I used my infrared thermometer and shot temp at the top hose rad. inlet and if read 252F. I thought this might be too hot but no warning displays come on so maybe my temp gun is off. I kept shooting temps in various places and sometimes got 238F then 250F. It fluctuated. When I turn off the car I hear no coolant bubbling or anything like that. My car doesn't have a coolant temp reading when you push the info button on the dash. Now when my infrared thermometer said it was 250F my fans were on but on the lower speed. Now if I turn on the A/C my fans will go on the high speed setting. Any ideas? Does it sound like my car is running hot or just some false readings from my infrared thermometer. Is there a way to tell if the thermostat is sticking without removing it and putting it in a pan of water. Thanks.

BeelzeBob
07-26-04, 12:19 PM
It sounds like your cooling system is fine. I think you are getting erroneous readings from the temp gun or it is being fooled by other hot surfaces.

If you want to check the coolant temp via the coolant temp sensor that data is accessible via the onboard diagnostics. Enter the onboard diagnostics with the engine hot and idling by simultaneously pressing the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel until the onboard diagnostics activates. Read off any diagnostic codes that scroll by.... When the system displays the prompt PCM? answer yes by pressing the HI button (HI is yes, LO is no). You should then see a prompt for PCM DATA? answer yes again with the HI button. Scroll thru the PCM data parameters with the HI and LO buttons (now the HI and LO mean up and down on the parameter list) Look for parameter PD04....that is the engine coolant temp in degrees C.

derfco
07-26-04, 08:43 PM
I wanted to ask one more question on this subject. I check my coolant temps and it usually runs about 95 to 100 on the highway. I was in hot temps last month and the temps were up to 118. Also temps routinely go to 108 or 109 when idling in traffic. Is this normal for a 94 concours? I have replaced thermostat and didn't want to get into the radiator unless these high temps would hurt the engine.
Thanks

BeelzeBob
07-26-04, 11:52 PM
I wanted to ask one more question on this subject. I check my coolant temps and it usually runs about 95 to 100 on the highway. I was in hot temps last month and the temps were up to 118. Also temps routinely go to 108 or 109 when idling in traffic. Is this normal for a 94 concours? I have replaced thermostat and didn't want to get into the radiator unless these high temps would hurt the engine.
Thanks

Absolutely perfectly normal. With electric cooling fans the coolant temp will rise until the fan turnon point.....usually around 125 C....and then drop back down as the fans run. Your numbers sound cool as a cucumber. Quit worrying.

156MPH
07-27-04, 06:25 PM
I USED WATER WETTER AND AN NEW THERMOSTAT.BROUGHT MY TEMP DOWN UNDER 200. I THINK N*'s RUN A LITTLE HOTTER THAN OTHER V-8

Ken Seliga
07-29-04, 11:50 AM
Ok you guys got me curious so I checked out my 95 Northstar VIN 9,the book says the fans (both in series ) come on LO at 106 degrees C and off at 102 degrees C. The fans go on HI (both in parallel) at 110 degrees C and back to LO at 105. My particular car goes on LO spd at 222.8F and off at 215.6 F. Hi spd comes on at 230F and back to LO at 221F. You should be good against boil over to about 250F with a 15psi cap and a 50/50 mix..These readings are all from the DIC,but sound about right....Any help to you??? Oh yeah , remember the Fans can " turn on "due to high transaxle temps, also...