: Rear Brake Pads DIY + Rotors and Backing Plates

RLGDiesel
08-08-09, 10:05 PM
Hello everyone! My shop recently told me that my truck (02 Escalade AWD) needs a rear brake job. I have changed the pads and rotors on my 00 Oldsmobile Bravada but wanted to know how difficult the task is on the Escalade with new backing plates installed. The shop mentioned that the backing plates and rotors were VERY rusty. Has anyone ever replaced the backing plates and does the axle need to be removed?? I am hoping to take on this project since usually the shop does only big repairs for me.

Thanks in advance!

sk7
08-08-09, 10:12 PM
My backing plates are also gone on my 02 (half of em dissapeared by rust). I've replaced some on similar GM trucks, not too bad of a job. The axles do need to come out. Apart from the plates, u will need gasket for axle cover, new diff lock pin bolt, seals for the axle ends. I will do mine before winter...

RLGDiesel
08-09-09, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the reply...I might have to look in a Haynes repair manual for some detailed procedures, it sounds like.

sk7
08-09-09, 01:51 AM
If only I could cut and paste procedure from the GM SI manual, its pretty good. Only text shows not pictures. If blownc5 (member on this forum)still has em, its a wise investment of $15 for that DVD.