: Rear Brakes Pads DIY + Rotors and Backing Plate

RLGDiesel
08-08-09, 09:04 PM
Hello everyone! My shop recently told me that my truck (02 Escalade AWD) needs a rear brake job. I have changed the pads and rotors on my 00 Oldsmobile Bravada but wanted to know how difficult the task is on the Escalade with new backing plates installed. The shop mentioned that the backing plates and rotors were VERY rusty. Has anyone ever replaced the backing plates and does the axle need to be removed?? I am hoping to take on this project since usually the shop does only big repairs for me.

Thanks in advance!

wyldefreebyrd
08-10-09, 04:10 PM
Not sure on the back rotors but I changed the front rotors on my 02 with minimal issues. Had to tap the rotors off due to rust and the bolts were tight but other than that was a simple job. I also changed one of the front hubs as it was bad at the same time. Not sure about the backing plate on the rear but the small plate on the front was held on by the hub.

deekal
08-17-11, 09:56 PM
Buy the 2 piece backing plates and you won't have to pull the axle.
Loosen the 4 bolts enough to cut or rip out the old backing plate.

Dan

chrisny454
08-17-11, 11:55 PM
Where can you buy the 2 piece backing plates and is this a common problem for the backing plates to disintegrate into rust even if the vehicle has been taken care of?