: Should I buy an extended warranty?

NorthstarSTS06
08-08-09, 06:04 PM
I am purchasing a 2006 STS with under 36K miles. The car is loaded with V8 and all the toys. Should I purchase an extended warranty for this vehicle?.

Is the $1500-$2000 worth the piece of mind?

I will have 6 months before the original warranty is over.

Carfax is clean with 1 owner and the front & rear brakes were replaced.

EChas3
08-08-09, 07:19 PM
If you're buying from a Caddy Dealer, will they 'Certify' the car? CPO is the best deal. Even if that's out, IMHO good coverage is well worth the cost. Do your research. You don't want a policy that specifies what's included, you want one that includes everything but ... No surprises. Good ones are from reputable companies and transferrable. Zurich has been in the business for decades.

Many contend that a 'self-funded' approach is good enough. I think they're kidding themselves.

BaTu
08-08-09, 07:22 PM
IMHO... - Yup ;)

If you read here there are LOTs of posts about this. The two points of view are;

Save your money for repairs you actually need, when you need them.

OR

Don't gamble on potential high repair costs, hedge your bet and have the piece-of-mind.

These cars can be extremely expensive to repair. The more loaded-up your car is the more potential problems you leave yourself open to (the cost of fixing the ACC alone exceeds what you were quoted for the warranty)

c5 rv
08-08-09, 07:32 PM
If you don't buy it CPO, I would suggest buying a GMPP warranty online from Black or Fichtner. Both dealerships will provide online quotes. Given the mileage of the car, it's probably best to buy the extended warranty shortly before your new car warranty expires.

MacMuse
08-08-09, 09:07 PM
yes

YES

YES

YES

um, I think it might be a good idea.

MacMuse
08-08-09, 09:37 PM
My emphatic yes stems from the replacement of a $5 bulb that resulted in follow-up body work and painting because the dealer scratched the car when they took off the bumper to replace the bulb. All covered under my CPO.

Everyone's experiences will vary, but this car has very few non-trivial basic maintenance procedures (e.g., drop the bumper to change a bulb). And any single real repair will eat through your $1,500+ extended coverage in a heartbeat.

If you like doing that level of work on your own, or if you just drive the car back and forth to church then the extended coverage may look wasteful.

I like to drive. I don't fix cars for hobby or career. I took the coverage.

R1chard
08-08-09, 09:44 PM
Absolutely YES!

turnerbend
08-08-09, 10:02 PM
I would not own a STS (or any Cadillac) without some type of warranty. 05 STS with 10,000 miles going back to dealer Monday to replace strut that's leaking. Thank God for the warranty.

cooncat
08-08-09, 10:31 PM
If you can get your car certified, you are better off. As my wonderful service advisor explained to me, if there are any issues and they are covered by the warranty, they will repair the car with no questions asked and you should get a Cadillac loaner car. The CPO is the extension of the original new car warranty. It even includes the lightbulbs, I think. But I think the new CPO is different from what I have which the old one before bankrupsy. You should carefully compare the two warranties. But I know the CPO includes a loaner car for any warranty repair.

Maximln
08-09-09, 08:03 PM
MacMuse-Did you say that your CPO warranty covers bulb repairs? I have a GMPP warranty & I just assumed they did not. Was I wrong? It shows on their website that they do not cover bulbs.

Thanks,

Max

MacMuse
08-09-09, 08:29 PM
sorry to mis-lead - the bulb work was done under the original warranty, not the CPO.

EChas3
08-09-09, 09:34 PM
Some members have reported battery, bulbs & some brake work under CPO. I'm just expecting repair of defects. Got mine in Dec. 2008, prior to GM's bankrupcy & CPO redefinition.

rnkath08
08-10-09, 03:52 PM
I have an 06 STS v8, AWD and just broke down to buy the GMPP. My car has 18k miles on it and the factory warranty ends in November. FYI they did say the price rises once the car is out of factory warranty as well as each 10k miles you go up.
After looking at a few different plans, companies that seemed reputable and others that I couldn't find any solid info on, I ended up at my local Caddy dealer (where I did not buy the car). As I don't plan on trading up, and do plan to keep the car long term (my other car I've already had 8 years) I bit the bullet and got 72months, 72k miles. The master guard plan ended up being $2900. It was a lot of money, but one big repair could eat that and more (see the thread with the timing chain on the guy's 05)...I also figured the dealer might be beating me up a bit, but as I will go to them for service I figured I do owe it to them to give them some business as well. Hopefully it'll be something I never need, but if I do excellent. I think peace of mind is worth a lot when you look at the complexity of the systems in our car and my own lack of mechanical know how.
Good luck