: HI, considering to buy a '93 STS, need some help

Dan_sts
07-24-04, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone, I just signed up and am to say the least very impressed with the forum, the amount of very useful info and the comradery between all of you. :thumbsup:

On to my question; I found a car that I am considering buying and fixing up and possibly to re sell. The car sounds like a pretty good deal but I am weary of the problems the car has and from what I read in the forums what it could have hidden or coming up soon.

The car for sale (which I have not seen yet) is a navy blue / gray leather '93 STS with what I believe around 150k kilometers (or about 93K miles), dead battery, been sitting since November last year, apparentlyhas a cracked? intake manifold, idles high (probably because of the vacuum leak) many new A/C components recently replaced, clean interior, rust on front hood lip and corner below back window. I don't know if the head gaskets were already done. The current owner apparently had replaced the mufflers multiple times in the recent past and said that the suspension is getting loose and the brakes might need replacing. And last but not least the windshield has a crack going across the bottom. Phew!

I read a few stories about the inherent problems with head gaskets and the high cost of suspension parts like shocks etc. To me it almost sounds like a car that is good only for parts given its age and required repairs but I am still tempted to pick it up hopefully for real cheap say around $1500 CAD, if I'm lucky, through a family member of a good friend. I am able to do any kind of mechanical repairs myself therefore this can offset the cost of any work that needs to be done.

Any opinions and pointers of what to look at specifically when I actually go see the car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

elwesso
07-27-04, 12:16 AM
I suggest you read thorugh some of the threads in the seville and northstar sections...

I hardly consider a STS, especially an old one wiht problems one worht fixing and reselling.... Just my humble opinion

Welcome to the forum!

CADDYBLACK99
07-27-04, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words, it take a lot of dedicated people to keep this place running. Thanks for joining the forum!

I agree with Wes on this one! The list of repairs is (IMO is extensive) and it certiainly exceeds whatever resale price you may get. If I were to sink that kind of money/time in for repairs I would keep and run it!
IMO (not experience) not worth it.
Paul

Dan_sts
07-28-04, 02:22 AM
Thanks guys for your input. The more I think about it the car would make a better parts car than anything.Either way I will probably go and get it running to see just how bad the car really is.

Thanks again.