: Air filter change

Simon STS
08-08-09, 03:06 PM
I tried to change the air filter in my 2005 STS V-8. Was very easy to remove the old one. I moved aside the water return hose, removed the two screws of the air box, open the air box (the air hose absorbs a small displacement of the filter box) and removed the old filter. Then I installed the new one (exactly the same as the old), when I closed the filter box it was very difficult. I couldn't get the two sides to fit as they were before. Finally I closed the filter box but still I am not sure that is correctly closed because is not possible to see the bottom of the box. Did I miss something? Could anyone help me with this. Thanks.:cookoo:

snum1fan
08-08-09, 03:28 PM
I did the same thing and am wondering if mine is closed right also. I took the box out and looked at it and it seems as though it is closed right, but you can feel the edge of the filter on the bottom half, and you cannot on the top. The bottom of the box has 2 sets of little fin like things that slide into little slots. Then the top just screws. I don't think there is much of a way to not put it on right unless you don't get the fins in the slot. But it does seem like it is not closed right on the bottom. Maybe someone else will have a little more insight.

KARL DAHLEN
08-08-09, 05:01 PM
Mine seems to close tightly if you get the "little fins" seated right. maybe you got the wrong size filter?

jamesbalzer
08-09-09, 10:20 AM
What brand of filter(s) are you having trouble with? Karl- what brand did you use that seems to fit? Sometimes, it seems that even though a filter may be right for the application there are small enough differences to create these issues....

snum1fan
08-09-09, 12:04 PM
I am using a K&N filter. I took the whole box out and it seems as though it is tight enough on the bottom, but you can still see the rubber edge of the filter.
When you feel the bottom of your filter box, can you feel the rubber?

roadog1aj
08-09-09, 12:59 PM
I just installed the K&N filter in my V8. I was worried, just like you, but after reopening the box, and double checking that the fins did indeed seat properly, I closed everything up. For some reason, the K&N is different just enough to allow those fins to miss their position, unless you take extra time, and have a really good light to see that everything is fit properly. Even then, it seems like it's not installed properly, but it is.

snum1fan
08-09-09, 04:27 PM
Can you feel the rubber on the bottom half of the filter box? I cant find it on the top but on the bottom , I can just barely feel the rubber on the K&N filter. I took the whole box out just to make sure it was as good as I could get it. I also ran the car with the box back in feeling for air sucking in the gap. I could not feel anything signifigant. I just don't want dirt or aything for that matter to get sucked into there and mess my engine up. I may try to call K&N and see if they have any ideas or if anyone else has called in with a STS with the same problem. I have checked 5 times to make sure it is the right filter. It's K&N filter number 33-2356.

Do any of you know if you have to be a supporting member to post pictures, or do you just have to be a member a certain amount of time? Same thing with posting links? I have tried to post pictures before and it said something about not being able to post pics or links for a certain amount of time. Does being a supporting member take care of that?

I am about to do a step by step write um on how to take the front bumper off and back on, and how to install H.I.D.'s in the low/high beams, and in the fog's.

rb92gt
08-09-09, 08:53 PM
You are making life too difficult if you are changing the air filter without removing the entire box. Only takes a few minutes to remove the entire box, then you can compare old to new filters and easily close box back together, then place it back into car. If I remember correctly, you CAN see/feel part of the rubber edge of the filter even with the box properly closed.

Simon STS
08-10-09, 01:45 PM
After the new filter was installed I made a short trip. The engine sounded different. Then I opened the air box and re-installed the filter trying to get closed the up and bottom sections. This was tricky to said the less. Finally I could close the gap feeling the ruber pressed between the two pieces of the box. Again, I used the car and the engine sound was as it should be. Normally, to change the air filter was for me a piece of cake. Not this time, seems that GM engineers tried to make the thing complicated (and add a potential risk to the engine). I would like to warn other STS V8 owners, that likes to change the air filter by itself, about this issue.

Regulator
08-10-09, 03:18 PM
After the new filter was installed I made a short trip. The engine sounded different. Then I opened the air box and re-installed the filter trying to get closed the up and bottom sections. This was tricky to said the less. Finally I could close the gap feeling the ruber pressed between the two pieces of the box. Again, I used the car and the engine sound was as it should be. Normally, to change the air filter was for me a piece of cake. Not this time, seems that GM engineers tried to make the thing complicated (and add a potential risk to the engine). I would like to warn other STS V8 owners, that likes to change the air filter by itself, about this issue.

I agree, you will notice a sound difference in the engine if it's not installed properly. Make sure the fins are lined up correctly and do it again if you need to. I had to do mine a few times to do it right, however, as someone else mentioned it may be easier to remove the whole box. You could do some serious damage if it's not in there correctly.

Platinum06
08-11-09, 04:15 AM
Now i'm second guessing my K&N filter install...it went almost too easy and it was in a 2 secs...going to check it in the morning.

corvette00
08-11-09, 09:43 AM
thanks for info, now I am going to check mine