: Cool Features...

nynd
08-08-09, 12:00 AM
Thought of starting a thread to highlight some features some us may not know of or love.

-> The remote start always makes me fee like Knight Rider

-> Keyless Entry is also great, just step up and pull

cts-v2009
08-08-09, 12:49 AM
Me

G-meter

Engine :)

Caddyscat
08-08-09, 05:19 PM
I can't believe how the suspension changes at the push of a button! Soft & plush or firm and responsive!

nynd
08-08-09, 05:46 PM
With that suspension change, I take it there are no shift pattern changes correct? My dealer was under the impression that the car "shifted" more aggressively when the magnetic ride was changed.

Gary Wells
08-08-09, 05:48 PM
I can't believe how the suspension changes at the push of a button! Soft & plush or firm and responsive!

This is not good. Where's this magic button / switch at? I haven't come across this in the owner's manual yet. Mine's still set as it came from the dealership. BTW, Caddyscat, what's the population of Dublin now? I used to live in the Pleasant Hill / Concord / Four Corners area when I was a kid. Maybe '58 to '61. "Hot Rods" / "Homemade High Performance" / "Rat Rods" were alive and well in those days.

nynd
08-08-09, 05:50 PM
Gary, the button in on the dash right next to where it says Passenger Air Bag ON/OFF

62Jeff
08-08-09, 06:16 PM
With that suspension change, I take it there are no shift pattern changes correct? My dealer was under the impression that the car "shifted" more aggressively when the magnetic ride was changed.

I've not heard that. Now put the automatic shift lever over to the right and yeah it gets a more aggressive shift algorithm.

mik2718
08-08-09, 07:21 PM
Where's this magic button / switch at? I haven't come across this in the owner's manual yet.

Really? Or are you just kidding?

Page 3-70:

Suspension Mode Sport
(CTS-V Only)
This message will be displayed when sport mode is
selected using the Magnetic Ride Control button in the
center of the instrument panel. See Magnetic Ride
Control™ on page 4-9 for more information.
Suspension Mode Tour (CTS-V Only)
This message will be displayed when touring mode
is selected using the Magnetic Ride Control button in
the center of the instrument panel. See Magnetic
Ride Control™ on page 4-9 for more information.

Page 4-9:

Magnetic Ride Control™
With this feature on the CTS-V, the Magnetic Ride
Control system adjusts the ride of the vehicle to Touring
or Sport modes. Magnetic Ride Control monitors the
suspension system to determine the proper system
response.
TOUR: Use for normal city and highway driving.
This setting provides a smooth, soft ride.
SPORT: Use where road conditions or personal
preference demand more control. This setting provides
more “feel”, or response to road conditions.
The setting can be changed at any time. Based on road
conditions, steering wheel angle and the vehicle speed,
the system automatically adjusts to provide the best
handling while providing a smooth ride. The Touring and
Sport modes will feel similar on a smooth road. Select a
new setting whenever driving conditions change.
The Driver Information Center (DIC) briefly displays
SUSPENSION MODE TOURING or SUSPENSION
MODE SPORT on vehicle startup or when a new mode
is selected.
Press and release this
button, located in the
center of the instrument
panel, to change modes.

Gary Wells
08-08-09, 07:32 PM
No, unfortunately, I was serious. I don't get the car out enough, and evidently, I don't get the manual out enough either. Going to have to change that. I'm probably in touring. Thanks everybody for the info.

62Jeff
08-08-09, 09:04 PM
The button has a little shock absorber painted on it and it is directly to the right of the "NAV" button. See the image below, it is the button circled in red. Touch it once and you go from Tour to Sport mode and the road feels a little rougher, the suspension gets more toned. Touch it again and it goes back to Tour mode.

http://i32.tinypic.com/11kje5f.jpg

Gary Wells
08-08-09, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Jeff, appreciate that. I will change it over the next time that I have the car out. Hopefully, next weekend. The car is my retirement present to myself and I am planning on retiring about 7 months away from now. I expect to be able to get the car out considerably more frequent than I can now. Currently, it has to share with a dd '02 ZO6 & another weekend toy, a '87 turbo Buick. Love the car though. And it seems to get a lot of worthy attention.

//ZZ//
08-09-09, 06:26 PM
Currently, it has to share with a dd '02 ZO6 & another weekend toy, a '87 turbo Buick.

I like your taste in cars!

Gary Wells
08-09-09, 07:00 PM
I like your taste in cars!
Thanks for the props. I was actually looking for a new '08 or '09 C6ZO6 as a retirement present when I started to take a liking to the cad CTS-V. I could not have opted for a better selection than the Cad. Seems to do everything very well. I like your Caddy too, as I remember seeing pics in the "post pics section" and La Grange. Beautiful car & surrounding area of your house.

Caroutisine
08-09-09, 07:50 PM
I like the fact that the rear doors open similar to the front ones with the keyless. On my 2005 STS, the keyless worked by pulling the handle on the front doors, but you had to use the remote or unlock from the inside to open the rear doors. On the CTS, just pulling the handle on one of the rear doors unlocks it, then just pull again and it opens. Not a big deal, but I always thought the STS should have operated like this. Get spoiled by keeping the remote in your pocket and when you want to open one rear door before the front ones, this comes in handy.

lewster01
08-09-09, 08:30 PM
For Southern Arizona it has to be the ventilated Recaros. Helps reduce the occurrence of scorched a$$ syndrome, when your cars interior is about 130 degrees.:yup:

commander112
08-09-09, 09:31 PM
I like the headlights that turn with the car.

cmicasa
08-09-09, 10:08 PM
I like the headlights that turn with the car.

I love that too...

I'll add:

1) Remote start (which I have on my Tahoe and G6 as well, but not my 2008 Vette because it's a stick)

2) Magnetic Ride Control/F55... Beautiful GM tech used in Vette, 599GTB, ZR1, and R8.

3) Sport Mode Tranny

4) Entertainment/Weather/Nav system

5) 556HP on tap that leaves Vette owners, 911turbo owners, M5 owners, and AMG owners... with their mouths hanging open in awe:D

Caroutisine
08-09-09, 10:14 PM
Can the CTS play DVD's in park like the STS does?

commander112
08-09-09, 10:39 PM
Can the CTS play DVD's in park like the STS does?

Yes and with a lockpick even when the car is in motion.

nynd
08-09-09, 10:49 PM
What is the lockpick? Is there any easy way to disable the "in motion restriction or does it require a black box add on of some sort?

Gary Wells
08-09-09, 11:02 PM
I won't mention any names, but one of the well known tuners has a fix available for that or it can be installed in his handheld, don't remember which it is.

jwa999
08-09-09, 11:40 PM
What is the lockpick? Is there any easy way to disable the "in motion restriction or does it require a black box add on of some sort?

DVD unlocker. W4M sells them as well as Hennessey.
W4M has a video on youtube showing you how to install it. You have to take the whole radio panel out and install it in the back.
Will also allow you to enter addresses in nav while driving.

Hans.

TopperHarley
08-10-09, 01:05 AM
Was just reading this thread and had to go out and check out the DVD. Too cool. I need to order the unlocker.... like now.

marktanner
08-10-09, 02:09 AM
I like the enhanced steering effort and feel that happens when competitive mode is engaged on the TC. I like the fact that we have Competitive Mode at all, though I wish we also had Launch Control, like the ZR1.

I'm now appreciating the cross-street feature on the Nav that I read about on this forum; very useful. I also appreciate the extra downforce of the wipers with the spoilers that don't come with the base CTS.

Lastly, I'm really appreciating the extra front spoiler clearance over the base car. Though it looks lower, the car safely glides over curbs and driveways that the base car would scrape on. No damage yet in 3 1/2 months so far, in daily use.

nynd
08-10-09, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the mention of competitive mode.. I never realized the steering responds differently!

kck
08-11-09, 02:03 AM
I like the enhanced steering effort and feel that happens when competitive mode is engaged on the TC. I like the fact that we have Competitive Mode at all, though I wish we also had Launch Control, like the ZR1.

I'm now appreciating the cross-street feature on the Nav that I read about on this forum; very useful. I also appreciate the extra downforce of the wipers with the spoilers that don't come with the base CTS.

Lastly, I'm really appreciating the extra front spoiler clearance over the base car. Though it looks lower, the car safely glides over curbs and driveways that the base car would scrape on. No damage yet in 3 1/2 months so far, in daily use.

marktanner:

It would appear that Jesse has a “Launch Control” option in his transmission tune. In a post entitled “Drag racing modes are now being setup for the handhelds if requested,” he goes on to state:

“Just so you guys know. I pretty much figured out exactly what rpms and settings to set up the manuals and autos for Drag racing modes.. What this does is, Makes the fans come on for 2 minutes after you shut off the key so it keeps cooling the intercooler core, keeps engine coolant at exactly 192 no matter what, "cooler if you change the thermostat", Also does some things for better take off, and repetitive times. It also sets your minimum rpm at idle to 1000 "or any setting you want" so it stalls your motor at the line automatically so you launch consistent every time. For the reallly picky people i can limit the throttle in a gear off the line in first so you can just floor the car every time right off the line and it will make the exact quarter mile time every time. Takes all the fun and guess work out of track time, but money and trophey class, it helps alot.”

Kyle

Jeffrey
08-11-09, 12:20 PM

Hi,

I've had my V less than 24 hours (only 40 driving miles), so I might not know what I'm talking about. Nevertheless, it certainly seems to me that the V tachs higher (with the same accelerator level) in the sport mode than the touring mode. IMO, the difference is significant.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

thunder gray
08-11-09, 12:30 PM
Like Gary Wells my 09 CTS-V was a retirement present to myself. Thanks for this post I never realized the suspension mode was that little shock on the button, don't laugh but it looks like a little microphone to me.

Jeffrey
08-11-09, 01:05 PM
I like the enhanced steering effort and feel that happens when competitive mode is engaged on the TC.

Hi Mark,

Where is competitive mode selected?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

readyact
08-11-09, 01:50 PM
A feature I like is how you can open the trunk by pressing the soft button located just above the license plate under the lip of the trunk. Pretty nice to walk up to the car, reach my hand under the trunk lip and open the trunk without taking the remote fob out of my pocket.

Prof
08-11-09, 01:59 PM
I have not found a speed at which the cruise control will not engage!

Other performance cars seem to think that there is an upper limit to where a cruise control should engage.

mik2718
08-11-09, 02:34 PM
Where is competitive mode selected?

From page 4-8 of the manual:

Competitive Driving Mode
To select this optional handling mode, press the
TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly two times and the
STABILITRAK COMPETITVE MODE displays in the
Driver Information Center (DIC). While in the StabiliTrak
Competitive Mode, TCS does not limit wheel spin, and
the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light comes on. Adjust your
driving accordingly.
Press the TCS/StabiliTrak button again, or turn the
ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY and restart the vehicle, to
turn TCS back on and turn the TCS/StabiliTrak warning
light off.

Jeffrey
08-11-09, 03:17 PM
From page 4-8 of the manual:

Competitive Driving Mode
To select this optional handling mode, press the
TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly two times and the
STABILITRAK COMPETITVE MODE displays in the
Driver Information Center (DIC). While in the StabiliTrak
Competitive Mode, TCS does not limit wheel spin, and
the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light comes on. Adjust your
driving accordingly.
Press the TCS/StabiliTrak button again, or turn the
ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY and restart the vehicle, to
turn TCS back on and turn the TCS/StabiliTrak warning
light off.

Hi,

Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

That's a feature I definitely wanted to know about within 24 hours of taking delivery. I'll be using that feature often!

Best regards,
Jeffrey

marktanner
08-12-09, 02:03 AM
Jeffery, the Traction Control button is the large button on the left spoke of the steering wheel, closest to the hub. This is different from the base car, and most salespeople don't know this. One click turns off the TC, two clicks within a few seconds turns on the Competitive Mode, and holding it down for five or so seconds turns off the TC AND the Stabilitrak. Competitive Mode turns off the TC, and loosens the Stabilitrak to let the tail hang out further before intervening, and firms up the steering. It also turns the yellow TC warning triangle on. It's function is independent of the suspension and transmission modes.

Competitive mode feels great, but be careful with the throttle. With the TC off it's easy to vaporize the rear tires and get sideways! Good luck and have fun with the new ride. Make sure and check out the G-meter in the DIC, too.

Jeffrey
08-12-09, 11:05 AM
Jeffery, the Traction Control button is the large button on the left spoke of the steering wheel, closest to the hub. This is different from the base car, and most salespeople don't know this. One click turns off the TC, two clicks within a few seconds turns on the Competitive Mode, and holding it down for five or so seconds turns off the TC AND the Stabilitrak. Competitive Mode turns off the TC, and loosens the Stabilitrak to let the tail hang out further before intervening, and firms up the steering. It also turns the yellow TC warning triangle on. It's function is independent of the suspension and transmission modes.

Competitive mode feels great, but be careful with the throttle. With the TC off it's easy to vaporize the rear tires and get sideways! Good luck and have fun with the new ride. Make sure and check out the G-meter in the DIC, too.

Hi Mark,

Excellent information and post! Thank you for taking the time to teach a newbie (I took delivery Monday) about this great machine. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine has access to a closed airport and this is exactly what I need to know when I make my first visit.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

tedcmiller
08-12-09, 03:20 PM
marktanner,
The owner's manual describes the first and second depressions of the TCS/StabiliTrak button on the CTS-V steering wheel and what happens as a result. However, depression of this button for five (5) seconds is not described. How is this operation different from two (2) depressions, and how did you discover it?

V-Beach
08-12-09, 09:21 PM
I have no NAV system and got lost going to the Breakers in West Palm. I called ONSTAR to get directions and the operator said "I will now download the directions to you car." I said " I don't have a NAV system" and the operator laughed and said "Please stand by". I then heard a computer generated voice that started giving me turn by turn directions with distance warnings. On my dash, where the digital speedo normally displays, I had a countdown directional system alerting me to when I need to turn, with street names and a bar graph alerting me to such. I even stopped for lunch and when I restarted the car the system automatically resumed and asked if wished to continue with directions to my destination. When I said "yes", verbal command, it told me to wait while it re-calculated my route and I was back on my way. Having multiple cars where I have paid for $$$$ NAV systems, I am more then happy to report that this "FREE" system is flawless.
Best thing I never knew I had.

Barry626
08-12-09, 09:35 PM
resumed and asked if wished to continue with directions to my destination. When I said "yes", verbal command, it told me to wait while it re-calculated my route and I was back on my way. Having multiple cars where I have paid for $$$$ NAV systems, I am more then happy to report that this "FREE" system is flawless.
Best thing I never knew I had.

Only free for 1 year!
Then you pay $28.90 per month plus taxes & fees, over $30.00 per month.

dgarza
08-12-09, 11:55 PM
I have not found a speed at which the cruise control will not engage!

Other performance cars seem to think that there is an upper limit to where a cruise control should engage.

under 30 mph it wont engage other than that i havent found it either....For the Sport mode on the suspension as soon as you turn your car off it goes back to touring so remember to hit the button everytime you turn your car on....Jesse's tranny tune is sweet still waiting on the word about the American Racing Headers on his car......:2thumbs:

kck
08-13-09, 12:42 AM

marktanner:

Thanks for the very helpful information on the various “traction” (or “nanny”) control options for the V.

I have a few questions regarding these options (ones that I also posted for Short-Throw and Silver V on another thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/176230-performance-auto-vs-manual-7.html). I understand why you might want to select the V’s “Competition Mode” to reduce how quickly the Stabilitrack takes over, so that you can push the V to potentially greater speeds when cornering by allowing the tail to hang out a bit before the stability control takes over. However, this Competition mode also turns off Traction Control (at least if I correctly understand your comments). So can you explain for us “newbies” why one might want to turn off Traction Control to somehow enhance performance? Wouldn’t we want to keep wheel spin as low as possible (i.e., just below the “threshold” where spin will start) in order to “maximize” acceleration – other than possibly when launching the V from a stand-still, where a little spin allows the V to get into its “power band” (which with all its torque, of course, occurs at a relatively low rpm)?

Kyle

kck
08-13-09, 01:14 AM
Although I like the appearance of the V’s 200 mph speedo, it is hard to read the (very fine) increments at a quick glance. The old Taurus that I drove before I bought my V had a very large digital speedometer that was a breeze to quickly read. So I was very pleased to just discover that you can use the DIC to select a digital speed display. (When I received my V, it displayed the odometer reading on the DIC. So I assumed this was the “default” setting. However, I’ve seen another post which would seem to imply that the digital speed display might be the V’s default setting.)

This DIC digital speed display option is not as good as the HUD that I would really like to see offered in the V, but it is not a bad “compromise.” Now I just wish that GM would supply the software updates so that the DIC might also provide a “substitute” display for the oil temperature gauge that is sorely missing in such a high performance car as the V. If I could at least temporarily turn on the oil temp display when I first start the car, then I would know when it is safe to use the V’s power. As it is, I have to use the water temp as a very “crude index” of oil temp. Someone told me that it takes about twice as long to get the oil warmed up as it does to get the water temp up to operating levels. I don’t know how accurate that statement is. But we should not have to guess when the oil temperature is “good-to-go.”

Kyle

V-Beach
08-13-09, 08:58 AM
Only free for 1 year!
Then you pay $28.90 per month plus taxes & fees, over $30.00 per month.

How much is the NAV system?

mik2718
08-13-09, 10:45 AM
How much is the NAV system?

$2145 option on 2009 models. It's standard (and the price is increased by $2145) on 2010 Vs.

Jeffrey
08-13-09, 11:00 AM
Although I like the appearance of the V’s 200 mph speedo, it is hard to read the (very fine) increments at a quick glance. The old Taurus that I drove before I bought my V had a very large digital speedometer that was a breeze to quickly read. So I was very pleased to just discover that you can use the DIC to select a digital speed display. (When I received my V, it displayed the odometer reading on the DIC. So I assumed this was the “default” setting. However, I’ve seen another post which would seem to imply that the digital speed display might be the V’s default setting.)

This DIC digital speed display option is not as good as the HUD that I would really like to see offered in the V, but it is not a bad “compromise.”

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I also use the digital speed display and love the HUD in my Vette. I also wish the V had HUD. I started using the digital speed display because I prefer to tilt the steering wheel low and it blocks the analog display.

I leave my DIC on digital speed display and it defaults to that when I restart the vehicle. Maybe that's what the other poster was referencing?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Nutz
08-13-09, 11:34 AM
Many favs here:

The fact that the USB drive sounds clearer and appears to have about 15 watts more.

The Bluetooth phone thing is cool, especially when the A/C drops the fan to let you talk.

Whisper quiet shifter operation.

The car's evil look at dusk with the parking lights on only.:drool:

Being able to hit pause on XM, shut the car off, and return within and hr. to retrieve songs.

I could go on all day...

Oh, and that whining sound under the hood that is louder with the Wait4Me CAI, ya, that's a cool feature.:)

nynd
08-13-09, 11:50 AM
One thing I was trying to look for was in the NAV display menu, when you have a USB stick in, it says "FRONT" or "USB".. is there a USB port somewhere else besides the console?

Z06ified
08-13-09, 03:16 PM
marktanner:
However, this Competition mode also turns off Traction Control (at least if I correctly understand your comments). So can you explain for us “newbies” why one might want to turn off Traction Control to somehow enhance performance? Wouldn’t we want to keep wheel spin as low as possible (i.e., just below the “threshold” where spin will start) in order to “maximize” acceleration – other than possibly when launching the V from a stand-still, where a little spin allows the V to get into its “power band” (which with all its torque, of course, occurs at a relatively low rpm)?Kyle

My Z06 has the same stability control modes. There are two reasons you wouldn't want traction control on in competition mode: 1) traction control, while a little forgiving on GM cars (and much more forgiving than other brands, which basically shut you down at the slightest hint of wheelspin), will often cut more power than needed to eliminate spin. You'll get a better acceleration time with a little bit of wheelspin (more than the TC will allow), than having the TC intervene and cut power. 2) when going through a well executed power slide or drift around a turn in a road course or autocross, there can be quite a bit of rear wheel spin - again, more than the traction control will allow. This isn't always the quickest way around a turn, but sometimes it can be, and it's always fun regardless.

jwa999
08-13-09, 03:58 PM
One thing I was trying to look for was in the NAV display menu, when you have a USB stick in, it says "FRONT" or "USB".. is there a USB port somewhere else besides the console?

There is a analog aux input as well as a USB input. That's what FRONT is for.
(I think i don't have the car with me today)
And the USB will of course recognize ipod/iphone, so it can extract artist/album names directly.

kck
08-13-09, 10:43 PM
My Z06 has the same stability control modes. There are two reasons you wouldn't want traction control on in competition mode: 1) traction control, while a little forgiving on GM cars (and much more forgiving than other brands, which basically shut you down at the slightest hint of wheelspin), will often cut more power than needed to eliminate spin. You'll get a better acceleration time with a little bit of wheelspin (more than the TC will allow), than having the TC intervene and cut power. 2) when going through a well executed power slide or drift around a turn in a road course or autocross, there can be quite a bit of rear wheel spin - again, more than the traction control will allow. This isn't always the quickest way around a turn, but sometimes it can be, and it's always fun regardless.

Z06ified:

Thanks for your information about the “better” GM traction control than other competitors. It still puzzles me, however, why GM would not engineer a TC that would not “intercede” as quickly in order to better “mimic” what a driver might do to maximize acceleration.

Kyle

kck
08-13-09, 10:51 PM
Hi Kyle,

I also use the digital speed display and love the HUD in my Vette. I also wish the V had HUD. I started using the digital speed display because I prefer to tilt the steering wheel low and it blocks the analog display.

I leave my DIC on digital speed display and it defaults to that when I restart the vehicle. Maybe that's what the other poster was referencing?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

OK. So GM ships the V with the DIC initially set to display the odometer. So my V was not an "anomaly." Thanks.

Kyle

marktanner
08-14-09, 01:55 AM
Traction control giveth, and then taketh away. Most traction controls try their damnedest to prevent any wheelspin at all, to maximize "traction". They do this by cutting power, and sometimes by applying the brake to the spinning wheel also. This works great on very slippery surfaces, such as water, snow, and ice. It's not so great in the dry, though, as it can cut boost and revs that diminish power even when there is sufficient traction again. No traction control adds traction, which is why we have limited slip differentials. They spread the power amongst both wheels, which does increase traction under certain circumstances. It's generally thought that some slip is the fastest way off the line in the dry, but not so much in the wet.

The TC in the CTS-V actually allows a fair amount of slip, especially compared to the standard CTS, not to mention MB and Lexus, and numerous others. I certainly don't think it's as good as launch control, which is designed to give you the optimum slip and traction off the line. Our TC also has to intervene for bad weather and other indiscretions, so it's not optimized for the best ET. MB and Lexus allow virtually NO slip, and they tend to be slow off the line, except in low grip situations.

TC can also interfere with handling, especially for expert drivers. Most modern cars are set up with understeer, which means they want to plow off the road in a straight line, though with the V, not so much. There is a phenomenon called power oversteer, which means that excess power can overpower the rear tires and cause the rear end to swing out, and even spin out. Under controlled circumstances (i.e. expert driver), one can counteract the built-in understeer with power oversteer and attain neutral handling, which is faster. Power overster is also necessary to be able to do a controlled drift, which can be faster still, not to mention lots of fun. The TC on the V actually allows a fair amount of power oversteer compared to others, including the base CTS, but more power can be safely applied by expert drivers in certain situations than it will allow. That's where Competitive mode comes in. If you're good you have more choices of attitude in turns, without totally risking a spinout if you get it wrong. The added steering feel and effort is welcome in these situations, when you really want to play. It's just not a good idea in the wet.

Many cars have an off switch for the electronic nannies, but many don't. MB and Lexus don't have an off switch, which is one reason why they don't feel as fun to drive. VERY few cars have a Competitive mode, which lets you play but can still save your ass when necessary. The nannies can be totally disabled on our cars, but I don't recommend that mode except under very controlled circumstances, like an autocross where you can learn the limits of the car (and yourself), but can mess up without hurting anything. With such a surplus of power, and relatively small tires for the weight and power, it can be very easy to overdo it on the street and spin, or worse. The nannies are a great safety net, without spoiling the fun too much. Even Competitive Mode needs to be treated with great respect, and if someone is not experienced in high performance driving, probably shouldn't be used. A low speed autocross is a good way to learn car control if you need the experience, and with more car control you can start to more safely disable the nannies. Smoothness is paramount, too.

To answer another post about NAV vs OnStar, they are both good, and definitely not the same thing. OnStar turn by turn directions is standard for the first year, then it's $300/year thereafter. Other OnStar plans are cheaper, but not free. The directions show up in the DIC, there is no map, and the audio totally mutes while the directions are spoken, which annoys me. There is no traffic information or time to destination, either. The system is ONLY hands free, which is safe and can be done while driving, but involves talking to someone. That means other people know your business. They do have a broader and more up to date database, and can find places that the NAV can't at times. There is a concierge service included, which I have never used, but I hear it works well.

The Nav system costs about $2100 for '09, but is standard for '10. Updated DVDs become available once a year, in the fall, and unfortunately cost $200 each, and are keyed to specific cars, so can't be shared. Even with the updates, the database may not be as up to date as you might like. It is based on the MapQuest database. It is very easy to use, and is very well integrated into the car. The traffic info can be very helpful in cities and on trips (this costs about $50/year from XM, independent of the music) The maps can be configured three ways, and at certain magnifications, some 3D buildings will appear, a neat touch. The big screen is easily readible, and is easily reached for touch functions. As per Jesse Bubb, we will soon be able to add a reverse camera and use the Nav screen for the display, plus he can unlock the system so you can enter addresses by touch while driving, or watch DVDs while driving, too, if you choose. The Nav has many neat features and functions, and I can't go into it all of them here. One new feature is the ability to plan a trip on MapQuest, then send it via OnStar to your NAV.

Overall, I prefer using the NAV over OnStar, but I like having OnStar as a backup, so I will keep it too. I think the directions feature is $100/year over regular OnStar, and I'll probably update the Nav only every other year instead, which will cost the same as updating yearly without Turn by Turn. I can write those expenses off to business, so that helps, too.

Gary Wells
08-14-09, 06:58 AM
Thanks, Mark, for the very informative & educational post. Many things that I had some not so correct beliefs about.

tedcmiller
08-14-09, 01:50 PM
To marktanner again -----
On the 12th of Aug. I asked you to explain the difference between two depression of the button on the steering wheel and holding it down for five seconds. You have carefully avoided answering that question. I pointed out at that time that one and two depressions were explained in the owner's manual, but there was no mention of the holding the button down for five seconds.

SlvrBullIT
08-14-09, 08:09 PM
So I was driving I-35 S back down to New Braunfels when bitchin betty chimed in..."Attention traffic accident ahead".... or some derivation. I was like......"That's new...." Looked on the Traffic tab and sure enough a tilted yellow car symbol was saying in a few miles an accident was ahead... I hear her again.."traffic accident ahead in 1.6 miles.." I hit avoid... take the avoid around the parking lot of I35 and right where the symbol was on the map is right where the dang accident was that was in the process of being cleaned up.... Then 5 mins later..... "traffic accident ahead in 2 miles..." I was like WTF...glitch?! Nope right where the yellow tilted car symbol was another accident that I avoided too!!!!! The XM NAV traffic is the shiznit.... Along with my mini ipod showing everything.... The system is just awesome!!! Still get a smile on my face when I drive my car... Even after I have a crappy day at work!!!

marktanner
08-18-09, 03:58 AM
Tedcmiller, my car was in the shop getting the seat fixed, and I didn't have access to the car or the owner's manual. Now I have the car back. The manual does not mention the ability to turn off the Stabilitrack, though I'm pretty sure the manual for the '08 CTS mentions it. In any event, I pressed the TC button, and after about 6-7 seconds of pressing the yellow triangle came on and "Stabilitrack Off" was displayed in the DIC. One click, and it was all back on again. Very simple, just keep pressing until the light comes on.

commander112
08-18-09, 07:59 AM
Another cool "feature" I like is the little sticker inside the drivers door showing that the car was made in Michigan! Some of you may not be big nationalists but I prefer cars that are designed and built here in America by the Detroit three. Living in Detroit and knowing many that have worked hard to build these cars, I know that when driving one I have to make no excuses for what I drive or justifications/rationalizations for not giving my support to my fellow countrymen (I nor my family do not have any connection to any auto maker). NOT trying to start the discussion just stating the feeling I get from this feature!

Mark

mik2718
08-18-09, 08:31 AM
Tedcmiller, my car was in the shop getting the seat fixed, and I didn't have access to the car or the owner's manual. Now I have the car back. The manual does not mention the ability to turn off the Stabilitrack, though I'm pretty sure the manual for the '08 CTS mentions it. In any event, I pressed the TC button, and after about 6-7 seconds of pressing the yellow triangle came on and "Stabilitrack Off" was displayed in the DIC. One click, and it was all back on again. Very simple, just keep pressing until the light comes on.

Yes, the '08 CTS manual says:

If you press the TC button once, the traction
control system will turn off and the Traction Control
System (TCS) Warning Light will flash. Press the
TC button again to turn the system back on. Press and
hold the TC button for five seconds or longer, to turn
the StabiliTrak® system off. The TCS/StabiliTrak®
warning light will flash. Press the TC button again to
turn StabiliTrak® back on.

jwa999
08-18-09, 11:45 AM
Yes, the '08 CTS manual says:

If you press the TC button once, the traction
control system will turn off and the Traction Control
System (TCS) Warning Light will flash. Press the
TC button again to turn the system back on. Press and
hold the TC button for five seconds or longer, to turn
the StabiliTrak® system off. The TCS/StabiliTrak®
warning light will flash. Press the TC button again to
turn StabiliTrak® back on.

And there are 2 distinct StabiliTrak off modes.
1) you hold down for 5 seconds and you have normal StabiliTrak off.
2) You first put it in Competitive mode (2 TC presses within 5 seconds) and *then* hold the TC for 5 seconds. Stabilitrak off and you still have the heavier steering.

Hans.

Z06ified
08-18-09, 03:33 PM
Z06ified:Thanks for your information about the “better” GM traction control than other competitors. It still puzzles me, however, why GM would not engineer a TC that would not “intercede” as quickly in order to better “mimic” what a driver might do to maximize acceleration.
Kyle

Yes, it is puzzling, because GM already has the technology and software to offer launch control similar to the Nissan GT-R's. Both the ZR-1, and the HHR SS (of all things) have launch control. Why they don't offer it on the CTS-V is a mystery GMism.

Nutz
10-12-09, 01:01 PM
"Ram Air" for the rear passenger's feet!
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af238/hpjim/P1030905.jpg
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af238/hpjim/P1030906.jpg

CTSV4now
10-12-09, 03:49 PM
Oh, so those are not "while driving" rear seat urinals?

Gary Wells
10-16-09, 09:27 AM
Only if you put the "big white mint" in them.

tedcmiller
10-16-09, 03:25 PM
Two posters have verified that the reference to holding down the TC button for more than five seconds is explained in the 2008 CTS manual. What I said that this is not explained in the 2009 CTS manual still holds true. It is not. Now, marktanner indicates that he has tried it on his 2009 CTS-V and it worked. I have not tried it on my 2009 CTS-V, but I will.

tedcmiller
10-16-09, 03:45 PM
Having read both the reprints from the 2008 CTS (there was no 2008 CTS-V) manual and what the 2009 CTS/CTS-V manal says, there was no mention in either of an extended (five seconds or more) third depression of the TC button. In the 2008 version, the second depression of five seconds put you in Competitive Driving mode. The same thing occurs when you depress the button quickly twice in the 2009 CTS. The question now is there any difference between Competitive Driving Mode and Stabilitrak Off. This is not clear in either the 2008 or the 2009 manuals. JWA999 seems to think there is, but this is not explained in either the reprints or the 2009 CTS/CTS-V manual.

tedcmiller
10-16-09, 09:26 PM
I pressed the TC button twice quickly and the DIC did indeed display "Stabilitrak Competitive Mode" as expected from the text on page 4-8 of the 2009 CTS-CTS-V manual. I then pressed the TC button again and held it for at least five seconds. When I released it the DIC displayed "Stabilitrak Off." Is this any different from "Stabilitrak Off" obtained by pressing the TC button once (page 4-7 of the 2009 CTS-V manual)? jwa999 seems to think so. Until I see a different display in the DIC, I am inclined to think that this operation is no different from pressing the TC button once on a 2009 CTS-V.

marktanner
10-19-09, 10:01 PM
One press of the traction control turns off the traction control. Two presses turns off the TC, and lets the stabilitrack hang the tail out more, plus it lessens the steering assist. This is competitive mode. Holding the TC for >5 sec turns everything off, and will say Stabilitrack Off. This is the only way I know of to disable the Stabilitrack, without pulling the fuse. It is NOT mentioned in the '09 manual for any CTS, but it is in the '08 manual, and it works just the same.

Has anyone checked this out in the '10 manual?

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 10:44 PM
I was enjoying this thread until someone got really anal about proper answers. The V2 is the same as V1 and what marktanner has said is true...

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 10:46 PM
Now, I'm still waiting for my dealer to send me my owners manual. So can someone confirm the MapQuest being sent to OnStar who then sends it to your NAV? Or do they just do the turn by turn over the speaker with indicators under the speedo?

roarkb
12-19-09, 11:25 PM
The mapquest feature allows you to go to mapquest on your PC and plan trip to download to your vehicle. Their is a link to download to Onstar on Mapquest. This works for all of my Onstar equiped vehicles. However, I think this was first available in 2007(?). You have to know the onstar number of the vehicle you need the directions to be sent to.

When you get in the vehicle you have to hit the onstar button and request the directions be started. I forget the exact command, but it is given to you by mapquest when you are doing the download to onstar.

I personally use the conceirge feature of onstar quite frequently and have found it to be very much worth the money. While traveling down the interstate, I hit the button and ask for a hotel 15-20 miles ahead on the road I am traveling on. They give me several options, then connect me to the hotel to make reservations.

I also use them to look up phone numbers and addresses of businesses in town. I have even used them to get the number of resturants so we can get reservations, so the table is ready when we arrive.

I get my $ worth out of it.

roarkb
12-19-09, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=marktanner;2037272]One press of the traction control turns off the traction control. Two presses turns off the TC, and lets the stabilitrack hang the tail out more, plus it lessens the steering assist. This is competitive mode. Holding the TC for >5 sec turns everything off, and will say Stabilitrack Off. This is the only way I know of to disable the Stabilitrack, without pulling the fuse. It is NOT mentioned in the '09 manual for any CTS, but it is in the '08 manual, and it works just the same.

marktanner is exactly correct. I discovered this by accident. I like to push buttons. The car is really fun to drive in this mode as you can really feel the awsome power of this incredible engine. There is an old airport nearby. It is really fun to go out and play in the various settings. Turn all the TC and Stabiltrack off and then play with the car till you get used to the power. There is nothing more exhilating than a power slide at 75mph. The power is there to get into trouble easy if you push the gas to hard. Be careful!

It is also fun to play with the g meter. I have seen the G meter go over 1.1g's on several occasions. Incredible for a 4 dr family sedan!!!!

All this while listening to tunes on my IPOD!!!

thebigjimsho
12-19-09, 11:41 PM
The mapquest feature allows you to go to mapquest on your PC and plan trip to download to your vehicle. Their is a link to download to Onstar on Mapquest. This works for all of my Onstar equiped vehicles. However, I think this was first available in 2007(?). You have to know the onstar number of the vehicle you need the directions to be sent to.

When you get in the vehicle you have to hit the onstar button and request the directions be started. I forget the exact command, but it is given to you by mapquest when you are doing the download to onstar.

I personally use the conceirge feature of onstar quite frequently and have found it to be very much worth the money. While traveling down the interstate, I hit the button and ask for a hotel 15-20 miles ahead on the road I am traveling on. They give me several options, then connect me to the hotel to make reservations.

I also use them to look up phone numbers and addresses of businesses in town. I have even used them to get the number of resturants so we can get reservations, so the table is ready when we arrive.

I get my $ worth out of it.
What I need to know is if the directions show up on your navigation screen?

4gear70
12-19-09, 11:52 PM
What I need to know is if the directions show up on your navigation screen?

I'm not sure but this might answer your question(s):

http://help.mapquest.com/jive/entry.jspa?externalID=542&categoryID=33

http://help.mapquest.com/jive/entry.jspa?externalID=740&categoryID=33

4gear70
12-20-09, 12:01 AM
According to this OnStar eNav (Mapquest) video, directions look to be voice prompts only (without the NAV screen)...

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/enav.jsp

tedcmiller
12-20-09, 12:51 AM
marktanner says that holding the TC button for five seconds turns off Stabilitrack and that is the only way he knows to do so. What about a single depression of the TC button which displays "Stabilitrack Off?" He also states that turning off Stabilitrack is not mentioned in the 2009 CTS/CTS-V manual, but it clearly is on page 4-7.

GMX322V S/C
12-20-09, 07:50 PM
Stabilitrack has two components: Traction Control (TC) and Yaw Control (YC): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/161508-need-help-traction-control.html#post1769212

tedcmiller
12-21-09, 12:46 AM
Is GMX322V S/Cs comment supposed to answer my concerns? It doesn't. Also, the owner's manual does not mention Yaw Control. The poster states this is a component of Stablitrack. Until I see something besides somone else's post about Yaw Control, I will have to assume that it doesn't actually exist.

thebigjimsho
12-21-09, 01:26 AM
Assume away...

proexpert
12-21-09, 01:43 AM
Ted,

Since we are splitting hairs now, it's not called Stablitrack, it's called StabiliTrak. And yes, I'm just someone else, so none of this really counts. But you should read on anyway.

StabiliTrak is more than simple traction control. The Corvette has a similar system called Active Handling as noted below. I have been driving Corvettes with this system since 1999.

StabiliTrak is the trademark name for General Motors' electronic stability control system. General Motor's introduced this system in their 1997 Cadillac. It then quickly became available on many company cars and trucks. By 2007, the StabiliTrak Control System was standard on all GM SUVs and vans sold in Canada and the U.S. with the exception of commercial and fleet vehicles.

As of February 2007, the StabiliTrak system was in the following vehicles:

• Buick – has the system in the Lucerne, LaCrosse, Terraza, and the Rainier
• Cadillac – is offered in CTS, Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV, STS, SRX, and the XLR
• Chevrolet – has the system in Avalanche, Corvette (here it is known as Active Handling), Express, Malibu, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer, Trailblazer EXT, Uplander, and the Equinox
• GMC - offers the system in the Acadia, Envoy, Envoy XL, Savana, Yukon, Yukon and the XL
• Hummer – the StabiliTrak is on the H3
• Pontiac – offers the system on G6, Grand Prix, Montana SV6, Vibe, Solstice GXP, Torrent
• Saab – the system is available on the 9-7X
• Saturn – installed StabiliTrak on the Relay, Outlook, Aura XR, Sky Red Line

How does it work?
Like any good electronic stability system, the StabiliTrak is designed to make driving safer by helping the vehicle to stay on its path when going around corners.

What happens is as a driver heads to fast into a corner, the tires can't grip the road and sends the vehicle either skidding or spinning out of control. Now the StabiliTrak system, using a complex set of sensors and a controller, sends a quick series of pumps to the individual brakes to help the vehicle pull out of the turn and stay straight on the road. The sensor can measure the difference between the angle of the steering wheel and the direction you are actually turning. Then, as defined by the situation, it uses precise for precision pressure on the right brakes to help the driver stay in the right direction.

The entire process happens so quickly that the driver's won't really know that it is going on. They won't even recognize the need for a correction in the steering it happens so fast. If they do suddenly recognize that they are heading into the corner too fast and pounce on the brakes, the system will still be able to detect and deal with the uneven braking problem.

The StabiliTrak in specific circumstances, like oversteering (fishtailing) and understeering (plowing) works like this:

Understeering – if a vehicle is an understeering position, then it turns less that it was intended to keep on its intended direction. Therefore, it will continue to move forward because the front wheels don't have the required traction to change direction. Here the stability system will gently brake the inside rear wheel to get the front end of the vehicle to follow the path of the curve.

Oversteering – when a vehicle oversteers, then it turns too much because the back of the vehicle now spins and slips out and away from the intended direction. The stability system will gently brake the outside front wheel to help bring the rear end of the vehicle back into line with the driver's intended path.

How to use the system:
The best thing you can do is read the owner's manual and practice getting comfortable with your system. Specifically,

• In an emergency, remember to apply brakes hard and stay on them.
• Don't pump your brakes. That is what you do if you have standard brakes. With StabiliTrak brakes, pumping stops them from being effective.
• These brakes do not make you stop quicker but they will help with your steering when you are braking. This helps you to steer around obstacles.
• At certain times, the StabiliTrak system may shorten your stopping distance.

As much as this system is there to help you out, it can't perform a miracle. Drive safely and don't depend on the StabiliTrak to get you out of trouble.

The 2008 model year marked the introduction of StabiliTrak 3.0, which gives the addition of steering correction, through use of the active front steering system (AFS). It is available as an option exclusively on the Cadillac STS4 V8 model. During panic situations, the system can adjust the steering angle by as much as 15 degrees. I think this is called yaw control.

In the SUVs, StabiliTrak also includes roll-over mitigation. See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlQXqvoFInA

Steve

Caddyscat
12-21-09, 02:10 AM
Thats some cool stuff.

GMX322V S/C
12-21-09, 02:53 AM
Don't even know why I bother. Dig a little deeper and you'd see jvp isn't just another poster. Enjoy the bliss.

mrichards
12-21-09, 09:21 AM
Forgetting StabiliTrak for a second...a cool feature is when the Nav system is extended and you press the icon for a business that is shown on the map and then press the dial icon/button for that business, the number will be dialed by your bluetooth linked phone.

Another cool feature, the blips on the tachometer.

4DR_ZR1
12-21-09, 04:21 PM
Ted,

Since we are splitting hairs now, it's not called Stablitrack, it's called StabiliTrak. And yes, I'm just someone else, so none of this really counts. But you should read on anyway.

StabiliTrak is ...................

Steve
^^^
But...but, it doesn't say any of that in Ted's owners manual, so.............

thebigjimsho
12-21-09, 07:28 PM
http://members.airsoftcanada.com/digital_assasin/Forum%20Stuff/Misc/oh_snap.gif

tedcmiller
12-21-09, 09:09 PM
While proexpert's explanation of how StabiliTrak was developed and works is both informative and lengthy, I still don't see any mention of Yaw Control in his words.

proexpert
12-21-09, 09:28 PM
Hey Ted read the bold text in my earlier post. I mentioned yaw control in the bold so you would not miss it.

The owners manual does not mention that the spark plug ignites the air/fuel mixture, so I wonder how the power is created?
Just friendly ribbing for my anal Cadillac brother. :D

In addition to all of that above, I believe yaw control is any device that causes the car to rotate. If this is assumed to be true, and considering StabiliTrak does cause the car to rotate by applying individual brakes, then I could conclude that StabiliTrak includes yaw control. Yes this is a big stretch for anal guys such as Ted and I, but it's what I believe to be true.

I'm hoping our Cadillac brothers in GM Engineering could add some official information to this discussion.

tedcmiller
12-21-09, 09:37 PM
Sorry I did miss the words "yaw control" in your bold text. However, I am only interested in what I read in published documentation - not someone's opinion. So far as I know, your opinion has not been published in any sort of authoritative literature.

proexpert
12-21-09, 09:42 PM
Well alrighty then. I take it you guys don't really like each other on this site. I'll go away now.

Jeffrey
12-22-09, 10:42 AM
Well alrighty then. I take it you guys don't really like each other on this site. I'll go away now.

Hi,

There are many kind people on this site who are very helpful. Clearly, you are one of them and I hope you decide to stay.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
12-22-09, 10:46 AM
However, I am only interested in what I read in published documentation - not someone's opinion. So far as I know, your opinion has not been published in any sort of authoritative literature.

Hi Ted,

Then, why do you spend time on this site reading "someone's opinion"? Why not spend all your available time reading "published documentation" and "authoritative literature"?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Z06ified
12-22-09, 11:04 AM
I believe yaw control is any device that causes the car to rotate. If this is assumed to be true, and considering StabiliTrak does cause the car to rotate by applying individual brakes, then I could conclude that StabiliTrak includes yaw control.

I agree with this statement, and StabiliTrak definitely includes yaw control, which it controls through individual wheel braking, rather than steering input. Same as the Corvette's system from the C5 through present.

GMX322V S/C
12-22-09, 12:25 PM
^^--Absolutely. YC is very easy to demonstrate in an empty, wet parking lot (or skidpad)--just get it to rotate by making a turn and giving it more gas than you know it needs and you can clearly feel the braking action on individual corners/sides of the car.

proexpert
12-22-09, 03:25 PM
Sorry I did miss the words "yaw control" in your bold text. However, I am only interested in what I read in published documentation - not someone's opinion. So far as I know, your opinion has not been published in any sort of authoritative literature.

Actually I have authored and published almost 100 technical/training manuals for engineers. I am a mechanical engineer and author both. No, none of my titles include the topic of yaw control, so this is a complete waste of my time, but fun nonetheless. :lildevil:

www dot cadquest dot com

tedcmiller
12-22-09, 03:52 PM
Jeffery,
I look at this forum to see if there are items that I should be concerned about. For example, the wheel clicking issue is not an opinion. It is a fact that has been reported by many CTS-V owners (me included) along with numerous potential fixes and actions by other CTS-V owners. I would likely not find any references to "wheel clicking" in published documentation or authoritative literature. Whether or not yaw control is a part of StabiliTrak is an opinion.

Jeffrey
12-22-09, 04:24 PM
Jeffery,
I look at this forum to see if there are items that I should be concerned about. For example, the wheel clicking issue is not an opinion. It is a fact that has been reported by many CTS-V owners (me included) along with numerous potential fixes and actions by other CTS-V owners. I would likely not find any references to "wheel clicking" in published documentation or authoritative literature. Whether or not yaw control is a part of StabiliTrak is an opinion.

Hi Ted,

Have you ever stated your opinion on this forum? If so, have you done it several times?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

GMX322V S/C
12-22-09, 04:39 PM
Hey everybody, did you know we have Variable Valve Timing (VVT)? It's documented right on the window sticker and on every one of my service orders! Cool feature.

thebigjimsho
12-22-09, 07:30 PM
It is not a fact, but an opinion, that my V has 556hp.

Low_ET
12-22-09, 09:02 PM
The CTS-V has Yaw Control. That is NOT an opinion.

StabiliTrak is Yaw Control. Stabilitrak is GM's Trademark. Yaw control is the generic term for what Stabilitrak is doing when it detects a difference between steering angle and car direction.

From Cadillac's Online Media Guide:
Stability enhancement: Four-channel StabiliTrak yaw control system

StabiliTrak:
Three key sensors keep the ABS and TC computer informed: one reads steering wheel angle, another reports lateral acceleration and the third measures yaw rate (rotational velocity about a vertical axis through the car's center of gravity). Vehicle speed is also monitored.

tedcmiller
12-23-09, 10:35 PM
I have only stated my opinion when I make it clear that it is an opinion and not a fact. I too am an engineer with a Masters degree and I too have written many books and articles. Those books and articles were primarily about microprocessors so I don't profess to know a lot about mechanical engineering. However, I still say that I have yet to see any references to yaw control in a GM publication. If there are any, please point them out.

thebigjimsho
12-24-09, 02:45 AM
They don't exist...

:mystery:

proexpert
12-24-09, 07:39 AM
Ted,

Please see this link for web info from GM using the words "control yaw" and other references to the word "yaw". Maybe you will not consider this published information since it is only an internet site and has not been verified by an independent publisher. I still hope one of our brothers in GM engineering can point us to a more published written document.

http://archives.media.gm.com/archive/documents/domain_10/docId_11545_pr.html

Three key sensors keep the ABS and TC computer informed: one reads steering wheel angle, another reports lateral acceleration and the third measures yaw rate (rotational velocity about a vertical axis through the car's center of gravity).

Sideslip Rate Control - This StabiliTrak enhancement - first applied in 2000 - helps control yaw and side slip events.

Happy Holidays

Z06ified
12-24-09, 10:34 AM
I have only stated my opinion when I make it clear that it is an opinion and not a fact. I too am an engineer with a Masters degree and I too have written many books and articles. Those books and articles were primarily about microprocessors so I don't profess to know a lot about mechanical engineering. However, I still say that I have yet to see any references to yaw control in a GM publication. If there are any, please point them out.

Ted - I don't know why you continue harping on this. GM's StabiliTrak, and virtually all Electronic Stability Control (ESC) systems have yaw control. As we previously mentioned, the system controls yaw by applying braking to individual wheels, rather than steering wheel input. The system employs yaw sensors and some include gyroscopes to measure yaw rate.

Here's a wikipedia article on ESC systems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

Here's a relevant quote from the article:

"Components and design

ESC incorporates yaw rate control into the anti-lock braking system (ABS). Yaw is rotation around the vertical axis; i.e. spinning left or right. Anti-lock brakes enable ESC to brake individual wheels.

...The sensors used for ESC have to send data at all times in order to detect possible defects as soon as possible. They have to be resistant to possible forms of interference (rain, holes in the road, etc.). The most important sensors are:

* Steering wheel angle sensor: determines the driver's intended rotation; i.e. where the driver wants to steer. This kind of sensor is often based on AMR-elements.
* Yaw rate sensor : measures the rotation rate of the car; i.e. how much the car is actually turning. The data from the yaw sensor is compared with the data from the steering wheel angle sensor to determine regulating action.
* Lateral acceleration sensor: often based on the Hall effect. Measures the lateral acceleration of the vehicle.
* Wheel speed sensor : measures the wheel speed.

This is for most ESC systems. GM's StabiliTrak works the same, and it definitely includes yaw sensors and yaw control.

Now, can we please let this topic die? :thehand:

MReiland
12-24-09, 10:58 AM
To help throw some dirt on it as we are burying it, the "Yaw Rate and Lateral Accelerometer" is located on the floorpan under the Right front seat, in your Service Manual Ted, you will see the diagnostic procedure to replace it, looks like this:

One of the main reasons you don't see much info on turning off Stabilitrak completely is that for most people it will cause more trouble than they could have ever believed (Lots of stories from Vette owners). Do some quick searching on the web and you will see countless stories of people thinking they are better drivers than they are and finding out how fast the back comes around in snap oversteer, best case you spin out in the grass or in a parking lot, worst case into a pole or tree.

Stabilitrak engaging to stop oversteer in a RWD car is usually fun in the snow, now having it engage in a FWD car to stop understeer is quite an erie feeling, the car appears go into a controlled skid to start an oversteer condition then takes you back out of that once you are pointed the right direction, really quite amazing. (Both my cars are FWD)

tedcmiller
12-24-09, 11:57 PM
The GM documentation pointed to by proexpert is the kind of stuff that I am looking for regarding yaw control. The entry in the service manual pointed out by MReiland is also good, provided it actually exists. I have a factory service manual for my car (the Helm version - four volumns) and I will look for this entry as soon as I get home.

In any case, my original question has never been answered. That is, is there any difference between "StabiliTrak Off" following one depression of the button and the same message that follows holding the button down for at least five seconds. Some people think that one depression only turns off part of the StabiliTrak control while the five second hold turns off all of it, including yaw control which, based on the information provided by proexpert (I still think that Internet name is very presumptuous), apparently does exist.

zyx5432
12-25-09, 10:36 AM
My opinion is that the Cadillacforums needs an ignore feature...that would be cool!

CoOlSlY
12-25-09, 10:40 AM
Guys, since it's a "Cool features" thread and we now know that the Stabilitrak is a cool features, I would suggest starting another thread speaking about the Stabilitrak and continue in this one to talk about the cool features of the V? Just a suggestion and it's not intended to shut anybody up, just want to stay "on track" with the thread subject.

thebigjimsho
12-25-09, 11:47 AM
My opinion is that the Cadillacforums needs an ignore feature...that would be cool!
We have one. Click on the toolshed's screenname, look at their profile and then click on User Lists and voila! Ignore...

Q8 6.2
12-29-09, 04:55 AM
WOW cant believe you forgot to say the total tunability of the CTS/V its the coolest,feature just hook up a laptop and edit hundreds of parameters i dont think there is car out there that gives this much control.. it is also the main reason why i bought this car as its a very mod friendly superchaged 6.2L all in one package

tedcmiller
12-29-09, 03:47 PM
"...hook up a laptop..." OK, where do you hook it up?

Q8 6.2
12-30-09, 02:13 AM
you can buy efilive software and they will send you OBD2 cable then you can have two way conversation with you car.. but be careful learn it before you use it...to get a idea go to there website and download free trial first.

this is truly the coolest feature of this car GM left the computer totally unlocked and gave us the keys so we can have trouble free modding..

Jeffrey
12-30-09, 11:06 AM
this is truly the coolest feature of this car GM left the computer totally unlocked and gave us the keys so we can have trouble free modding..

Hi,

How substantial is your V's performance improvement due to the computer mods you've made?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Z06ified
12-30-09, 11:42 AM
In any case, my original question has never been answered. That is, is there any difference between "StabiliTrak Off" following one depression of the button and the same message that follows holding the button down for at least five seconds. Some people think that one depression only turns off part of the StabiliTrak control while the five second hold turns off all of it, including yaw control which, based on the information provided by proexpert (I still think that Internet name is very presumptuous), apparently does exist.

I have to study the owner's manual on this, because the CTS-V's modes appear to be a little different than my '02 Z06's system. On the Z06, if you press the button quickly, it turns everything off: stability control and traction control. If you hold the button down for 5 seconds, it puts the system in "Competitive Driving" mode, which is traction control off, but stability control on, allowing you to use quite a bit of throttle induced oversteer, and even burnouts if you so choose.

I believe the V has similar modes, but one additional mode which I'm not sure what the difference is. Also, the button press sequence is different (i.e. pressing it once quickly does not turn everything off).

GMX322V S/C
12-30-09, 05:49 PM
When I press the button once, the amber TC icon turns on, but I do not get any message in the DIC. In this mode, TC appears inactive while YC remains active (demo: light it up in the wet in a straight line; slow down; now gas it and try to pitch it). Pressing twice (not too quickly--one Mississippi, two Mississippi), also lights up the amber TC icon and displays Competitive Mode in the DIC; TC off, but more "lenient" YC (demo: same as above, note difference when pitching it). Press and hold for several seconds: amber TC icon on, StabiliTrak Off in DIC; TC and YC completely off (demo: do some doughnuts).

(do not attempt these demos on public roads or anywhere it is unsafe to do so; please place curtain inside tub before using shower; smoking can kill you; do not use sprinkler head as a clothes hanger)

tedcmiller
12-30-09, 07:59 PM
The drawing shown by MReiland is, in fact, in the factory service manual on page 5-52 and again on 5-53. The part is called yaw rate and lateral accelerometer sensor. Apparently replacing this part requires that the yaw rate reference table be reset. All of this is part of the Antilock Brake System (ABS) part of the manual (section 5) as expected, since the control excercised by this system is acheived by activating the brakes appropriately.

Unlike some people (they know who they are) who have little to contribute beyond useless remarks, proexpert and MReiland determined that there are, in fact, GM documents that put yaw into the mix regarding StabiliTrak. Thanks to everyone who contributed in a helpful manner to this discussion.

kxb
12-31-09, 12:17 AM
Hi Ted -

That's mighty kind of you, thanking the constructive people out there. Nice job. And thank you for playing the pedantic engineer. What minor point would you like to argue next? :)

Q8 6.2
12-31-09, 12:29 AM
Hi,

How substantial is your V's performance improvement due to the computer mods you've made?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

its not all about performance its the whole package 4example... i didnt like how the V shifted early all the time so i moved it up a bit to where i like it also i like it to kick down faster and at higher speeds than the factory settings and how hard it would shift into the next gear and ofcourse i increased the performance i think i gained 20-25 HP :cool2: