: Will neutrality be less of a commonality

thebigjimsho
07-24-04, 11:05 AM
With many aspiring to ditch the stock tires and wheels for much wider rear versions while staying closer to stock in the fronts, what are your planned mods for reducing understeer.

I for one, have not driven on the track with the V. But I believe the most endearing quality of the V in the mags was the handling prowess. So, if we are going from 245mm F and R to a discrepancy of maybe 20-50mm between the F to R, what other mods can be done to get rid of the oncoming understeer.

Now, I changed around almost everything on my old '92 SHO. It was ultrastiff but with the right swaybar combo(which was 21mm F and 26mm R) it could 4 wheel drift when needed. those ultrawides on back will be great at the strip, but I've never been a big fan of the 1/4 mile. I care much more about getting that extra .2sec/lap.

Dreamin
07-24-04, 06:55 PM
If you want bigger wheels, most of the tuner's i've talked to say the best setup for handling w/stock suspension is 9" all the way around - the factory suspension is setup for F&R the same size. SCCA T2 cars run 9.5" square (but that wont work for a street car, as the fronts stick out too run).

Max difference between F & R can be upto 1" - i.e. 9F, 10R... at which point a big rear bar is needed to re-balance the car out. Personally, I dont like to use sway-bars to control understeer/oversteer... I like to run an equally stiffer bar front and rear... and then use spring-rate to control under/oversteer... it's much more effective (HMO). BUT for this car, i dont want to touch the springs... they are perfect for me... not too stiff, not too soft. So i'll will use a bigger rear bar for this car.

Of course if you have a lead foot, especially around corners... running 8.5F and 10R may not be a bad setup as it'll prevent the tail from coming around during a "whoa-sh*t-that-was-too-much-gas" moment (power-oversteer).

globed70
07-24-04, 08:17 PM
Some negative camber up front may help deal with the offset, and tire pressure can be adjusted as well...

ahahnu
03-31-09, 07:11 PM
With many aspiring to ditch the stock tires and wheels for much wider rear versions while staying closer to stock in the fronts, what are your planned mods for reducing understeer.

I for one, have not driven on the track with the V. But I believe the most endearing quality of the V in the mags was the handling prowess. So, if we are going from 245mm F and R to a discrepancy of maybe 20-50mm between the F to R, what other mods can be done to get rid of the oncoming understeer.

Now, I changed around almost everything on my old '92 SHO. It was ultrastiff but with the right swaybar combo(which was 21mm F and 26mm R) it could 4 wheel drift when needed. those ultrawides on back will be great at the strip, but I've never been a big fan of the 1/4 mile. I care much more about getting that extra .2sec/lap.
Did you ever get an answer for your question?

thebigjimsho
03-31-09, 07:16 PM
I put on Hotchkis sways and have 245F 275R rubber. I didn't notice any drastic change at Shenandoah in handling. Also, that's with widened rear wheels.

Nice bumpz, BTDubs...