: Clicking noise out of the supercharger?

qictrk
08-07-09, 10:22 PM
I think i blew it. I have the 9 1/2" pulley along with other power upgrades, but i had just put the tune back to stock. I forgot it had the stock tune and got on it hard. Long story short, it now has a loud clicking sound coming out of the supercharger. At least thats where it seems to be coming from. What do you guys think? Cecil.............

haterinc
08-07-09, 10:45 PM
talk to w4m because he sells a $77 part that goes in the supercharger because there is a piece in there that begins to click after time. it replaces it. i'm guessing that you might have aggravated this prematurely. i'm not really sure, but hopefully that might at least help you sleep tonight lol

CEO

Razorecko
08-07-09, 10:58 PM
its some kind of spring peice of sorts. I have the same loud arse ticking. And this was w/out any kind of tune or mod.

Nutz
08-07-09, 11:26 PM
OP said "loud clicking", most of us will have eventually have a "tick". We all will eventually get to deal with this problem (or so it seems). Here is a video compliments of Wait4Me Performance apparently addressing the issue. Possibly the OP's complaint.

Pay close attention at the 4:30 mark. Hope this helps.

sm4Jh_B2r6Y&eur
I hope GM is gearing up for this "tick" problem.

Gary Wells
08-07-09, 11:59 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/168532-idle-noises.html

qictrk
08-08-09, 12:12 AM
Looks like i need to replace a supercharger snout part. Oh well, it could have been worse. Thanks for the help. That video is a good one to follow for the repair work it looks like i'll have to do. Cecil............:crying2:

62Jeff
08-08-09, 12:15 AM
Looks like i need to replace a supercharger snout part.

Are you sure? Mine sounds like a can of loose marbles at idle, and it's bone stock with under 2,500 miles on it. It's made this noise since new. I just assume it's the plastic part with the spring that Jesse showed in his video.

qictrk
08-08-09, 12:49 AM
Are you sure? Mine sounds like a can of loose marbles at idle, and it's bone stock with under 2,500 miles on it. It's made this noise since new. I just assume it's the plastic part with the spring that Jesse showed in his video.
Mine didn't make noise when it was new and mine has only about 2800 miles on it and just started to make the noise. It shouldn't make that noise. You should take yours in and get it taken care of before you do more damage to the supercharger. I can't take mine in because its my own doing. You don't want to drive around with that much wear on the shaft. Cecil...........

Florian
08-08-09, 12:55 AM
gotta pay to play.

F

62Jeff
08-08-09, 01:24 AM
Mine didn't make noise when it was new and mine has only about 2800 miles on it and just started to make the noise. It shouldn't make that noise. You should take yours in and get it taken care of before you do more damage to the supercharger. I can't take mine in because its my own doing. You don't want to drive around with that much wear on the shaft. Cecil...........

According to what has been posted on this forum, Cadillac says the noise is "normal" as long as it goes away when you rev up the engine - and in my case it does go away with higher RPMs.

I'm hoping for a recall soon.

Florian
08-08-09, 01:34 PM
According to what has been posted on this forum, Cadillac says the noise is "normal" as long as it goes away when you rev up the engine - and in my case it does go away with higher RPMs.

I'm hoping for a recall soon.

Hold your breath on that one........never happen.

F

nynd
08-08-09, 03:39 PM
Engineering teams do perform long term durability testing. So I am sure they've seen and dealt with this issue. If it was a job stopper, they would have addressed it by now. I think the wear is probably initial wear and then may subside - albeit you may still have the marble noise at idle. If there is a long term issue, thats where warranty will come in.

Gary Wells
08-08-09, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately, I am doubtful that GM will ever step up to the plate on this one. Time will tell down the road. If they have already addressed it as normal, I don't see much hope.

qictrk
08-08-09, 05:13 PM
I can still hear the clicking at higher rpms with the window down and the car in park. When driving, you probably can't hear it with all the road noise. I just worry that if i don't replace it, further damage will be done. Cecil..............

62Jeff
08-08-09, 05:43 PM
My only saving grace, is that I'll probably only put 4 or 5k miles on this car a year, so if this proves to be serious, what happens to other cars over the next year or so should serve as a leading indicator of what I can expect - and what action to take.

marcw
08-08-09, 06:44 PM
Jesse's Youtube video above is worth watching. i ordered his torsional isolator after watching it. Guess what! i had the same wear on the SC input shaft as shown on the video...maybe worse, after 2500 miles! Where does all that metal dust go??? Into the motor I would guess...not good. problem (and sound) solved now. I would NOT wait for the general to issue a recall on this!
http://www.terrapacifica.com/smilies/Lecture.gif

radix
08-08-09, 09:17 PM
Jesse's Youtube video above is worth watching. i ordered his torsional isolator after watching it. Guess what! i had the same wear on the SC input shaft as shown on the video...maybe worse, after 2500 miles! Where does all that metal dust go??? Into the motor I would guess...not good. problem (and sound) solved now. I would NOT wait for the general to issue a recall on this!
http://www.terrapacifica.com/smilies/Lecture.gif

I would be careful here - take a look at CTV154's thread over at the 04-07 V group - we don't know why the standard part is the way it is - but we do know that GM has many hundred thousands of miles of testing on it - Jesse's part ?

If you shear the pins off the snout, you are on your own. These vibration isolators are not as simple as they seem sometimes. The standard part looks more expensive and complicated then a simple urethane puck- who knows, maybe the engineers made it that way for a reason...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/176799-maggie-spins-but-i-have-no-3.html

wait4me
08-10-09, 11:46 AM
Im using the SAME OEM material as is recommended for that part. That is why they cost me 77 bucks just in the material and machining..

radix
08-10-09, 01:12 PM
Im using the SAME OEM material as is recommended for that part. That is why they cost me 77 bucks just in the material and machining..

I think you abuse the term OEM here. We know in other applications a simple puck isolator is used, we also know that GM/Eaton, based on thousands of hours of dyno and durability testing has chosen to use a different design with a steel torsion spring as part of the design for this car. Looking at the parts it doesn't seem to be a cost saving measure, so they must have had other criteria in mind - If you know what these were, let us know. How many miles do you have on your part so far?

Sorry, but when something seems like a no-brainer, I have to ask if perhaps the whole picture is known. Perhaps the application engineers at GM or Eaton will explain the whys of the 09V design vs. others that use the puck.

This part has high HP going through it at close to 20,000 rpm. It makes me nervous to have people putting at risk many thousands of dollars and voiding their warranty by replacing a part that is not broken with what is basically an untested design. YMMV

wait4me
08-10-09, 01:59 PM
I have 10,000 HARD miles on mine. Not sissy miles. Im talking drag runs, dyno pulls, and track days. TONS. 3/4 of its miles have been wide open throttle.

Why dont you call eaton and ask them why they where forced to use it? Im sure it would be a sore subject for them.