: Rear End Exploded!

topps
07-24-04, 09:29 AM
My 2005 CTS-V's rear end exploded after a somewhat mild launch. I launched at 3500 rpm's and the wheel hop was so bad that when the tires finally got grip it blew apart the entire rear end. The drive shaft shattered and the rear diff exploded and melted all the parts. My only conclusion is that it was caused by the massive wheel hop. That shouldn't happen to a car with no mods. The dealership said they have no idea when they will get the parts to fix it since they don't even have the part numbers.

These cars should be able to handle their own power. I hope in the future there will be some way to beef up the rear end. I don't know how tunner's are increasing the hp with the stock rear end. :annoyed:

thebigjimsho
07-24-04, 09:58 AM
well, you've got a few days left until the end of the BMR group buy. If you want to reduce the wheel hop(which will obviously grenade your rear end time after time after time), get the brace and ditch the runflats.

StealthV
07-24-04, 10:32 AM
Ouch! :disappoin

How about having the dealer order '04 parts to get you back on the road?

topps
07-24-04, 10:33 AM
Already ordered it before it happened. Ordered everything but the the toe rods. I heard that they don't do much, but I might just order them anyway after this. Every little bit counts I geuss.

baf_ctsv
07-24-04, 02:05 PM
The more I read the more I think the rear ends are simply way under designed. Seems to me that a "serious" performance car should not have this type of problem. Even though my diff does not seem to have these problems now, I wonder about what it will be like in a year. This is a fun car but no fun if it is in the shop!

jspinetto
07-24-04, 02:32 PM
From what I understand these diffs are the Getrag model from the Vette. Anyone else know about this?

Rich H
07-24-04, 08:59 PM
I have heard of a few other castrophic failures of the rear end but these were at the dragstrip. I don't understand how parts could have melted unless you had performed several runs prior to the failure and the whole assembly overheated and failed. Also, when you say it "exploded" I sounds like the internal parts came through the housing. If the drive shaft shattered I assume you're talking about the main shaft not the half shafts - although this is the first I've heard of this happening.

Lesson to be learned from all this - wheel hop is very destructive to all rear drivetrain components. I'm going easy on my V until Cadillac or an aftermarket supplier gets this fixed.

JEM
07-25-04, 02:19 PM
From what I understand these diffs are the Getrag model from the Vette. Anyone else know about this?

If so, it's in a completely different case, since there's nothing remotely like a Vette transaxle under the CTS-V.

Devil_concours
07-25-04, 03:32 PM
according to wildwhl's post, rear diff they put in his car matches the part that they put in for my regular 3.6 cts and it seems to struggle with 3.6l cts.

StealthV
07-25-04, 03:43 PM
Strange that the part numbers are the same since I thought the V is the only model of the CTS with the 3.73 ratio. :hmm:

wildwhl
07-25-04, 10:46 PM
Strange that the part numbers are the same since I thought the V is the only model of the CTS with the 3.73 ratio. :hmm:

I'm getting a little concerned about all of this. The part number listed has a description of differential carrier...definition Miscreant? My understanding was that this was a complete differential - housing, guts, etc.

The 3.6l CTS has a different gear ratio, correct?

Curious...

JEM
07-26-04, 12:07 AM
I'm getting a little concerned about all of this. The part number listed has a description of differential carrier...definition Miscreant? My understanding was that this was a complete differential - housing, guts, etc.

The diff carrier is the housing.

Then you add to that the diff, the ring and pinion gears, various bearings and flanges and so forth, and you have the entire assembly that goes under the car.

topps
07-26-04, 01:16 PM
I have heard of a few other castrophic failures of the rear end but these were at the dragstrip. I don't understand how parts could have melted unless you had performed several runs prior to the failure and the whole assembly overheated and failed. Also, when you say it "exploded" I sounds like the internal parts came through the housing. If the drive shaft shattered I assume you're talking about the main shaft not the half shafts - although this is the first I've heard of this happening.

Lesson to be learned from all this - wheel hop is very destructive to all rear drivetrain components. I'm going easy on my V until Cadillac or an aftermarket supplier gets this fixed.

I had been on the highway and hour or so before this happened. The drive shaft broke apart at the pinion and cracked the housing.