: Quick Oil Question

Bluenose1
08-07-09, 10:13 AM
I have a '97 Seville, loving it so far! Used to own a '92 Deville that I also loved, but it (RIP) got totalled by a garbage truck.:crying2:
However, I still have a case of Rotella 15/40 that I used for that car. Will that oil also be OK for this car? The car is in spectacular condition inside and out and I don't want to ruin it.

Ranger
08-07-09, 10:43 AM
It should do no harm.

Sevillian273
08-07-09, 11:05 AM
Theres no such thing as a quick oil question around here! lol...

Bluenose1
08-08-09, 06:39 AM
TY, Ranger.
Sevillian, I am getting that vibe around here. Thing is...a Cadillac is a joy to own and drive, why would you begrudge it it's vital fluids? It's totally worth it and if you don't think so, perhaps you are driving the wrong car for you.

Sevillian273
08-08-09, 09:11 AM
TY, Ranger.
Sevillian, I am getting that vibe around here. Thing is...a Cadillac is a joy to own and drive, why would you begrudge it it's vital fluids? It's totally worth it and if you don't think so, perhaps you are driving the wrong car for you.

My Seville gets 5.5 quarts of Mobil One EP and a Purolator PureOne filter every 5000 miles. Would you care to explain to me how I begrudge my cars vital fluids? Yeah, maybe I should go lease a Hyundai.... or maybe a KIA? Then I'll weld the hood shut and have my oil changed at the dealership with recycled mystery oil from an unmarked drum every 3k. :cookoo:

Do a search on this forum and you will see why there is no quick oil question. Do your research here and elsewhere and choose which brand of oil you think is best for your car and go with it.

Here's a challenge: Go find a thread about oil with LESS THAN 10 posts!:D

Submariner409
08-08-09, 09:19 AM
He didn't understand that you were using a tongue-in-cheek referral to starting another "What Oil Should I Use ?" war.

Bluenose 1, Please understand that your question has been asked and replied to, over and over, at least a thousand times in CF over the years, there is no pat answer, and EVERY automobile owner has a pet preference for oil, filters, and gasolines. Some of the oil threads have had hundreds of replies, posts, opinions, name-calling, bum dope, good dope, and flat lies.

Advising a Cadillac owner of what oil to use is akin to trying to tell a man what whiskey to drink. You don't get very far.........:lildevil:

(FWIW, Shell Rotella 15W-40 is a high quality heavy duty diesel rated fleet/marine oil. If you live in a climate where the temperature never drops below 50 degrees it will be fine during the summer months. In the colder months it is too heavy for automotive engine general use, especially in a tight-tolerance Northstar, unless your engine has a block heater. For your '97, Rotella in a 10W-30 grade would be an ideal year-round lubricant.)

Sevillian273
08-08-09, 09:28 AM
OPINION: 40 weight sounds a little heavy for a northstar, or any car if it has less than 100K miles. But I use it in my ford 5.0 which has over 258K miles - the 15/40 quiets it down a bit and reduces the oil burning. Opinions are all you're going to get when it comes to oil.

FACT: Jack Daniels. :yup:

abs
08-08-09, 11:43 PM
He didn't understand that you were using a tongue-in-cheek referral to starting another "What Oil Should I Use ?" war.

Bluenose 1, Please understand that your question has been asked and replied to, over and over, at least a thousand times in CF over the years, there is no pat answer, and EVERY automobile owner has a pet preference for oil, filters, and gasolines. Some of the oil threads have had hundreds of replies, posts, opinions, name-calling, bum dope, good dope, and flat lies.

Advising a Cadillac owner of what oil to use is akin to trying to tell a man what whiskey to drink. You don't get very far.........:lildevil:

(FWIW, Shell Rotella 15W-40 is a high quality heavy duty diesel rated fleet/marine oil. If you live in a climate where the temperature never drops below 50 degrees it will be fine during the summer months. In the colder months it is too heavy for automotive engine general use, especially in a tight-tolerance Northstar, unless your engine has a block heater. For your '97, Rotella in a 10W-30 grade would be an ideal year-round lubricant.)

What he said! :thumbsup:

32vmonte
08-09-09, 07:04 PM
I have read somewhere to use 15-40 rotella for break in a a fresh rebuild. Is that a good idea?

It was someone on here that posts quiet often.

That would be a nice route for me too, I can get it for half of my works cost which is about 1.50 a quart. After that I can do full syn. oil changes for about 20 bucks.

Ranger
08-09-09, 10:02 PM
They have special break in oils for that or add GM's EOS (if it is still available).

Submariner409
08-10-09, 09:36 AM
When an engine is rebuilt, either top overhaul or full rebuild, there will never be a time in that engine's life when the tolerances are tighter. It is completely backwards to run a heavy fleet/marine oil in a new installation with its high flow and cooling requirements (oil performs almost 50% of an engine's internal cooling needs........). If you're running a flat tappet lifter/follower setup, a 10W-30 HD oil, such as Rotella, is perfectly adequate for breakin. For roller setups, use whatever oil is specified in your owner's manual for the temperature extremes expected.

Just for grins and kicks, take a half pint glass jar of a good 15W-40 oil and sit it in your 38 degree refrigerator overnight. Tomorrow morning, pour it into another jar. Thick, isn't it ?? Want that trying to circulate in your new engine ???

Comp Cams, Edelbrock, many cam companies have break-in lubricants, designed to be used correctly and sparingly. Break-in lubes are NOT general purpose oils.