: Rain Sensor Wipers

OlManRivah
08-06-09, 03:37 PM
How sweet it is! My Eldo had these and were on or off maybe.

This STS-4 worked flawlessly. As the rain started they came on. As the rain got harder they worked faster. As the rain slowed so did the wipers and went intermittent. The sun came out and they shut off.

GM got this right......:thumbsup:

next2pool
08-06-09, 04:58 PM
I had them on my 2001 Aurora and they never were quite right. I agree the programming on the STS is pretty darn good. If they would only bypass the headlights on mode, it would be perfect.

mapmaker
08-06-09, 06:21 PM
I agree, this is one of the best / most impressive features.

prospyder
08-06-09, 06:55 PM
My Rainsensors work well, too. However, at one point I did something that turned the feature off -- as noted by the parking lamps lighting instead of headlamps when the ignition is on -- and the owner's manual is a bit vague about the procedure for turning the rain-sensing feature back on. I finally got it on again.
Missouri state law requires headlights to be on anytime wipers are needed, so the "headlights on" feature when Rainsensor is operational is an advantage here, even though it may shorten the life of the headlamp bulbs.

OlManRivah
08-06-09, 09:16 PM
Now Headlights is a different story. There are so many configurations for Headlights, Running Lights, and Fog Lights, I never know whats on....lol!:worship:

MacMuse
08-06-09, 10:52 PM
... There are so many configurations for Headlights, Running Lights, and Fog Lights, I never know whats on...

Which is why people probably think I'm nuts. I pull up behind a shiny car at a stop light and play with a light switches while I can see the reflection in the car in front of me and get used to what lights are on based on the setting and daylight levels. :hide:

carter's_sts
08-07-09, 01:26 AM
Just used my rain sense wipers today on a road trip. They are great! Too bad the STS needs to be washed again. ;)

widmann@hotmail.com
08-07-09, 08:03 AM
Just don't forget to turn them off before entering a carwash... :) that's happened to me a few times

MacMuse
08-07-09, 10:42 AM
Rainsense just needs one more feature... To stay Off if the car is in neutral or park (i.e., in a car wash).

next2pool
08-07-09, 01:07 PM
Rainsense just needs one more feature... To stay Off if the car is in neutral or park (i.e., in a car wash).

That's a pretty good idea--I'm surprised that after all these years and models with rain sense that they haven't reprogrammed these to take care of some of the obvious issues.

OlManRivah
08-07-09, 07:21 PM
Rainsense just needs one more feature... To stay Off if the car is in neutral or park .

It's for 'ol coots like me to watch the babes in the parking lot while it's raining :stirpot:

cooncat
08-09-09, 09:44 PM
I only use the rain sense when it is raining. Otherwiise it stays off.

I have a question for you guys. What objection do you have of the DRL's? They are there for your safety and they don't do you any harm. Also in Florida, it is a state law that when the wipers are on, the headlights have to be on, also for your safety. I can't tell you how many times I see jerks driving in a heavy rain with no lights on. You can't see them in that kind of rain. People just don't care anymore.

Greg00coupe
08-09-09, 09:56 PM
I think we want to leave the rain sensors on 24/7. But if it is sunny out we want the lights to go out. Put the neutral/[ark feature in and it's perfect. Just let the auto lights work independent of the rain sensors.

corvette00
08-10-09, 08:53 AM
I agree, I do not like the headlights on when the wipers are turned on and not in use

MacMuse
08-10-09, 11:45 AM
If my car/gov't requires my lights on during the day, I at least prefer to have white lights on instead of orange parking lights (looks extra stupid on a white car). Guess I'm going to try getting used to running with rain sense on.

On previous cars I often ran in the rain with wipers completely off. I much prefer the effect from a good coat of Rain-X. Water just flying off the windshield by itself, especially in the area untouched by wipers at the top edge of the windshield which is my primary line of sight.

cooncat
08-10-09, 12:16 PM
Like I said in a previous post, I only use the rainsense when it is raining, otherwise they are off and the lights are off, as simple as that. The DRLs are on otherwise.

OlManRivah
08-10-09, 12:49 PM
When it's sunny and little chance of rain I run with the rain sensor off. But, if it's cloudy or a chance of rain I run them on. Works for me.....:)

KARL DAHLEN
08-10-09, 01:27 PM
I turn mine on when it first starts to rain. Save headlight bulbs and wipers in a carwash.